ReactOS

Do you think ReactOS is a good idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tertu

cheap spirit
Okay. Some people have probably seen mentions to ReactOS in a couple posts of mine. For those of you who don't know what that is, go here (link is word) For those of you who do, or just found out, do you think it's a good idea or not? Poll of course, but comments are appreciated.

It would be really cool to have a free edition of Windows with a thinner, cleaner setup that still runs all your hardware and programs. Unfortunately, from looking at the Compatibility section, I can see that they're still having problems getting all programs to work. Until then, I'll have to stick with Windows.

Cool, I can vote on my own poll.

Anyway, it seems to be coming out so far in the future I will have SRB2 and Pokemon Online to play it on. Perfect timing, methinks.

I can't see ReactOS being used widely as a viable alternative to Windows. If you're going to go with an open-source operating system, you may as well just go all the way and install Linux, because there are going to be key incompatabilities that ruin the experience regardless of whether or not the code is simulating Windows behavior.

I'd say it's a good idea, but sometimes the good ideas don't get too far. I really don't see ReactOS replacing anything in the future.

Tried that latest LiveCD on two computers last night. One went to a blank black screen right away and the other got the boot screen going and then went to that blank screen again. Looks like the need some more help to get things going faster.

akirahedgehog said:
Tried that latest LiveCD on two computers last night. One went to a blank black screen right away and the other got the boot screen going and then went to that blank screen again. Looks like the need some more help to get things going faster.

I mentioned this on IRC last night and I will say it here:

THIS BUILD IS STILL IN ALPHA STATE

So be warned when you try it out. Alpha means unstable and not meant for regular customers. Just like the SRB2 builds that Alam makes (his fixes XD), they can crash and burn at any time.

Sonict

Tets said:
I can't see ReactOS being used widely as a viable alternative to Windows. If you're going to go with an open-source operating system, you may as well just go all the way and install Linux, because there are going to be key incompatabilities that ruin the experience regardless of whether or not the code is simulating Windows behavior.

Even if SOME things don't work, that's not bad. Because on Linux without WINE, nothing Windows works. :wink: Not that that's bad... But it's bad for people who have trouble using Windows. The last thing they need is Linux.

I think it actually looks pretty cool, I would use it on an old PC just to get it working, but not to use as I do OSX or Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back