Games that lots of people don't like, but you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also gonna add SMB2 US to mine. I feel like it was worth the transition. Also, you should play Super Mario Advance, as it is basically the BEST remake of the original game around, even if there's Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES.

SMA's camera is obnoxious garbage, I would just stick with SMAS.

I'm also gonna add SMB2 US to mine. I feel like it was worth the transition. Also, you should play Super Mario Advance, as it is basically the BEST remake of the original game around, even if there's Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES.

I really disagree about Super Mario Advance being the best version of the game, but the Super Mario All-Stars version is aces. I think the game might be my favorite of the NES series, actually. It has more variety than SMB1, a better difficulty curve than SMB2JP/Lost Levels, and the levels aren't as short and (occasionally) disappointing as in SMB3. That said, SMB3 is most likely the best objectively; I just have more fun with 2USA.

Please don't murder me for saying this, but I like Knuckles' new design.

I actually warmed up to Knuckle's design once I saw it animated in the cartoon series. He's just so... adorable now. It really fits his new/modified personality well

I like SMB2 because the BPSG thing it's got going on is fun to play with. No other Mario game besides 3D World follows suit unfortunately. There isn't really such thing as a bad Mario classic, only thing that comes close is maybe SMB2J.

There's a sort of allure to Sonic R that I've always been attracted to; even though the gameplay flaws are pretty blatant, it had some nice ideas and a charming atmosphere. I think some sort of Sonic Unleashed racing game could work as a spiritual successor.

I'd mention Kirby's Air Ride, but that appears to have a cult following already, so I'll just leave it there.

Sonic Drift 2 is actually pretty fun for a casual diversion. Not something I would pay for though.

Um, I think that's it. Mostly I just hate other games that are popular. Like Sonic Adventure 2. Or Pokemon. Or Spelunky.

Super Mario Bros. 2 was one of the first mario games I ever played, along with Sunshine [A nice successor to 64] and the Lost Levels [or at least a Flash port]. I really enjoyed it, it was very well balenced and had plenty of secrets.

I also really enjoyed Sonic and the Secret Rings. It was a difficult spinoff with decent controls and had platformer roots. The same would go for the Black Knight, but the controls were delayed, and the story wasn't as interesting. At least you could use a Gamecube controller.

I guess to add another to my repertoire of experienced and not-so-enjoyed games, I'll add Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

People bag on this, and I have no clue why. Is it the shadow Pokemon, the purification, the story, the travel system? I don't get it. It is everything I knew about Pokemon and even better. It actually adds a lot of real story elements, and doesn't simply retread old steps.

All the portable games, it's like "Young trainer, go be great, oh here's team magician evilness here to take some sacred thing and rebirth legends, oh you stopped them, oh now you're great" while XD adds a new purpose and has you tracing the world to achieve the goal of... Well, on second thought, maybe it DOES retread old steps, but it gives a new take on the thing, and that's the principle.

On top of that, it's a truly 3D Pokemon adventure! Years before the DS or 3DS provide such things. Zero sprites, all animated character models.

I never went further than the boss, I believe he mentioned a tournament which at least means the story takes the driver seat while the drawn-out and obvious trope of Be Gr8 sits trapped in the trunk for the actual game, then the rest is up to you. It's a more understandable and more cohesive game in my opinion.

I guess to add another to my repertoire of experienced and not-so-enjoyed games, I'll add Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

People bag on this, and I have no clue why. Is it the shadow Pokemon, the purification, the story, the travel system? I don't get it. It is everything I knew about Pokemon and even better. It actually adds a lot of real story elements, and doesn't simply retread old steps.

I for one appreciate Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness for being the first 3D Pokemon games but I found it to be too repetitive doing battle after battle back to back in some locations. Plus, that's what all the game is in my opinion, just battles. I mean you have locations to explore but that's really it plus being limited to a certain amount of Pokemon is kinda a turn off to others, not including myself.

Godzilla on Game Boy.

