vBulletin censored in user title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To prevent advertising or impersonation, almost certainly.

There's a long list of stuff that's censored, vBulletin is one of the defaults.

Some things that get censored online make no sense. Same for web blocking software. I remember back at CCHS (the high school I went to in 9th grade), we had a blocker called WebSense, which blocked any site that contained a long list of words. On that list were "Uncategorized" and "Not Allowed". Sometimes it even blocked sites that were crucial to our schoolwork, necessitating administrator intervention that often took hours and delayed our assignments.

Happily, my second high school had no web blockers whatsoever. For a brief time, it used SonicWall, but it was a pathetically wimpy blocker that did basically nothing, and soon was scrapped entirely. We were on the honor system not to visit harmful or offensive sites, and were actually allowed to play games online provided that we put work before pleasure.

Some things that get censored online make no sense. Same for web blocking software. I remember back at CCHS (the high school I went to in 9th grade), we had a blocker called WebSense, which blocked any site that contained a long list of words. On that list were "Uncategorized" and "Not Allowed". Sometimes it even blocked sites that were crucial to our schoolwork, necessitating administrator intervention that often took hours and delayed our assignments.

Happily, my second high school had no web blockers whatsoever. For a brief time, it used SonicWall, but it was a pathetically wimpy blocker that did basically nothing, and soon was scrapped entirely. We were on the honor system not to visit harmful or offensive sites, and were actually allowed to play games online provided that we put work before pleasure.

I know your feeling. My school runs WebSense.

Note that there's a bug with the uncategorized filtering, add a ? to the end of an url to get by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back