Texas invents time machine and changes the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Knux

Daww, a mother and her foal
The time machine is a history textbook.

From the NY Times:

AUSTIN, Tex. — After three days of turbulent meetings, the Texas Board of Education on Friday approved a social studies curriculum that will put a conservative stamp on history and economics textbooks, stressing the superiority of American capitalism, questioning the Founding Fathers’ commitment to a purely secular government and presenting Republican political philosophies in a more positive light.
Basically, Texan history books (which many text books across the nation are based upon) are now being subject to the following changes:
- Emphasis on the role of Christianity in the government and denial of the separation of church and state.
- More focus on modern conservative programs like the NRA and Heritage Foundation.
- More attention on the Black Panthers and their role in the civil rights movement, as opposed to Martin Luther King.
- Stress on the fact that Germans and Italians were interned in America during World War II, not just Japs.
- Putting McCarthyism in a good light by saying the Venona papers proved that the US government had been infiltrated by communists.
- Capitalism is now known as the "free-enterprise system".
- Also, they're stressing how awesome capitalism is.
- Thomas Jefferson is no longer considered one of the leading writers of the American Revolution, because he supported the separation of church and state.

Last edited:
On one hand, the public school system in Texas has been getting rather left-handed over the past few years.

On the other hand, this is pretty much equally as ridiculous.

When I read the title I thought they had actually invented a real time machine...

- Thomas Jefferson is no longer considered one of the leading writers of the American Revolution, because he supported the separation of church and state.

But wasent he also the 3rd president? What are they going to say about that?

That's how you make everything that's bad about the United States seem good and vice versa. "No, we're not racist, but the Black rights movement were just a bunch of criminal terrorists. And who is Martin Luther King?" Also, I fear that there are actually people who will fall for the "separation of church and state is a bad thing" joke.

The actual thread is different from the thread title, but it's still pretty intriguing.

Fahrenheit 451, anyone? Those changes just reek of "Benjamin Franklin was the first fireman to burn books."

The actual thread is different from the thread title, but it's still pretty intriguing.

Fahrenheit 451, anyone? Those changes just reek of "Benjamin Franklin was the first fireman to burn books."

To add to the erasing of the past, this is dis-encouraging opinion and use of the human intellect to think and feel on controversial issues.

And look... with tecnological advancements, soon enough, technology will control our minds... Actually, it kind of already has.....

Well world... You've disappointed me. You just won't overcome poverty and troubling issues, will you? What's now, you're erasing the past. Thus, we are not LEARNING from our MISTAKES!

Not to say I agree with everything in that article, but The New York Times tends to output some pretty liberally slanted articles, so I'm sure this has been written up in such a way to make it sound as bad as possible. Try to find an article about it from a Texas newspaper, maybe?

Anyone notice that Texas has the best economy out of all the states right now? Wonder why that is...

Last edited:
Let me just say that I'm really glad I don't live in Texas anymore. As a strong liberal who nevertheless hates extremism in all its forms (right and left wing) I consider this an outrage which will fan the flames of ignorance and vitriol in Texan education and politics.

Anyone notice that Texas has the best economy out of all the states right now? Wonder why that is...

I think it has something to do with the fact that the Texas state government has fewer qualms about raping the land of its resources than many other states. Which means that their economy will thrive now, but will suffer in the future.

Last edited:

Fahrenheit 451 is my favorite book ever. It's scary how many things from it are actually coming true now.

Anyone think Texas will secede from the United States anytime soon?

What's really infuriating about this is that, because Texas is a central producer and exporter of textbooks, the Texas Board of Education is essentially making this decision for the entire country, including the regions that aren't completely insane.

What's really infuriating about this is that, because Texas is a central producer and exporter of textbooks, the Texas Board of Education is essentially making this decision for the entire country, including the regions that aren't completely insane.

You know, since California is the largest state, they've passed a lot of laws and have a lot of regulations that end up affecting other states. Don't hear much infuriation out of that... it's all a game.

The people who lose are the students across the country when both political parties decide that indoctrination is more important than teaching history.

It's a pretty common technique for making people do what you want. Control the information they obtain so they don't know any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back