• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic Robo Blast 2: Apocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should continue working on this. It's fun, but definitely needs some work. And lots of bug-fixing. But, what's going on with map20 (Stardust Speedway)? It's rather eerie.

Oh also, for the love of Srb2, use F_SKY1 for the sky areas!
I can't believe you're using the lavafall texture for lava pools, use RLAVA1.

Last edited:
You need to scrap this. Just try making a level with everything you can think of in it.
Just put shiz together. Once you find out what gimmicks go with what, and what themes to mix, you can do it better.
Also, do a S3 style apocalypse transition if anything. (Angel island, anyone?)

Last edited:
You are better at mapping than I (yes, I'm bad). Seeing this wad, I see that much of the file size is because of the music. I recommend you convert them to OGG format to reduce the file size, at least somewhat. Do not know if It could help, but some recommended settings can be found on this page of wiki.

I wish you luck with your wad.

You know, it kinda makes me feel better after a long day to download a random WAD from Editing or Releases, play it a little, and then trash it on the forums if it's deserving it. This one on the other hand didn't even require me to download it and I already saw it'll be a disaster. That entire first post is a hefty mountain of crap.

Well, first of all, stick to the initial trio. Shadow has NO purpose here and that character... *sigh*
A recolour? Really? May I tell you why that doesn't work at all?

Now, to the stages. In truth I played only the first Act and then quit after the 2D section in that "scorched" GHZ after I got burned to death by the lava fall for some reason. Also, the sky is horrifying as everyone already pointed out before me. Either it's all HoMs or it's just textured walls. Apocalypse theme is also a bad theme to choose and/or work with as Eggmanway5 already demonstrated (boomcrysiscity, bruh).

Also, a single zone is worth 72 MBs worth of space? Are you bloody serious?

(OFF-TOPIC) Fan characters are ok, But recolors are dumb, hideous, and most of all, unoriginal!
2qb6rd0.jpg

Do not EVER 'E.V.E.R' make a recolor and just say it... (Also that recolor meant to be a female...) If you wanted to make a female fan character, add some feminine-like eyelashes. I can understand if you give the owners credit after recoloring or making your first "fan character" 's VERY first look.
2gwz1xu.jpg

See? This version is better than the recolor version above.

(ON-TOPIC) You still need to fix the ugly textures. And remember what I said above... (Why did I say that here?!)
Oh and by the way, That was a info of NOT-TO-MAKE-RECOLORS-BUT-MAKE-FAN-CHARACTERS-INSTEAD!!!

In all honesty, that looks like you took Sonic, recoloured him pink, crossed him over with DBZ and vomitted on it all. That is not how you should create fancharacters at all and you're just misinforming here. Take a look at Coat for a good OC example.

It's still not justifiable to even include something like that in a WAD in the first place. This is all a feeble ambition and he should scrap it and start with something smaller. No levelpacks, no custom music, and hell no fancharacters.

(OFF-TOPIC) Fan characters are ok, But recolors are dumb, hideous, and most of all, unoriginal!
2qb6rd0.jpg

Do not EVER 'E.V.E.R' make a recolor and just say it... (Also that recolor meant to be a female...) If you wanted to make a female fan character, add some feminine-like eyelashes. I can understand if you give the owners credit after recoloring or making your first "fan character" 's VERY first look.
2gwz1xu.jpg

See? This version is better than the recolor version above.

(ON-TOPIC) You still need to fix the ugly textures. And remember what I said above... (Why did I say that here?!)
Oh and by the way, That was a info of NOT-TO-MAKE-RECOLORS-BUT-MAKE-FAN-CHARACTERS-INSTEAD!!!
This is the shittiest "guide" ever. Lmfao

No no. It's one thing to be bad at explaining stuff. It's another to have no idea what you are talking about.

In all honesty, that looks like you took Sonic, recoloured him pink, crossed him over with DBZ and vomitted on it all. That is not how you should create fancharacters at all and you're just misinforming here. Take a look at Coat for a good OC example.

It's still not justifiable to even include something like that in a WAD in the first place. This is all a feeble ambition and he should scrap it and start with something smaller. No levelpacks, no custom music, and hell no fancharacters.
I was ACTUALLY helping him, and the fan character is an example. so don't blame me for making an example!

The example's awful though and doesn't show how good fan characters can be done.

If you REALLY want to see a good fan character is done, look at Jasper and Knockout. If I were you, Flare, I wouldn't add a fan character at all.

Last edited:
The example's awful though and doesn't show how good fan characters can be done.

