• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Updoer (SP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanatarashed

最好的
Updoer is a series of levels that I made a couple months ago. I created six stages and intended to make more but after some failed attempts at a seventh stage I left the pack alone. I think I'll make more stages later but in the meantime I decided to release the six that I did finish.

Updoer is strictly singleplayer and can only be played as Sonic. The maps are short, lacking in visual design, entirely linear, and often cramped. I do know the ground rules of good level design but decided to ignore a few of them this time around, partially out of laziness and partially because of how I wanted the levels to turn out. The level design was inspired by the great ROM hack "VIP Mario & Wall Mix" for Super Mario World which I was enjoying at the time I started making Updoer.

The six stages, in order, are:

Here We Go: A brief intro stage which honestly was mostly to get me into the groove of mapping again. There's a 35 second time limit, some tight timed jumps and the track "We Gotta Get Outta Here" by Bear Bones (from the Ideas Man soundtrack) plays.

Tight Way 1-4: The Tight Way stages are based around Crawla hopping and monitor hopping. Each one has a different variation on the gimmick and if you play your cards right you can score a 1-up from ring monitors on each stage. The track "Witness Dub" by Roots Manuva (from the album Dub Come Save Me) plays.

The Magical Inside: This stage plays mostly "on rails" in the sense that you ride spinning platforms past various obstacles in a desperate attempt to see what's going on in the midst of PolyObjects not rendering properly. In testing this stage I found that riding a spinning PolyObject slowly slides you towards the center of it as if it were a conveyor belt. I put this to good use at one point. The track "x06" by anonymous (also from the Ideas Man soundtrack) plays.

A couple more unused audio tracks are inside the file too.

If you're upset with the difficulty of the current stages then please complain about it, you'll probably motivate me to make more, much more difficult stages. I hope you enjoy this release in the meantime.

Screenshots available here.
http://imgur.com/uHyo3Ld,OVVcYp9,FFqiNUJ,jAi1xd5,CNOZNPr,jiSJJtJ

Moderator Notice:
Link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't this have been submitted to submissions(wow, redundancy department of redundancy)?

I tried to post it under submissions and the system wouldn't recognise my attached files, so I figured it might be appropriate to post it here since it's -sort of- unfinished. I wrote a short apology/explanation about that at the top of my post but forgot to copy/paste it after I refreshed the page.

You still have to go through submissions to release something of any significance. Make sure you compress your file (ZIP, RAR, etc.) and that it's less than the filesize limit (if you break the limit you'll need to use a split archive) and submissions should have no problem taking the attachment.

You still have to go through submissions to release something of any significance. Make sure you compress your file (ZIP, RAR, etc.) and that it's less than the filesize limit (if you break the limit you'll need to use a split archive) and submissions should have no problem taking the attachment.

I had another go and got the same error. I uploaded through the separate window and it shows up in the attachments list, but it tells me I still need to upload at least one attachment.
ALbPGxc.png

Try uploading your screenshots through the attachments, as well. I'd prefer to see the screenshots embedded to the forum, anyways.

Try uploading your screenshots through the attachments, as well. I'd prefer to see the screenshots embedded to the forum, anyways.

I've tried this and it didn't work for me either.

---

I hit up Mystic on the IRC and sorted out the problem. If someone could delete or lock this thread for me that'd be appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back