SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Help

Old 09-04-2016   #1
Virt
Trollerskates

Default Couldn't Load 'r_opengl.dll'

I wanted to play SRB2 today after a while of... not playing SRB2, and I tried to do it in OpenGL mode but I get this error:

The regular version of the game runs fine. I have r_opengl.dll in my SRB2 folder, so I don't know what the problem might be.
Old 09-04-2016   #2
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Could be because you have lots of wad files in your SRB2 Folder, try moving those wads to DOWNLOADS Subfolder and retry .
Old 09-04-2016   #3
Steel Titanium

Okay, first all, what does having so many files in a folder relate to the game failing to load a dll file. The best thing to do is actually help Virt find the root of his problem.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #4
Sapheros
That guy that ports
Permanently Banned

I think it's more of SRB2DD getting so outdated that it refuses to launch OpenGL in that renderer.
Sapheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #5
Virt
Trollerskates

I moved all my extra wad files to another folder and nothing changed.

When I launch the game in OpenGL mode but with the regular srb2win.exe, I get no error message, but the game immediately crashes.
Old 09-04-2016   #6
UltimaXtreme
RENEWAL

Alright, let's get some stuff clear here.
Having WADs doesn't affect the game until you load them.

Now, beyond that. SRB2WIN by default uses SDL2. I highly suggest, if you have a computer with Windows 8 or higher, you use SDL2, because DD is no longer being supported. By 2.2, you won't even have DD as an option.

Now, there's software rendering, and OpenGL rendering. Software uses your CPU. The game launches in software by default, for both versions of the client. If you want OpenGL, you need to tell it to with one of the included BAT files. OpenGL will use your GPU.

Now, there can, and have been problems where the GPU is prioritized by something else. I suggest you close other programs before attempting to run SRB2 in OGL. And finally, make sure the r_opengl.dll you have is the one included with the archive of the game. You can basically just re-extract the game from the installer and if OGL works then, you know the reason.

Final suggestion is to check your configurations. There's been claims that too high a resolution can mess up the game, though I've not experienced it myself.

Quote:
<HellHawkX> depends
<Inkoishi> you really can shit

Last edited by UltimaXtreme; 09-04-2016 at 09:48 PM.
UltimaXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #7
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaXtreme View Post
Having WADs doesn't affect the game until you load them.
Of course it doesn't, i suggested it because it happened to me once and i had to clean srb2 folder to fix it .
Old 09-05-2016   #8
elvinkonohana
Hoodie

Did you try reinstall SRB2?

Discord : SciuriRal#4764
elvinkonohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016   #9
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Before we get any other theories and stuff flying about, I'm pretty sure the problem here is actually because we somehow goofed up with building 2.1.15's r_opengl.dll for srb2dd.exe (in addition to the optimisation problems yes), where somehow it requires some extra dll with libgcc in the name?

I don't remember the exactly dll name offhand, but if you had that in your SRB2 folder you might see srb2dd.exe's OpenGL working again. Can't guarantee that of course, mind.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016   #10
gregory_house
ʇxǝʇ pǝddᴉlɟ ɹɐoɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ʍoN

I'd like to add that this isn't a 2.1.15 only issue as the older versions (can't remember well right now, but might be 2.0.6 too) also liked to throw me that error randomly.
I seem to recall that when it did only a reboot would make it work again, which is quite weird, actually.