If you REALLY want to see a good fan character is done, look at Jasper and Knockout. If I were you, Flare, I wouldn't add a fan character at all.
I may have to agree with you, it does look awful, I actually forgot to put cloths on her... *facepalm*
9jklfl.jpg

(Off topic) Idk if tempest or Inazuma are good examples, but Tempest probably isn't. If you want to make an OC, choose some new species, and make it look original. Or, include a "rarely seen" official character, I am working on a Bean the Dynamite wad, if you want to include that.

(On topic) Ok, so overall this was... horrible. Just horrible.

Ok, so I'll dump all the screenshots in spoilers so I don't waste space.

LPWO5P7.png
Ok, so could you make that zoom tube easier to see somehow? I failed to notice it at first.

Zh3uWNB.png
gHKDSIr.png
Everyone keeps telling you to fix those goddamn skyboxes. I usually play in opengl, but my screenshot command only works in software (idk why)

Z19RK3w.png
I knew I was supposed to go forward - common sense - which some people don't have, so make it clearer please.

YRaUM13.png
WTF???? So I'm guessing you don't know how to make a nice stream? You didn't even use the right texture for the environment it's in.

NZ1u2gD.png
Ok, so could you fix that anoying texture bug please? "Presentation is everything"

YYolZvR.png
Ok, so where the heck am I supposed to go? Is that... A HOMING CHAIN! *facepalm* No, just no, and where does it take you? It seems like the obvious path...

8dpgHaK.png
Wha...? It's not? Well, I got an emblem from my admin script using "mygravity" (which just changes your jumpfactor) and jumping up to a place you wouldn't be able to get to with vanilla characters.

ymW3yc7.png
Wha... what is this? Oh, it's that zoom tube I came from, but why did you place it in such a place, it seems that you have to jump and speedthok into it?

r3nPkLu.png
So... I can't get to the end sign? Wait a second... I am where I started! Wow, amazing level design *Sarcasm alert*
Is this level unfinished???

KfpZ9kC.png
I'm not gonna say anything... Just that you should change that texture, and never use it for anything AGAIN! EVER!

9BR8gEe.png
Until I have shown you this is how I got here. =3

MmDqmmE.png
What the... Does this even have any kind of purpose?

OElBaYN.png
Wait, what? So I went round in circles for 2 minutes just to find that I had missed THIS BUTTON??????? I just looked round that corner, and thought "oh, just some kind of decoration for once!"

5zSz1y2.png
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay..... Or maybe not...

D3bBnsa.png
Oooohhh, how amazing! It's totally not an eyesore!
Please, add some decoration.

kPiQT5d.png
Ooh, a nice beach with some wallpaper with a sky texture on it! how fancy!

pWqFcCa.png
Wait... so you DO know how to make water sectors? I'm really confused right now...

4P4tVvh.png
How many people have told you to fix this skybox? How many times?

Well, I also have to say, that every single boss level has "CHEAP DEATH" plastered all over it.

Overall, I honestly hate this level. And don't say I'm being harsh, because I am one of those few people who actually like Eggmanway5

And this is coming from the embarassed creator of "Sonic Core" from "Sage act 1"

Anyway, I should really tell you how to improve. Basically, please remove homing chains, and make places reachable with any character.

Also, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just giving my opinion. Do not take any offence, just improve with what I have had to say. Thanks

~~HitCoder~~

Yay, long review over. *sigh of relief*
(Even though it wasn't that long compared to some, and people may call this a rant.)

Anyway, good map pack examples to try (if you haven't already) are The Emerald Isles, TorturedPlanet, and MysticRealm. All three are very popular and very liked among the comunity.

Last edited:
YRaUM13.png
WTF???? So I'm guessing you don't know how to make a nice stream? You didn't even use the right texture for the environment it's in.

Uh, I'm sorry? I didn't know that everyone had to use specific textures for their level. As much as I hate this thing with a passion, that's a shitty complaint.
Just because it's DSZ-themed doesn't mean it's a requirement for the creator to have no creative license whatsoever.

EDIT: Oh yeah also I think it looks perfectly fine. Not sure what's so bad about it. Because it's crooked? Well, that makes it look like it was created by nature.

Uh, I'm sorry? I didn't know that everyone had to use specific textures for their level. As much as I hate this thing with a passion, that's a shitty complaint.
Just because it's DSZ-themed doesn't mean it's a requirement for the creator to have no creative license whatsoever.

EDIT: Oh yeah also I think it looks perfectly fine. Not sure what's so bad about it. Because it's crooked? Well, that makes it look like it was created by nature.

I guess I was a bit nitpicky. I showed one of my friends my post and they mentioned the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back