TaMo Reloaded [TackleMobileV05.wad ; etc.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morph

Update:
Here is the new file that is based on the slightly modified srb2Morphed.exe file:

<TackleMobileV05>
< - altern Mirror - >
(RUN THE *.BAT FILE)
-----------------------------------------------------

Since I was working on this boss many people have asked me if they could use it in their mods or if they were allowed to edit and use it.
I want to be fair so I have to announce that I won't work on this project for some time (I actually think it is quite finished). But I won't forget those who were interested so I'll release a cleaned up version that's ready to be used. This version is (from the technical view) NOT different from version 3 which can be found in the editing section BUT it is structured, labeled and has no testmap.

I'll reveal how the whole thing works but first let me give you the download-link...

Link is outdated but you can still find the old files on my web ftp: http://mitglied.lycos.de/machjetztendlich/some stuff/

THE REVELATION:

To sum up the very basic aspects I can classify this boss as a Crawla with TurretFire... YES, no joke here: a Crawla with TurretFire.

I used a Crawla as the basic model because the standart eggmobile has too many hardcoded features which won't let him walk on the ground. I don't say it is impossible but all my tries ended up the same way. As long as Eggman stood still he was actually standing on the ground. Anyhow, after he had started to move he floated again. So that's the reason why I chose the Crawla.
This choice leads on to another problem. A normal Crawla dies by one hit. This even occurs if you modify its lifepoints. The key to solve the problem is the painstate. First of all you have to give him a painstate (normal Crawla doesn't have one) but that's not all because this way the enemy would be damaged each tic the contact with the player lasts. So unless you don't want to give your enemy hundreds of thousands of livepoints there has to be done more.
Here comes A_SetObjectFlags into play. With this handy command you can turn off the flag SHOOTABLE [It needs some time to figure out how exactly to do it but srb2wiki is your friend. ;) ] which makes your enemy immune to attacks. This effect has to be triggered firstly in your pain sequence (yes "sequence", we need more than one state) then it has to last a few tics and then you have to use A_SetObjectFlags one more time to turn on SHOOTABLE again. Now damage is dealt only once per attack.

Ok there we have a Crawla with more than one livepoint. YAY! That's the first step. Now about the attack or the "tackling". It consists of three aspects: The moving, the damaging and "flagging".
I made him jump at you with the simple command A_BunnyHop, I could have used A_SkullAttack but this action screws the A_SetObjectFlags so I wouldn't recommend that.
The next problem is the fact that normal melee attacks don't harm you if you are spinning, only missiles and hazards can do this. So here comes A_TurretFire into play. The most overused command in the history of customized enemies finally is not used for a usual turret! HOORAY! O.o
During his jumps Eggman has just to fire rapidly missiles at the player which
A) have a minimum ammount of speed (nearly no movement at all),
B) fade away after a few tics
and C) are bigger than the mobile itself.
This way there are always damaging objects around him that can stop you from spinning.
The last step is to put A_SetObjectFlags at the beginning and the ending of your attack sequence to ensure that the boss can not be hit during his attacks. This is necessary because the flagvalue can for some reason not be changed as long as the object is not touching the ground. So if you don't want to screw up the pain sequence you should do what was told.

And that's it.

comments for those who want to look inside the wad in detail:

FRAMES
freestates used:
1900 - 2199

THINGS
freestates used:
370 -> TACKLEORB (the melee missile)
371 -> TACKLEMOBILE (MAPTHINGNUM 191)

SPRITES
freestates used:
f001 -> MOBILE
f003 -> WARP

P.S.:
If you want to use this wad within your project please give credit for me and my work.
THX, Morph!

MF_Boss is a complex thinker that activates lots of thinks you don't want to happen here. Without it the enemies may be simpler but easier to handle. In this case it even screws everything... yeah. ^^

Kaysakado said:
By the way, what are those effects?
Could you specify what you want to know?

MF_Boss atributes:

1) Moves in eggman pattern.
2) Enables A_Skullatack.
3) Get lots more points from death.
4) The player bounces back after being hit.
5) Uses raisestate properly.
6) Has easy invincible time states, only requiring one.
7) Modifies some other subtle things.
8) Is hardcoded specially for eggman only, instead of for all bosses.

Edit: The first post uses lots of colors, however it looks wierd in the non-default styles. If you bold the words, it'll look better.

Update:

To make the waiting period until the new srb2 version comes out a little bit more comfortable I reworked my TackleMobile. It is now supported by an exe.mod and behaves much more like a usual boss. You can find it on the testmap MAP01.

New implemented elements:
- Knockback
- Panic Mode

Note: The wadfile ONLY works in combination with the exe.mod. So I'd advise to use the *.bat file which can be found inside the zip archive.

Download link in the first post! ;)

P.S.: Don't try this in multiplayer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back