Ah, the puzzle game where you punch boulders? I love that game! Picked it up from someone in middle school a long time ago, but I've never ran into someone else who has played it.

If you can run roms and emulators, though, I suggest playing the Japanese release. There are several differences, with the biggest improvement being Godzilla's walk speed. The JP version plays so much faster than the gimped English release.

Ah, the puzzle game where you punch boulders? I love that game! Picked it up from someone in middle school a long time ago, but I've never ran into someone else who has played it.
If Godzilla's namesake wasn't there, I'd enjoy it more - Since when has Godzilla punched rocks with boxing gloves on? Still, it's miles ahead of Godzilla 2 on the NES, and was a fun game.

Anyways, here's a game that I can't seem to find much information on [or at least a awhile back], is a movie tie-in, and somewhat enjoyed a while ago: Reign Of Fire on GameCube. It's a car combat game, where you play as an un-named Soldier who must prevent the suddenly discovered dragons from destroying the human race - or be a dragon yourself. It was somewhat glitchy and had awkward controls [I had the most problems playing as the dragons] but I somehow enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Speaking of Godzilla games that everyone hates, I really like Godzilla on NES. It was mindless, but I found it fun. Although, it did start to get tedious the farther in you went.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl,

I've realized that there's many that dislike Brawl, but there's so much more that love it that I feel it sorta cancels out all the supposed "dislike" and effectively becomes praised as a well-received game. Still not stopping a probably moot point of "a game that lots of people don't like," but whatever. My opinion.

Anyway, if there's anything I like that others dislike; Sonic Heroes, Sonic Adventure, and other movie games like WALL-E (PS2), Madagascar (PS2), and Ice Age 3 (PS2). Apparently the WALL-E and Madagascar PS2 games are more well received than I thought they would be, but they're still liable to be looked at as just "movie games," y'know, a reputation for generally being ≤ mediocre.

Mega Man X6, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Zelda 2
Those games I also really enjoy [especially Zelda 2], but what about MegaMan 5-7? Those were really well made, but no-one seems to like them. Oh, I also like Sonic Boom. Boom has potential, they can still fix Rise of Lyric, or make a far better sequel. And for some reason no-one talks about Shattered Crystal - I wonder why, it didn't seem so bad...

Surprised no one has mentioned yet: Knuckles' Chaotix for da 32x! This game is hit-or-miss for many people; however I generally like it.

Yes, although it is not exactly a cannon Sonic game (heck, it does not even feature Sonic as a playable character), the game does feature some interesting changes and unique gimmicks to the usual Sonic Game formula, including 5-Act Zones, a Daytime system, the combi "buddy system", the Chaotix team as players each with special abilities, very colorful graphics, new TV powerups, full-3D Bonus/Special Stages, a rocking soundtrack, no-lives, and the adventure-based gameplay style with random stage selection and the Newtrogic High Zone home world. The 5-zone system and level layouts aren't meant to be rushed through like in most Sonic games, and allow players to enjoy the atmosphere of the zones and explore adventure-style, and the co-op system makes the game more playable for 2P, instead of Tails lagging behind and getting beat up like in Sonic 2 & 3nk. The game also has its Tutorial Zone in order to teach new players how to use the combi system.

The only thing I don't like are the layouts of the zones: many are quite empty and feel somewhat rushed. The dev team had good ideas, but it was not entirely executed very well. Despite this, the levels include many interesting gimmicks, such as the whole "turn on the clock" thing in Amazing Arena and mini-boss, the floating ship chunks in Marina Madness, the door, switch, and elevator gimmicks in Botanic Base, Speed Slider with its fast slopes, and Techno Tower with its conveyor belts and vertical-based levels instead of Sonic's usual "press right to win" type of levels.

