Official Level Design Contest Voting: March-April 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAPA1 - Sand Temple Zone by Roboegg99 - 0/10
Way to big and empty.

MAPA2 - Pirate Ship Zone by Torgo - 5/10
Arg matey. This here map be pirate themed though the mast be missing its Jolly Roger Flag.

MAPA3 - Industrial Sync Zone by Some guy - 9/10
Really good, not too big or too small. I would even say good enough to be in the next version of SRB2.

MAPA4 - Hell Angel Zone Act 2 by Sonict - 6/10
Have I seen act1 some where? Act 2 was preaty good and I can't think of much to say.

MAPA5 - Fort Eltsac Zone by Shadow Hog - 7/10
I really liked the fort on this one but I didnot like the fire shield in the water. made that shield pointless.

Capture the Flag

MAPA6 - Amber Fortress Zone by CZ64 - 7/10
Interesting way of seaprating the 2 team sides. but what was with the volcaino sounds?

MAPA7 - Concrete Stronghold Zone by Some guy - 4/10
big, BIG, BIG, when there are 2 people with the flag the game just take too long.

MAPA8 - Subterranean Caves Zone by Oogaland - 4/10
Cramped and cave like. ok nothing wrong with caves but widen things up. ok?

Circuit

MAPA9 - Generic Greens Zone by SRB2-Playah - 5/10
Tails had the advantage here near the start and sonic had afew jumps to take. can't think of much now so see rateing

MAPAA - Noxious Wood Zone by SRB2-Playah - 8/10
First, what is SRB2PCMTSBAFSPZS? Second, I thought this stage was really good regardless of weather or not it would be better suited for co-op. If there were robots placed in the right places it could of been a full race circuit (something that is frowned upon here). I did spot one read wall in the woods though.

MAPAB - Sandopolis Zone by JJames19119 - 6/10 (where I was when I though I caught my post with stop)
Another S3&k entry? Well this stage turned out better than Angel Island did and it has working starposts too.

MAPAC - Elemental Ring Zone by JJames19119 7/10
What I really liked about this stage was the fact that Tails users actually had a chance to beat Sonic on this stage.

MAPAD - Flying Battery Zone by JJames19119 - 4/10
It wad preaty decent but like you said, the air part came back to bite you.

MAPAE - Pipedream Zone by .hack - 2/10
Ugh. This level was to flat. I was able to do this stage with one hand.

MAPAF - Magma Mines Zone by SRB2-Playah - 8/10
Very nice visuals. I can tell you workd hard on this one.

MAPAG - Mario Race Zone by Sonict - 6/10
Something tells me you were doing "The Mario". Sonic suffers here as Tails gets a flying atvantage.

MAPAH - The Awesumest Race Zone by Sonict - 0/10
Don't need to play online. This stage was worse than Batle Woods act 1 dispite the fact that battle woods had robots. I just found the shortcut, but that doesn't change my vote.

MAPAI - Desert Palace Zone by JMS - 4/10
Don't know what to say about this desert. I figure the redwall sky is because of the map number you used to test and you didn't think to set the sky (or don't know how).

MAPAJ - Battle Woods Zone Act 2 by Glaber - can't vote/10
This level was made to keep my word of making act 2 if act one wasn't played through when I was on. As you saw I followed through with this. This time act 3 is being made with no prompt and this time instead of a circuit it will be a co-op level.

I wonder how mystic chooses the order of levels for each game type?

Edit reason: incompleate post

Edit again: post finished.

glaber said:
MAPAC - Elemental Ring Zone by JJames19119 OH/NOEZ
Yeah this was a very large map, very large. I tried to cram as much as I could into small areas representing the current shields, White first, then Blue, then Red, then Yellow and finally Black. I feared using sky changers and music changers based on the experience Sonict had with consistancy failures. After a while my inspiration just sorta got sucked dry by this mammoth and it didn't quite turn out as good as I wanted it to. Meh.

MAPAD - Flying Battery Zone by JJames19119 - OPPZ/MYBAD
Yeah, I was planning on fixing the "in the air" part but I got lazy. Man did that bite me back eh?
You shall rot slowly, copypaster.

^ wat he sed lol

Really, if you're gonna do that, at least remove the comments in the copypaste, especially before posting. :\

BlueZero4 said:
glaber said:
Outdated version of mistake post
You shall rot slowly, copypaster.

JJames19119 said:
^ wat he sed lol

Really, if you're gonna do that, at least remove the comments in the copypaste, especially before posting. :\

I thought I caught that in time,. I guess not (goes to fix)

Edit: Post fixed. the only evidance now is in the quotes.

