SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 12-14-2014   #121
Phil the hegi
Absolute Nonsense

Nev3r has doomed our souls to rot in heaven for all of eternity...
Old 12-14-2014   #122
Terra
Needy child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
Monster "Yes-tin". See, "Iestyn" is a Welsh name.
I always pronounced it like Einstein without the N.
Anyway, I also always wondered why you couldn't record gifs in OpenGL mode. Recording APNGs is really laggy.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014   #123
VelocitOni
KartKrew Dev

OpenGL can't run gifs because it basically has infinite color range that far exceeds the range of the old-school 256 palette; something most gifs require for compression and software conveniently follows.

The polyobject is a result of something RedEnchilada coded in 2.1.12, something about custom thinkers of sorts. So in short, our boy Nev3r here actually coded the polyobject to follow a "dummy" gargoyle I assume. This probably expands the realm for polyobject use to near fucking infinite.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the hegi View Post
Nev3r has doomed our souls to rot in heaven for all of eternity...
How the hell does one rot in heaven of all places?

Last edited by VelocitOni; 12-14-2014 at 07:43 PM.
VelocitOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014   #124
frozenLake

Wait: could those sliding blocks be used for secret passages?

...a better question is if they could be tricked into rotating.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014   #125
Phil the hegi
Absolute Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman404 View Post
OpenGL can't run gifs because it basically has infinite color range that far exceeds the range of the old-school 256 palette; something most gifs require for compression and software conveniently follows.

The polyobject is a result of something RedEnchilada coded in 2.1.12, something about custom thinkers of sorts. So in short, our boy Nev3r here actually coded the polyobject to follow a "dummy" gargoyle I assume. This probably expands the realm for polyobject use to near fucking infinite.

EDIT:

How the hell does one rot in heaven of all places?
Thats how bad he's screwed up. We're all so screwed heaven can't save us.
We are, in the most literal sense, fucked.
All jokes aside: If I ever manage to master poly-objects it seems like I'll be able to make some seriously awesome maps.
...if I could make a really good map in the first place.

Last edited by Phil the hegi; 12-14-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Phil the hegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #126
fickleheart
gender collector

http://pastebin.com/sxqGw3m9

It's not much to take interest in, but I wrote Pac a little utility script to make detecting button taps/releases easier and was told to post it somewhere public. You can load it in as a separate script lump fine; once you have it set up just use player.buttonstate[BT_whatever] to get the state of a button. (1 == tap, >1 == held for X frames, -1 == released, <-1 == released for X frames)
fickleheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #127
.Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman404 View Post
I call fraud. This is just some sort of skybox based hack where he's actually pushing all of the map around him relatively, causing the block to "appear" to move.

Nice try, but please don't derail the topic with your fake nonsense.
It's been a long time since I spat accidentally while laughing, thank you, good sir.

I swear, if I wasn't already busy with original stuff now, you wouldn't be able to pull me away from SRB2DoomBuilder. Now that we might be able to push polyobjects around in the near future.
Old 12-31-2014   #128
fickleheart
gender collector

Paging all modelers in the community: how satisfactory would a system kind of like the above for color remapping on MD2s be? (There's been no coding work done for the concept; I just wanted to gauge interest, and no modelers I know of lurk IRC)
Old 12-31-2014   #129
Virt
Trollerskates

So that's saying that you could have a blend file that shows what parts of the texture would be changed when color changes? It sounds like it could be useful for solid-color textures, but I can't see it working with more detailed or intricate textures. I could be wrong, though. Am I wrong?
Old 12-31-2014   #130
Yacker
Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virt the Fox View Post
So that's saying that you could have a blend file that shows what parts of the texture would be changed when color changes? It sounds like it could be useful for solid-color textures, but I can't see it working with more detailed or intricate textures. I could be wrong, though. Am I wrong?
Couldn't you leave black underneath and make the blend a bit transparent over it for shading?
Yacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014   #131
fickleheart
gender collector

Yeah, the idea would be partial blending with dark colors for shading. If that doesn't work it'd also be possible to read the alpha channel and luminosity from the blending texture and blend based on a combination of those, if that'd be more useful.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

(I could edit my post, but double-posting and letting it merge should show new activity here)

Here's a hastily thrown-together example, with a sloppy edit of the texture on Jeck's Sonic MD2, really bad color choices, and manual blending in GIMP.

Spoiler: texture images

SONIC.png

SONIC_blend.png

Sample results (exact color used to blend is shown around the crops)

[COLOR=red]THIS IS A MOCKUP[/COLOR]

Last edited by fickleheart; 12-31-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2014   #132
MotorRoach
Top Cock
Developer

Oh my god, this is amazing. Finally a proper way to change colors in models, I just love this endlessly~
Old 12-31-2014   #133
Terra
Needy child

Holy shit... color changing MD2s!? I love you Red.
No homo.
Old 12-31-2014   #134
fickleheart
gender collector

This is seriously just a concept for now, nothing code-wise has even been done like I said six posts ago...
Old 01-01-2015   #135
Virt
Trollerskates

Okay, yeah, now I see how it could work. It looks like a nice concept and I hope it evolves into an actual product.
Old 01-02-2015   #136
fickleheart
gender collector

Fuck everything right now. (I need to figure out why I'm getting memory errors too .-.)
Old 01-02-2015   #137
Puppyfaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEnchilada View Post
http://pastebin.com/sxqGw3m9

It's not much to take interest in, but I wrote Pac a little utility script to make detecting button taps/releases easier and was told to post it somewhere public. You can load it in as a separate script lump fine; once you have it set up just use player.buttonstate[BT_whatever] to get the state of a button. (1 == tap, >1 == held for X frames, -1 == released, <-1 == released for X frames)
I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner. THANK YOU. This will help immensely on a project I'm working on.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015   #138
Phil the hegi
Absolute Nonsense

Quote:

Fuck everything right now. (I need to figure out why I'm getting memory errors too .-.)
Yes! Color changing MD2 progress has begun! If only my computer could run OGL... *sigh*
Old 01-02-2015   #139
frozenLake

Hmm: What would Super Sonic look like?
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015   #140
Terra
Needy child

Quote:

This is the best thing ever. I can't believe you actually managed to do this! That's amazing!