Sonic Series As A Whole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yugi2

This may be strange for me [serioustopiclololo], and I know you've probably heard this a million times. But, as we all know, the Sonic series has been taking quite the downward run. The Sonic series is lackluster. The Genesis games were quite good, same for the Adventure series. However, it all started sucking at Sonic Heroes. After that, everything went for the worse. It became more focus on graphics and story rather than gameplay.

And now, something slightly related.

Alas, poor Sonic The Hedgehog. I knew it, gamers. A game of infinite humor, of most excellent fancy. It hath borne me on incredible gameplay a thousand times. Now, abhorred in my imagination it is...my gorge RIMS at it (whatever the hell that means). Here hung this cartridge I have inserted into my Genesis I know not how oft. Where be your Badniks now? Your Robotnik? Your Spin Dash? Your flashes of wackiness that were wont to set gamers on a roar? Not one now, to mock your own Chao? Quite chap-fallen? Now, get ye to SEGA's chamber, and tell them, let them stop the douchebaggery of your characters that are original, to this favor they must come. Make them laugh at that...

Yugi2 said:
Alas, poor Sonic The Hedgehog. I knew it, gamers. A game of infinite humor, of most excellent fancy. It hath borne me on incredible gameplay a thousand times. Now, abhorred in my imagination it is...my gorge RIMS at it (whatever the hell that means). Here hung this cartridge I have inserted into my Genesis I know not how oft. Where be your Badniks now? Your Robotnik? Your Spin Dash? Your flashes of wackiness that were wont to set gamers on a roar? Not one now, to mock your own Chao? Quite chap-fallen?

You lost me there.

I'm pretty sure we have 10 topics about this. But anyway,

I wholeheartedly agree. Well, unleashed was pretty good for the Wii, and even made Sonic faster. But SEGA needs to give the series a little more... ya know... Pizazz. I wouldn't mind more E10+ rated games, and maybe a T one (unlikely to ever happen).

Quite simply, Sonic is doing something different in every game. While the quality of the games is debatable, it's definitely more refreshing than Nintendo's constant rehashes.

That's true. With mario, you're just doing the same thing "save the princess, save the princess from bowser, get all the power stars to save the princess, travel through space to save the princess" Same thing with Zelda. Majora's Mask was about the only Zelda game that didn't seem like deja vu. And Kirby...well, he's alright. At least I still can laugh when he gets smooched by a Leap on The Amazing Mirror.

But on the other hand, Sonic has been taking steps toward his grave. I was close to giving up on it until I found SRB2. It reminds me of the way Sonic should be: Just running through the level, bashing robots and hitting Eggman 8 times to beat him. I don't get why they just don't go back to that. They could remake Sonic 2 and 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

<sarcasm>Ah, but hell, what do we know?</sarcasm>

Honestly, mario had many changes in gameplay.
Super mario bros 3 introduced a lot of different powerups and gameplay elements.
Same as with SMW. SMW2 was a completely different game.
Super mario 64 was the first in 3D so you can't say it copied of any other mario game. Then mario sunshine, which didn't change much, only FLUDD, which from what I see could have been done way better. You can say mario sunshine was a lame and lazy attempt to change the formula.
Galaxy, although it has some mario 64 moves, it's a completely different game, it's not single big levels but annoyingly small planetoids and crap.
But it still retains some core stuff from Mario 64, so you CAN say mario galaxy is a spiced up mario 64.
Legend of zelda, on the other side, really seems a bit repetitive, which was what they aimed to change with lol werelink in Twilight Princess.
Besides, as long as you add new puzzles, and a new gameplay elements (Wiimote controlled bows, swords, and more) it could stand right by its own.
After all, wasn't RE4 Wii just that game with wiimote? It's been critically acclaimed though. But yeah, RE4Wii is the same game as any other RE4 so it doesn't apply to my argument.
Why the hell did I mention it?

Arf said:
After all, wasn't RE4 Wii just that game with wiimote? It's been critically acclaimed though. But yeah, RE4Wii is the same game as any other RE4 so it doesn't apply to my argument.
Why the hell did I mention it?

Resident Evil 4 used the Wiimote to aim; people claim it the best version, however, I like to sit down when I play.
It just adds the new modes from PS2, with better graphics, and new aiming, so yeah, it's very different.

As for Sonic, it's just boring me now.
Heroes was bleh, Secret Rings was terribly boring.
2006 had alot of glitches, Sonic Unleashed just damn right bores me.
Sonic Team have put me off Sonic since Heroes.
Very sad, really. How many versions of Sonic do we have?
Sonic, Super Sonic, Some Blue Sonic from SR, Werehog, that black Sonic from Sonic X, my God man, wat.

Arf said:
I didn't enjoy Super Mario Galaxy, and I can't remember why I enjoyed Super Mario 64. That's enough in common for me!

Sonic series just don´t follow a row and most of the used material has been lost, now listen up:

Sonic the Hedgehog included antropomorfic animals and robots, and that kept that way until they decided to add more reality and so normal people was added in Sonic Adventure, for Sonic Adventure 2 it was the normal game characters on an almost real word, Robotnik was starting to change the way he looks, and Sonic´s shoes got more realistic. Then Heroes came up and broke all that, three years later, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog games tried to quickly make Sonic look more real but they rushed too much on that making him look sorta unconfortable, in 2007 with the launching of Secret rings it became balanced again betwen Sonic and humans, but in 2008 disgrace came and all this was thrown to trash, Sonic got, excuse this expression but people got fucking Do not evade the curse filter please CARTOONY and they made DA FAT GAS BAG look like a realistic character.

And from 2008 and on series made no sence.

They tried to make it too realistic, and tried to fit him in with the real world to much. I liked the strange tropical-wild-robot-animal-checkerboard-themed world that they created in the first few games. Now they try to fit him into cities and stuff and bleh....

Lets face it, the steps forward are not doing the blue blur any favors, so a new genisis style sonic game would be perfect.

Arf said:
Super mario bros 3 introduced a lot of different powerups and gameplay elements.
Same as with SMW. SMW2 was a completely different game.
Super mario 64 was the first in 3D so you can't say it copied of any other mario game. Then mario sunshine, which didn't change much, only FLUDD, which from what I see could have been done way better. You can say mario sunshine was a lame and lazy attempt to change the formula.
Galaxy, although it has some mario 64 moves, it's a completely different game, it's not single big levels but annoyingly small planetoids and crap.
But it still retains some core stuff from Mario 64, so you CAN say mario galaxy is a spiced up mario 64.

I'm not going to argue with that, but why does it seem like the norm for Nintendo is to rescue a princess? Other people need help, too. Have you ever seen Mario save someone like DK? He's an animal, he could be used in their plots. Or Yoshi, who at times seems strong and able, but other times as dumb as a stump (I'm specifically referring to Yoshi's Story)

super said:
Lets face it, the steps forward are not doing the blue blur any favors, so a new genisis style sonic game would be perfect.
I don't trust Sonic Team or Dimps to make this kind of game again

SuperSonicZX said:
super said:
I don't trust Sonic Team or Dimps to make this kind of game again
Ahhh, I see where you are coming from now. Well who says they have to make it? The project could go to another of Sega's other companies, Dont forget that Sega do make good games, its Sonic team who mess them up slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back