My contest votes

My Single Player votes:

Molten Core Zone by GCFreak = 6/10

A good zone, but it had a few flaws. At the start, if you didn't get through the door, you were screwed. There were a couple of missed spots for the lava and most of the lava pits didn't have a spring so you could get out. At the part where you go on a rising lava part for a while, I died and when I respawned, I couldn't get back into the room. This was located near the end of the level. Some parts of the level had some textures that didn't go too well together. Good job though.

Doomsday Zone by Kaysakado = 1/10

Ok, this level needs a lot of work. There are so many things wrong with this level that it makes my 2d level that I made about a year ago look better than this. First thing, Music was uneeded for the 10 seconds it takes to finish it. Second thing, platforms too small and with the camera so close to the player, You can't control well enough to take action if you are about to die. That is all I have to say about this level.

My match level votes:

Sand Temple Zone by Roboegg99 = 1/10

Good news, it works. The bad news is everything else. Huge level, little rings, crappy inside area, missing textures. This map needs help badly.

Pirate Ship Zone by Torgo = 7/10

This map is good, but it is a little on the small side and it needed more decorations. It played well though. There should be another way to get out of the ships inside other than the stairs.

Industrial Sync Zone by Some guy = 8/10

A nice match zone. It has rising and falling acid, the level isn't too big, and it has the right amount of rings and weapons to make it balanced. Good work.

Hell Angel Zone Act 2 by Sonict = N/A

I made this match zone to improve on what the original Hell Angel failed at. I made a mini castle with doors that open and close. (I think the doors go a little on the fast side) I also made the platforms much bigger and a couple of alternate paths to get to the second level of the zone. I hope this match level does well, but anything can happen.

Fort Eltsac Zone by Shadow Hog = 7/10

Nice level. It has a proper amount of rings, many pathways, a castle with a few floors, a nice lake, etc... All of that stuff made this level fun for a match netgame and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The only problem was that it is a little on the big side. Keep up the good work.

My Circuit level votes:

Generic Greens Zone by SRB2-Playah = 6/10

Nice try, but the jumping part at the water wreaked it a lot. The other parts of the map were alright. It could have been made better though.

Noxious Wood Zone by SRB2-Playah = 6/10

Good map, but not meant for circuit. It has like your first map, an annoying jumping part in it. Great for single player, but not for multiplayer.

Sandopolis Zone by JJames19119 = 7/10

This was a pretty good map. It had flow, nice areas, and some obstacles to avoid. It wasn't too cramped and it played well.

Elemental Ring Zone by JJames19119 = 4/10

Sorry, this map fails hard. Too many jumps and _way_ too long. Fix those up and this map would recieve better marks from me.

Flying Battery Zone by JJames19119 = 5/10

This map was ok, but I died a lot at the jumps near the end. Also, I noticed some red wall of doom.

Pipedream Zone by .hack = 5/10

Not bad, but there were some flaws. At the start, it is a little cramped and then later, it gets a little too big. Also the springs were hard to hit because of how few there were. Nice try though.

Magma Mines Zone by SRB2-Playah = 6/10

Another one of those maps that would work out in single player. It is a good level but at the start, it was easy to get lost. Also, the fire pits were annoying with the quicksand in it instead of not having any quicksand lava at all. The other parts of the level were ok.

Mario Race Zone by Sonict = N/A

Well, this was my first mario race wad that I have ever made. I made it emulate mario in a way, but according to Mystic and others, it broke the flow too much with the jumping. If I remove some of the jumps and made it ramps, I think this level would be much better.

The Awesumest Race Zone by Sonict = N/A

Yes, this map is a joke. I purposely did things that were wrong, but the ironic thing is that it _isn't_ the worst map in this section XD. I added a cool secret area that makes this awful level fly by quickly. Some of you were able to figure it out where it is. Mystic liked the secret alot though. 11/10 for keeping him amused XD

Desert Palace Zone by JMS = 1/10

This map needs a lot of work. First of all, it is too cramped. Second thing, poor indication of where to go. Third thing, the part where you jump down a ways to end the map had red walls alot. At least it works, but this map failed badly.

Battle Woods Zone Act 2 by Glaber = 0/10

First off, this was the worst map that I have ever played. Enemies on race is a big no no. It is a bad rip off of Mystic Realm Second Quest, but a lot worst! Look at the official race maps and then look at your map. That would show you that circuit is meant for time-only. If you want a full-race, do it on a map that is not a circuit one. The single player stages work best for that.

My CTF level votes:

Amber Fortress Zone by CZ64 = 6/10

Good level. It had alternate pathways, and it is big. That is the only problem with the map. It is a little on the big side of things and it needs to not be so flat. Otherwise, it is a good level for doing CTF.

Concrete Stronghold Zone by Some guy = 7/10

Ok, this is a good CTF map, but there were a few problems that I noticed. I liked the level of detail, but the level in general is a little on the big side and it had too many paths leading to the base which makes it hard to kill the flag runner. This level was fun though and that is what counts.

Subterranean Caves Zone by Oogaland = 6/10

Nice try on trying to make a good CTF map, but it does have its problems. First of all, the flag area is too cramped making it hard for people to move. The other thing is because of that, many people were hitting each other and the flag just didn't want to move because of how cramped it is by the flags. The water running part was fun, but the cramped passageways leading to the flags killed the potential of this map.

Well, that is it from me.

Sonict

Simsmagic is here to vote. This time, Circuit levels will be judged.

Generic Greens zone 6/10
The Level layout was pretty good. I generally had fun with this level. But I'm not a fan of longer levels in race, or jumping puzzles. I got bored somewhere in the third lap, so I used EXITLEVEL. Could be made better, but generally good.

Noxious Wood Zone 5/10
Once again, not a fan of longer levels, or jumping puzzles. But the scenery is nice, and the factory area was interesting. Didn't like the death-area somewhere in there. Once again, used EXITLEVEL to get out of there.

Sandopolis Zone 6/10
This is the first level I actually completed. It wasn't too long, no jumping puzzles. But the design was too simple now.

Elemental Ring Zone 7/10
This level is long, but for once, in a good way. It's scenery was good enough to keep me going. 2 complaints. One was that in the factory part, there was a jumping puzzle, which I already told you I hate, and there are way too many rings. But it could also be avoided if you knew what to do. As good as the level design was, I still used EXITLEVEL.

Flying Battery Zone 4/10
Interesting at first, but I didn't like the fork in the road. The top way is much simpler, and you could use the springs to skip the entire jumping puzzle. Oh, should I mention I couldn't finish this level because I got a GAME OVER??? Fail.

Pipedream 4/10
A short level, but not in a good way. too many checkpoints for such a short level. No challenge whatsoever.

Magma Mine 6/10
A longer level, but in a good way. I enjoyed playing this, as I found the jumping puzzle to be, for once, fun. Tails and Knuckles own at this level, as well.

Mario Race 5/10
Interesting, but the level was long, there were no rings (or coins in this case), the jumping puzzle was weird (I learned my lesson from Flying Battery Zone and turned on 99 lives). Why were there Crawlas behind the glass? The only thing that saved this level from complete and utter failure
was the transitions between each world. Except the Bowser part was short...

The Awsumest Race 1/10
Wow. What a joke. This isn't serious in the least. I found the secret part interesting though, which is why I gave the level a 1.

Desert Palace 1/10
This level had FAIL on it as soon as it started. Red Wall Ceiling, and it only got worse as you entered the palace. You get a very narrow walkway over a death pit. It fails.

Battle Woods Zone 2 0/10
Didn't you learn your lesson from the first Battle Woods? I couldn't even finish this.

Well, there you have it. Soon, I might do Single Player and Match levels, but not right now. I bid you farewell.

Doomsday Zone - 2/10
Too short, firstly. Blind jumps are also not good. Marks for novelty, though.

Molten Core Zone - 7/10
Nicely laid out on the whole. The very beginning which (I think...) can leave the player with nowhere to go is probably not a good idea. I also think some parts were bordering on the unfair rather than merely challenging: having a starpost next to turrets, for example. I felt that some of the level mechanics were odd, most notably the intangible-from-below FOFs.

If I get an opportunity to play a netgame, I'll vote on the multiplayer maps, too.

simsmagic said:
Battle Woods Zone 2 0/10
Didn't you learn your lesson from the first Battle Woods? I couldn't even finish this.
That time I learned: Don't use linedef 15 in circuit. This time was the robots. (the detail about time only was missing last time.)

Mystic said:
Judging will end May 8th at midnight GMT (May 7th, 7:00 PM EST). The scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score is the winner.
Everyone try to finish your voting in time.

Match:
MAPA1 - Sand Temple Zone by Roboegg99 - 1/10
Uh, yeah. Level design 101. Large areas with nothing in them are dull, and there isn't anything to do here.

MAPA2 - Pirate Ship Zone by Torgo - 4/10
The ring spam here was pretty much all there was to the gameplay. Solidly put together, at least.

MAPA3 - Industrial Sync Zone by Some guy - 8/10
I quite enjoyed this one. It needs a little something, and I can't tell what, but it was quite fun.

MAPA4 - Hell Angel Zone Act 2 by Sonict - 5/10
Rail-Explosion in a gigantic open map where I can get a Whirlwind Shield? That's not overpowered...

MAPA5 - Fort Eltsac Zone by Shadow Hog - 8/10
I quite liked the flow here. Needed a bit more outside the castle, though.

Capture the Flag:
MAPA6 - Amber Fortress Zone by CZ64 - 4/10
Quite large and open, but to the point where you're just running in an open field after someone else in an open field. Pretty, but just not much to do.

MAPA7 - Concrete Stronghold Zone by Some guy - 8/10
It took me a while to figure out the layout, but once I got it down, I REALLY enjoyed this. I do think there's a slight problem with the ease of camping the flag area, though.

