• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

Let me give you a little tip regarding humor.

When you make a joke, the joke itself generally has to have some relevance to the topic at hand. If you posted this in, say, a Smokey the Bear character editing topic, then it might actually be funny. Or, if this was a topic about the Completionist, which you are apparently quoting, this would make sense. If you were posting on a forum that was about bears, then same deal.

However, this is not the case here. There are no bears in this topic (or forum, even) and this topic is not about the Completionist, so your reasoning for including the pun does not make sense. It does not even qualify as a joke. At best, your post is a non sequitur. "BEAR!" may have been funny the first time you saw it, but without the proper context, this punchline loses impact. You're parroting a catchphrase you heard from somewhere else because it's funny to you, but this means nothing to us because there's no way to connect MotorRoach's Sonic wad to the Completionist or the concept of bears.

In the future, if you want to make a joke, you should consider what makes a joke funny. Because this is a topic about Sonic and Super/Hyper Sonic has been recently discussed here, maybe loop back to something about Hyper Sonic or Super Emeralds ("Someone must have injected this topic with Super Emeralds, because THE HYPE IS REAL!"), but anyway, try and think about why it's funny so you can learn to make your own jokes that other people will get.

It's because I said the hype was "UN-BEAR-ABLE".

No joking in here, I'm being brutally serious to you here, Gemini the Roleplayer.

Please, stop trying so hard to be funny. CobaltBW already explained it why your cheap humor doesn't works, and all your "funny" posting does is make the whole thread go off-topic with such pointless posts. Try to stay in topic or just don't post at all, because nobody asked to see how funny you are.

Back on topic, I might post some more screenshots tomorrow or so!

I think that's pretty accruate.
More like
YpSCaYs.png

Guys, this is a topic for discussing the sprites that MotorRoach is making. If you're talking about something OTHER than his sprites, it doesn't belong in this thread. This includes trying to reprimand people who are breaking the rules. I know kids like that can be obnoxious, but remember that we will eventually get to handling the problem, so replying tends to just make the problem worse by derailing the topic even further. If you want it dealt with immediately, try bringing it up with an admin on IRC.

Last edited:
To get a fresh start here, I hope the screenshots won't spoil too much. I'm slowly getting to the point that I want to experience Sonic from my perspective.

Last edited:
Regardless of the other stuff in this thread, the sprites are turning out really nice. Your use of anti aliasing is truly stupefying.

I just wonder who will be the modeler to take care of this sexy hedgehog? *looks at Virt, Virtual and Jeck*

I just wonder who will be the modeler to take care of this sexy hedgehog? *looks at Virt, Virtual and Jeck*

If the standard Sonic had our models, then the new one will do the same. After all, this is a sprite update, nothing will change between this Sonic and the old one, except the sprites, sure.

Last edited:
Suggestion

These sprites are REALLY good, but I have a problem with one of them.
33otx4x.png

Something looks...odd about the spikes to me. I think it's because the spikes look too close to each other (horizontally) making Sonic's head look squished.
Can you make his spikes stick out a bit more like this? I think it will make the sprite look better.
18INzCa.png

From the angle that you look at it it does seem like the two spikes on the right are slightly compressed towards the middle, I dunno if that's a perspective thing that's intentional or if it's an issue with the sprite. Does look very nice, otherwise.

@Root: Making his spines stick out like that would just make it inconsistent to the rest of the angles, not to mention I don't recall Sonic ever having his spines to stick out like that either.

@Burning-Fox: Yeah, it's a perspective thing. I think it was discussed in one of the pages of the thread, even.

I took a few more screenies for all of ya~

l2QdCTc.png

49b7vK5.png

tdnlneM.png

These sprites are almost looking too good compared to the level textures and enemy sprites, lol.
After this is released (whenever that may be) I might actually be interested in playing Sonic more, since I won't have to look at ugly/messy sprites anymore.

Look closely in the second picture, there is a white Pixel on Sonic's middle spike. :P

Ah, had a feeling it was perspective. Haven't read the entire thread, but yeah.

Also, yellow still looks like garbage but that's the fault of SRB2's colour selection (as long as it stays like that it always will).
Looks very nicely smoothed out. Makes me jealous because spriting is so... DIFFICULT.
All the colours, even white to quite a big extent, look real nice. I really like red and black, though.
inner edge

Look closely in the second picture, there is a white Pixel on Sonic's middle spike. :P

It is called Software mode, it can't handle, at all, multiple layers when talking about using a sprite over a 3d enviroment. So if that sprite is bad calculated by the layers, the sprite goes out of it's position and shows the white background of the sprites, which it is a method to save place on the screen on a 3d enviroment for sprites. I'm a genius, right?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back