Somewhat off-topic, also the fact that the game has almost as many prototypes floating around on the interwebs as Sonic 2 (and even having a separate tech-demo, that Sonic Crackers game) makes it worth looking into rom hacking-wise for a programmer/game dev like myself. Although SonED2/Romulan is the only utiltiy available ATM to edit level layouts, no one to my knowledge has yet made even an attempt at a full rom hack (SH-2 asm edits aside), and I wish someone would give the game more luv :(. While playing around with SonED2 and documenting object definitions, IIRC, in either the Introduction Zone or Training, one of the acts has a path swapper object which could be used to make better levels with multiple paths and loops. (Some of the protos have loops).

Although for some, its deviation from the standard Sonic formula makes it too radically different, I like the changes from the norm.

Knuckles Chaotix! I Love that game! It was unique enough to be its own game, but still close to home for me. I also didn't know about most of the prototypes until now, aside from Crackers. And by the way, if you don't move/touch anything for roughly 50 seconds, Metal Sonic will appear and attack you, sort-of like Sonic CD. It was, and still is, a classic.

I've realized that there's many that dislike Brawl, but there's so much more that love it that I feel it sorta cancels out all the supposed "dislike" and effectively becomes praised as a well-received game. Still not stopping a probably moot point of "a game that lots of people don't like," but whatever. My opinion.

SSBB isn't horrible, it's just that every other SSB is better.

If they didn't have tripping, the characters and mechanics were balanced, and Subspace Emissary wasn't a waste of everyone's time, I would have liked it.

If nothing else, Chaotix had awesome graphics. For the game's environment (a gigantic futuristic theme park), it had the exact right tone. I also really appreciated the time-of-day graphical gimmick, and it's something I wouldn't mind coming back. The only criticism I really have is that a lot of the backgrounds look like they were sloppily airbrushed in.

The biggest issues with the game is that the levels are boring and that the partner system is a mess. The first could've been conceivably remedied by reducing the number of acts in each zone from 5 to 3 and trying to make the resulting 15 levels as distinct as possible. The partner system is harder to fix with the technology of the time (the fast pace of Sonic games make it almost impossible to keep two players on screen without zooming out too much, which is why you got that momentum-sappbut magic rubber band), and was probably too ambitious. That said, I'm sure a teamwork-centric Sonic game could work today when two players have their own screens and an online connection. Sonic 4 Episode 2 scratched the surface of this in regards to maneuvers, but I'd still really like to see level design that encourages cooperation. I think there are a lot of fun gimmicks that could be centered around that idea.

Have some miscellaneous guilty pleasure games

Blade Kitten: An Australian game that really really wishes it was Japanese, so very weeaboo. But I really enjoyed it none the less, the platforming is clumsy, the combat is of the mash buttons to win variety, but I love a platformer that gives me free reign to explore some surprisingly large levels for secrets and collectibles, and Blade Kitten provides that in spades.

Champions Online: An old and honestly not very good super hero MMO. But I've had a tremendous amount of fun making all kinds of goofy characters in it. I think this is a game with a lot of good ideas, such as free form classes which are made out of any abilities the player wants to take and character specific villains (i.e. you get to create your own arch-nemesis, who then appears as a recurring boss).

For example, my original character was 'Battle Butler', a super strong english gentleman, and his arch-nemesis was 'The French Revolution', a frog in a giant robot coloured after the french flag.

Warhammer 40,000 Fire Warrior: The 40k setting in general is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I do genuinely think the Tau, one of the alien races in the setting are really interesting and entertaining. And I loved the concept of an fps where you're playing one of the xenos races and the humans are unquestionably the bad guys.

But ultimately the cool idea is just window dressing for an unimaginative fps that may as well be called "Missed Opportunities: We make you play as the race with piloted robot suits and never let you use one"

Both of the first two Sonic Riders games. The beginner boards are a joke, and make everybody think the game's an uncontrollable mess. (Even more so in Zero Gravity. You're in for a bad time until you buy the better boards with rings.) The PS2 port is also a polished turd at best, so I specifically went out of my way to get the Gamecube version. Lord knows I'll get the Wii version of Zero Gravity later too.

Despite me not agreeing with the racing sim approach to improving controls, of all things, I've played both almost as much as I have Mario Kart. They're very fast and satisfying to succeed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back