SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 11-22-2013   #241
Steelie
hakuna matata... wait what?

More icy tunes is what I'd like to see (or hear). Nothing in the existing soundtract needs removing, maybe a revamp in tunes or something like that.

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #242
MrPixl
Ahem.

All those empty tunes slots should be filled...most that are are isolated from others and are hard to find...I think it has association with the map selection, but still.
MrPixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #243
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

They're not really that hard to find if you just use the MusicSlots page on the SRB2 Wiki.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #244
Espyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman404 View Post
Listen to things like Green Flower Zone 1 and Super Theme. They're just outdated and badly composed by current standards
What're you talking about? They're fairly catchy, sound right and are structurally good enough. Unless you meant current-current standards, in which a "good" song repeats the same pattern and lyrics over and over.

Quote:
not to mention the instruments are also terrible in places sometimes for a Sonic game. Really, is the first map of the game using... a clarinet?
It fits. GFZ is meant to be a peaceful meadow, so why not? Is Sonic defined by guitars and brass? Of course not. Heck, some songs could even have a jaw harp, so long as it fits.
Old 11-30-2013   #245
VelocitOni
KartKrew Dev

The issue is that Green Flower doesn't even manage to sound peaceful, its just flat out boring and gets annoying to hear over time, and doesn't fit the pace of the game-play. 'Catchy' has nothing to do with being a good song, catchy is just a way of getting a song to stick in your head for an extended period no matter what the quality of it is; if catchy and repetition alone were a good thing, then Sonic 4's soundtrack would be a masterpiece.

The super theme is the most mellow and repetitive ear assault I've ever heard, coming much closer to Sonic & Knuckles' invincibility theme than anything in the contest of most irritating tiny jingles. Yeah its pretty hard to be mellow and at the same time assault one's ears, but it manages to by being being the least dynamic song in the game, while also being one of the shortest; and to add onto that you're forced to listen to it for a minimum of fifty seconds, nearly a minute. A super theme should be suited for 50 seconds or higher. A short jingle is made to be used for a short period, what we have now is like listening to the starman theme ring for two hours. This is one of those areas where SRB2 didn't need to mimic the classics when it could do better, just because they had tiny jingles that were remixes of the title screen's tune doesn't mean it needs to do the same.

I never said Sonic had to be defined by guitars and brass or even implied it, other instruments can be put to great use or at the very least sound high quality. I've even heard Sonic games commonly using things like violins in the instrumentation.

It's not like the development team doesn't realize this though. I'm sure the issue is that they have no willing members to compose new music for them, which is the bigger problem. Then again there's tons of willing Sonic fans all over places like YouTube and SonicRetro (here it comes :D) with tons of talent that could be put to use on the team if they just searched out for them. So eh, I don't even know.

Last edited by VelocitOni; 12-01-2013 at 12:19 AM.
VelocitOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #246
Jayoshi
Younger than SRB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espyo View Post
It fits. GFZ is meant to be a peaceful meadow, so why not? Is Sonic defined by guitars and brass? Of course not. Heck, some songs could even have a jaw harp, so long as it fits.
Should note that the use of the clarient is bad, not merely the fact that it's there.

In my opinion, the melodies of all the songs are at least okay, but the instrumentation of a lot of the tracks is quite outdated. Not that I've ever really cared about SRB2's soundtrack, but just saying.
Old 12-01-2013   #247
Burning-Fox
Does not approve of rails.

