New Master Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I've hit a kink. My ports are open, I have an srb2ms_status.php page on my website that's supposed to list servers from the master server's IP, but even when the master server's running, the master server page states that the connection is refused. What's wrong with it?

For reference, here's the master server page on my website. I've forwarded TCP and UDP ports 28900 to my master server's IP.

From what I'm reading, the SigSev Cafe' will have its own Master Server?

Chrome the hedgehog said:
From what I'm reading, the SigSev Cafe' will have its own Master Server?

Seems like it... but I still use the regular MS for net gaming.

Sorry to sound impatient, but I could really use some help with what I mentioned in my last post.

Turns out it's just the master server php page that doesn't work. Whatever, I'll get to that later.

In other news, I finally got the master server up! Click here if you're interested.

I can connect to your MS using the master server PHP page (index.php) in SRB21094/trunk/tools/PHP/ without any problems, so either you screwed up or HostGator is blocking port 28900 outbound. I'm liable to believe the latter, HG isn't all that great to be honest. Don't get me started on their overpriced servers, either...

If you have $9 a month to spare, I can get you a VPS with 10gb disk and 150gb monthly bandwidth usage, so you can not only put the page on there but you can have the MS on a cron job due to it being Linux so you won't have to restart it yourself. Oh, and yeah, Blueserv too.

Cue said:
I can connect to your MS using the master server PHP page (index.php) in SRB21094/trunk/tools/PHP/ without any problems, so either you screwed up or HostGator is blocking port 28900 outbound. I'm liable to believe the latter, HG isn't all that great to be honest. Don't get me started on their overpriced servers, either...

Yeah, I don't think I did anything wrong, so it must be HG blocking the port. Figures.

If you have $9 a month to spare, I can get you a VPS with 10gb disk and 150gb monthly bandwidth usage, so you can not only put the page on there but you can have the MS on a cron job due to it being Linux so you won't have to restart it yourself. Oh, and yeah, Blueserv too.

Doesn't sound bad to me. HostGator has similar hosting plans, but their ToS states that they don't allow MUDs/RPGs on anything but dedicated servers, which you have to be rich to buy, so they aren't an option.

So, $9 a month is $108 dollars a year.... that's not too bad. Except, I already have a site to pay for, so the total I'd be paying for web expenses would probably be $300 a year. D'oh. I'll have to start looking into another webhost, though it'll be hard to find one with as good privileges as the one I have right now (subdomains and ftp users are the reason I bought it)....

I'd love to buy one of your VPS's, though it'll take some thought. I really appreciate the help, though.

Are you kidding me? It's easy to get dirt cheap cPanel hosting these days. I'm co-owner at a place that does the stuff, I'd give you a freebie if the server wasn't going up and down like a yo-yo at the moment. (Ah the perks of having access to a 60gb/700gb disk/bandwidth, respectively, reseller.)

What is your current plan on HG?

Blah... I'm wrong, it wouldn't be even close to $300.... My hosting plan is Hatchling, which is pretty cheap. It seems like HG keeps changing things around, but I probably just fail at paying attention. :\

So, seeing as I buy more time on my website two years at a time, that's six dollars a month ($72 a year), and with an added $108...

About 180 a year. Good deal? Better than 300. :p

Hostgator is very cheap with its hosting plans, but there's a reason behind that, it oversells.

In other words, they make it sound big when they know that you'll never use all of it, because if all their customers used all of it, they'd be unable to sustain it.

Overselling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More detailed explanation can be found over at The Admin Zone, specifically PalePhoenix's post.

Could you tell me how to switch over to your master server Blue Warrior? I don't know how. I would ask at SigSev Cafe' but my account never activates.

Chrome the hedgehog said:
Could you tell me how to switch over to your master server Blue Warrior? I don't know how. I would ask at SigSev Cafe' but my account never activates.
66.189.167.30 : 28900
Enter it in your masterserver thing in the options menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back