Srb2 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonikku used to draw out maps in MSPaint, listing the floor/ceiling heights, and where he wanted important items. I would then take these maps and build the level, usually in DCK 3.62.

Some notable anecdotes...

GFZ1 is actually the original GFZ1 and GFZ2 put together, and an extension added on (it originally ended at the spikes - see Demo 1).

THZ1 is quite a bit bigger (originally it ended at the long hallway halfway through the map, then we extended it, then I added on the factory bit at the end). Originally, the steam pipes were four multicolored fan platforms.

The original THZ2 was totally scrapped. If you come across it, you'll understand why. The railing texture in modern-day THZ2 was a few of the survivors.

DSZ2 is a combination of:
*) Very old DSZ1 by Sonikku
*) My own DSZ1 using a new motif that most of can be seen in the SAGE 2000 video. This set the tone for the level's future direction.
*) A new MSPaint map by Sonikku and mapped out by Mystic (the waterslides at the end of the level come from this).

CEZ1 contains some elements from one of the other DSZ maps that Sonikku made - the one room with the broken fountain and some castle ruins. This is the only level whose base layout was drawn out by Mystic, and is why we don't let him make any more single player maps (hur hur we love you, Mystic). Of course, I was the one that made it into a map, so there must be enough fault to go around...

RVZ1 is arguably quite intact from its original version. Some of the layout shows its age, but I think it works pretty well for the most part. Nev3r did a great job at making this map look more awesome.

ERZ1 contains some elements from the original old map (large windows on the sides, red and yellow caution stripes, crushing stuff).

The 'secret' road in ACZ1 is just part of the many experiments that Nev3r was doing with the map. At one time there was also some kind of train track sequence.

Aww man, now you made me interested. Especially in that scrapped THZ2

That scrapped THZ2 interested me as well. I checked the archives page, but THZ2 wasn't in 4.35 at all and it was basically the same as it is now in 1.01. Wasn't there some version between them?

Hahaha, that was awesome. I mean, it's garbage, but the fact that I know it's garbage makes it awesome.

It's quite remarkable how the first room in DSZ2 (here in DSZ1) and basically the entirety of Red Volcano are both so true to their current counterparts, save for the scale. Who was designing these stages? Why are they all so small?

It's cool to see how even though it's young, Egg Rock 1 already has that distinct look with glass windows displaying the landscape of the meteor, and the whole red/yellow crusher duality thing going on. Doom Ship 3 also bears a strong resemblance to the current Egg Rock 3, but I can't tell if it's a coincidence or not. I mean, it's just four square pillars in a diamond formation.

There's a cool lighting effect in Mine Maze 1, and in that room with the sinking FOFs in RVZ1 there used to be a nice slope to the lava, and now it's abrupt. Why are we losing features? :(

Wow, I never expected a treasure box of SRB2 history like this.

*Starts trying to figure out what levels work with what versions*

Well I tested SRB2Z2M1.wad in SRB2 v2.0.6 and it works! Of course there is missing textures and where the end sign should be will kill you. Oh there are no enemies or items. I recommend using tails. Going to try to play other levels later.Also Glaber, I hope you incorporate some of these levels into SRB2TP mod with of course textures. This is a nice peice of SRB2 history.

Now the announced release date of somewhere in 2001/2002 makes more sense. SRB2 could have been done by then, it would've just been terrible.

The older the demo you use, the better luck you will probably have. The Xmas editions probably have the best chance, or maybe Demo 1/2. I'm almost certain that Xmas 0.96 has the required textures.

It's quite remarkable how the first room in DSZ2 (here in DSZ1) and basically the entirety of Red Volcano are both so true to their current counterparts, save for the scale. Who was designing these stages? Why are they all so small?

Sonikku mapped out most of these stages. At the time we didn't have a 3rd person camera, and everything looks bigger in the 1st person view.

Doom Ship 3 also bears a strong resemblance to the current Egg Rock 3, but I can't tell if it's a coincidence or not. I mean, it's just four square pillars in a diamond formation.

Coincidence - I totally forgot about Doom Ship 3 when I was making ERZ3.

There's a cool lighting effect in Mine Maze 1, and in that room with the sinking FOFs in RVZ1 there used to be a nice slope to the lava, and now it's abrupt. Why are we losing features? :(

Mine Maze is an interesting level because I really started to improve it before it got scrapped. But since the player just went through cave-infested DSZ I felt like there needed to be a change, and our 'demo-exclusive' castle motif was just too good to pass up.