Quote:
The super theme is the most mellow and repetitive ear assault I've ever heard, coming much closer to Sonic & Knuckles' invincibility theme than anything in the contest of most irritating tiny jingles. Yeah its pretty hard to be mellow and at the same time assault one's ears, but it manages to by being being the least dynamic song in the game, while also being one of the shortest; and to add onto that you're forced to listen to it for a minimum of fifty seconds, nearly a minute. A super theme should be suited for 50 seconds or higher. A short jingle is made to be used for a short period, what we have now is like listening to the starman theme ring for two hours.
...But son, almost every sonic game ever has a horrible super theme. Sonic Colors' one is recent and THAT is shorter. But it sounds good. The SRB2 one sounds epic and with the correct instruments for a revamp, it could be legendary. :I
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm a thief.
Burning-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #248
speed2411
*Speed-Roid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning-Fox View Post
...But son, almost every sonic game ever has a horrible super theme.
Okay, so whatever all the other Sonic games have, Srb2 must have too. I thought our goal was to make Srb2 stand out from all the other Sonic games. Is that not why we like Srb2 so much? Because it's unique.

I don't think any of the tunes should be replaced. What they should do it organize the tunes, and make a couple more remixes. Nostalgia will always play a big part here, but sometimes it's better to make a change. Personally, we should not do anything to the tunes yet...

Just more organization and remixes. Other then that, everything should stay the same, but I can't speak for everyone here.

Spoiler:
Clearly, I controlled your mind to make you open this spoiler box. You cant resist my power!! I shall control your mind. ^_^
speed2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #249
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?

Quote:
The super theme is the most mellow and repetitive ear assault I've ever heard, coming much closer to Sonic & Knuckles' invincibility theme than anything in the contest of most irritating tiny jingles.
I could never squeeze a Super Sonic theme out of our composers, so at the last minute I threw one together, using the title screen MIDI as a base.

Arrow did end up having an unfinished MIDI, which you can have assault your ears here: http://ssntails.srb2.org/SuperSonic.mid
Old 12-02-2013   #250
VelocitOni
KartKrew Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning-Fox View Post
...But son, almost every sonic game ever has a horrible super theme. Sonic Colors' one is recent and THAT is shorter. But it sounds good. The SRB2 one sounds epic and with the correct instruments for a revamp, it could be legendary. :I
That sounds like you may just be blinded by nostalgia and you didn't read the end of my second paragraph. But I'd rather not discuss this further anyways.

SSN: You mean that didn't originate from SRB2SBAHJ? Oh Lord it sounds even worse here. :V

Last edited by VelocitOni; 12-02-2013 at 06:14 AM.
VelocitOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #251
SSNTails

What is SRB2SBAHJ?
Old 12-02-2013   #252
Boinciel
ヒトデパンと奇妙なジャム
Developer

You're credited in it, and you didn't even have to do anything!

hubjim
Boinciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #253
Eblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails View Post
Arrow did end up having an unfinished MIDI, which you can have assault your ears here: http://ssntails.srb2.org/SuperSonic.mid
Aside from the obvious roughess, I think that one sounds pretty good. Then again, I may just be comparing it to the current theme.
Eblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #254
speed2411
*Speed-Roid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails View Post
What is SRB2SBAHJ?
Since no one really told him...

Unless he was kidding. Then I would feel like a complete idiot.

Spoiler:
Clearly, I controlled your mind to make you open this spoiler box. You cant resist my power!! I shall control your mind. ^_^
Old 12-17-2013   #255
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Why on earth are you linking to a google url leading to the thread?

Just link to the thread directly! http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=37634

(Besides which SSN actually posted in the thread itself, funnily enough)

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 12-17-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2013   #256
MrPixl
Ahem.

SRB2 needs some secret levels (other than Neo Aerial Garden).
MrPixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #257
VelocitOni
KartKrew Dev

Azure Temple Zone.

Mario Koopa Blast.

SRB1.
Old 12-20-2013   #258
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Don't forget Spring Hill Zone.

Old 12-20-2013   #259
SSNTails

Very surprisingly, popping SRB2SBAHJ into YouTube gave me my answer. I remember it, but I never tried it. Maybe I should.
Old 12-20-2013   #260
speed2411
*Speed-Roid*

Quote:
Azure Temple Zone.

Mario Koopa Blast.

SRB1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
Don't forget Spring Hill Zone.
I think he means Srb2 needs MORE secrets. Mabye a "Srb2 Archives" secret like Mystic Realm has.

Spoiler: