-UPDATE- Mossy Ruins Zone 1 (Part of the upcoming Sonic Surge LP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New beta!

The next beta is up. No new acts yet, but Act 1 has been tweaked and modified.

Again, I'm really wanting critique on this. If you find a bug, visual error, or if something just bothers you, feel free to post about it.

A couple of things:

-Music still doesn't fit. I know you said this was placeholder, but it should be replaced by now.

-There's a spring that's supposed to take the player up to a hidden life, but it shoots them past it. All springs should take the player exactly where you (the mapper) want them to go. I shouldn't have to adjust myself in mid-air to get there.

-The temple texture is ugly, at least in large quantities. Just as a general rule, you should try to avoid putting that on entire walls. On smaller structures it's passable, but in one part of the map there's an entire room made of it.

-The moss gimmick is somewhat cool, but the only interesting thing done with it is the tiny stretch at the end where you can avoid touching it by crawla bouncing. I'd like to see some more of that.

Beyond that, I don't have much to say. The theme and the gameplay are well-connected, so I'll give you that. It's somewhat apparent that this is a beginning mapper's level, though, judging by the overall design (it's just kind of... lifeless), but that's something that mappers overcome gradually after loads and loads of practice. That being said, it never hurts to make level geometry more interesting by cutting paths out of the walls. It's a little thing, but it goes a long way ;)

I see that you've made the platforming areas different and you have made it easier to avoid the Snailer's attacks. I think you should substitute the liveliness for danger (but I think it's still lively) try putting more traps to give a "dangerous ruins" effect. And try putting the flames on something that is flammable,like wood for example, so that the level seems more realistic.
That's all I have to say for now...

-Music still doesn't fit. I know you said this was placeholder, but it should be replaced by now.

I know, I shouldn't have released this patch as quickly as I did.

-There's a spring that's supposed to take the player up to a hidden life, but it shoots them past it. All springs should take the player exactly where you (the mapper) want them to go. I shouldn't have to adjust myself in mid-air to get there.

Fixed.

-The temple texture is ugly, at least in large quantities. Just as a general rule, you should try to avoid putting that on entire walls. On smaller structures it's passable, but in one part of the map there's an entire room made of it.

Also fixed.

-The moss gimmick is somewhat cool, but the only interesting thing done with it is the tiny stretch at the end where you can avoid touching it by crawla bouncing. I'd like to see some more of that.

There's a very strong possibility that you're going to see some more of that.

Beyond that, I don't have much to say. The theme and the gameplay are well-connected, so I'll give you that. It's somewhat apparent that this is a beginning mapper's level, though, judging by the overall design (it's just kind of... lifeless), but that's something that mappers overcome gradually after loads and loads of practice. That being said, it never hurts to make level geometry more interesting by cutting paths out of the walls. It's a little thing, but it goes a long way ;)

I'm adding more multiple paths and secrets to this pack as time goes on.

Also, there are four planned out zones in the first post. Tell me what you all think about them, if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back