Alright I found a version that works, SRB2 Demo 4.35 works with all the wads. All you need is to have all the emeralds to play the last two levels of these wads. Oh does anyone have a complete save file for Demo 4.35 I could use? I just suck at emerald collecting.

Version 0.96 is missing textures too. So in order to get things to work I'm going to put together several resource packs for different versions.

Now the old versions combined my work, I had to grab the sprites of both Minus and Drilla Killa from 0.96 to get them to show up in demo 2

Results of using Demo 4.35
THZ2: The level is flooded
Deep Sea 1: Plays as normal
Deep Sea 2: Plays as normal
Mine Maze act 1: Drillas and Minuses are replaced with emerald hunt locations
MM2: Level ends abruptly at pink blocks, can't proceed without noclip
MM3: Playes Zero Ring Zones music, Plays as normal
RMZ1: is filled with Blue team flags and invisible boosters.

Results of Using Demo2 (Will be recording vids of these levels soon)
GFZ1: No Difference to D2 version
GFZ2: No Difference to D2 version
GFZ3: No Difference to D2 version
THZ1: No Difference to D2 version
THZ2: Needs THZWALL and THZWALL2, active badnik is Deeton and is missing sprites (uses Pain elemental's slot) other than that, plays as normal, all linedefs work as intended. Plays as Normal
THZ3: Plays as normal
DSZ1: Plays as Normal
DSZ2: Plays as Normal
DSZ3: Plays as normal
MMZ1: Needs the sprites of Minus and DrillaKilla from v.095, plays as normal
MMZ2: Pink wall turns out to be crusher with wood texture
MMZ3: Plays as normal
RMZ1: Plays as normal, invisible Tree boosters are here too, CTF Flags are not found, Needs dead grass sprite from Halloween Tech Demo
RMZ2: Plays as normal, invisible Tree boosters are here too, CTF Flags are not found, Needs dead grass sprite from Halloween Tech Demo Springs are missing
RMZ3: Plays as normal
RVZ1: incomplete, all things are missing and the exit sector is on lava.
RVZ2: plays as normal (didn't notice the ground moving first time around)
RVZ3: Boss Missing
DCZ1: Playable as normal
DCZ2: Sigsevs along the right path, incomplete
DCZ3: Boss missing
Doom ship1: Bearly started
Doom Ship Boss: plays as Normal
ERZ1: Unfinished, Plays like normal, Egghead is a Cacodeamon clone

Last edited:
Speaking of which, why is SRB2 Christmas v0.90 still missing? Shouldn't at least someone still have that somewhere?

XMas 0.90 is so buggy it's completely unplayable, so it's not surprisingly that it's not easy for us to find.

It's a good idea to not have uber-buggy versions available in the archives. This can keep 5-year-olds from turning completely irate when they feel dumb enough to run the WAD files in a recent version. This thread does point a simple concept. What IF you guys ended up having to go up to 2.9? I'd be in my 30s by then, but that's an interesting theory. As for the old archive levels, wasn't glaber's SRB2TP started and is being used to allow the old levels to be easily playable as well as completable, without the player knowing a thing about what happens if something screws up? I have doubts if someone actually DID find Xmas 0.90 and someone was able to fix EVERY MAP to where it was at least playable. Are you sure you guys don't have that version backed up somewhere? You couldn't have had this website running all along and not had to worry about those versions being deleted from the server.

I see no need of a Dark City Zone. It has no match with Egg Rock and Red Volcano. It just don't look well. You get out of a volcano, go to a city where there is some kind of conspiracy, and then you face an asteroid? Weird is just its nickname!

I see no need of a Dark City Zone. It has no match with Egg Rock and Red Volcano. It just don't look well. You get out of a volcano, go to a city where there is some kind of conspiracy, and then you face an asteroid? Weird is just its nickname!
No need for another single player zone, just because the story is slightly screwy? Seriously, I'd much rather have more content than a story that nobody cares about anyway.

As SpiritCrusher said, I would rather have 3 more levels in the game instead of a slightly less nonsencial story line.
Also, Sonic 2. The whole zone order is just really nuts in that game, aside from the last 3 zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back