MAPA8 - Subterranean Caves Zone by Oogaland - 5/10
This place is WAY too cramped. The layout in general was quite nice, though. I liked how the alternate path wasn't shared between the two teams, except in the middle.

I eventually managed to play all the match levels, about half of the circuit levels and none of the CTF maps. Here are my thoughts on what I saw:

Sand Temple Zone - 1/10
Wide open and flat. This doesn't make for enjoyable matches.

Pirate Ship Zone - 4/10
Far too small for auto-bomb. Also, having only one of each type of weapon ring leads to poor balance.

Industrial Sync Zone - 8/10
Nice structure, as always. The auto rings were too close to one another, though.

Hell Angel Zone Act 2 - 6/10
The amount of jumping required is a bit too much for match: it distracts from the business of throwing rings at people. Certainly not bad, though.

Fort Eltsac Zone - 7/10
Oh, I only just realised what 'Eltsac' means. Anyway, the open areas work well, but I think the tunnels are overused a little.

Generic Greens Zone - 6/10
Very nicely laid out, but in some cases not in a way suitable for circuit: falling off the columns into the water is too much of a penalty, for instance.

Magma Mines Zone - 7/10
The dead-ends aren't always obvious, as has already been remarked, but otherwise, good stuff. Maybe could be a little shorter.

The Awesumest Race Zone - 1/10
Er, yeah. :)

Desert Palace Zone - 4/10
Too cramped, really. Also too long. Promising signs, though.

Battle Woods Zone Act 2 - 1/10
Take away the badniks and it's actually not that bad... but Jetties in circuit don't work, I'm afraid.

Voting is over, now (and has been for like 56 minutes, but still). I just wanna say... I seem to be tied with Some Guy. Quite literally. Both point counts add up to 85, and both have 11 votes, so both average out to 7.727. Neither one voted on all Match maps, best I can tell (at least, I know for sure that I didn't, because I quite literally couldn't; if Some Guy did, he wins by default). Intriguing turn-out; I actually hadn't expected my map to do half as well as it did. :P

Shadow Hog said:
Voting is over, now (and has been for like 56 minutes, but still).

This is off topic but I hate how phpBB cannot understand Daylight Savings time. I just realized it didn't when your timestamp said 3:56PM PST, not 4:56PM PST. :\

Results. Please let me know if I miscalculated anything (ie: counted votes twice, et cetera). N is votes I dropped (as per voting rules, where voting for all stages in a category you entered in drops the lowest vote on your maps), X is a ten, and 0-9 should be obvious.

Single Player:
Molten Core Zone by GCFreak - 85N6457767 - 6.111
Doomsday Zone by Kaysakado - 31101114212 - 1.545

Match:
MAPA1 - Sand Temple Zone by Roboegg99 - 31232340111 - 1.909
MAPA2 - Pirate Ship Zone by Torgo - 5N56555744 - 5.111
MAPA3 - Industrial Sync Zone by Some guy - 87877969888 - 7.727 (tie)
MAPA4 - Hell Angel Zone Act 2 by Sonict - 76777776N6 - 6.667
MAPA5 - Fort Eltsac by Shadow Hog - 99758997787 - 7.727 (tie)

Capture the Flag:
MAPA6 - Amber Fortress Zone by CZ64 - 998797X76N - 8.000
MAPA7 - Concrete Stronghold Zone by Some guy - 83988679478 - 7.000
MAPA8 - Subterranean Caves Zone by Oogaland - 47577758465 - 5.909

Circuit:
MAPA9 - Generic Greens Zone by SRB2-Playah - 8967767N666 - 6.800
MAPAA - Noxious Wood Zone by SRB2-Playah - 68758N7865 - 6.667
MAPAB - Sandopolis Zone by JJames19119 - 78766N8676 - 6.778
MAPAC - Elemental Ring Zone by JJames19119 - 4668N39747 - 6.00
MAPAD - Flying Battery Zone by JJames19119 - N776446454 - 5.222
MAPAE - Pipedream Zone by .hack - 36444336254 - 4.000
MAPAF - Magma Mines Zone by SRB2-Playah - 6754N478667 - 5.000
MAPAG - Mario Race Zone by Sonict - 7567N76965 - 6.444
MAPAH - The Awesumest Race Zone by Sonict - N12121146011 - 1.818
MAPAI - Desert Palace Zone by JMS - 135522274114 - 3.083
MAPAJ - Battle Woods Zone Act 2 by Glaber - 1243N037001 - 1.75

Congrats to the winners and all that. Now get off my lawn.

I can't believe the top score of the circuit section is only 6.8. There were some of the best looking circuit stages I've ever seen. I've enjoyed myself there more than in Fort Eltsac in any of the CTF or match stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back