Sonic Classic Collection Hits the DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Game Gear games are exceptionally tiny and take up practically no space, though, so there's no reason NOT to include them.

Why would we need this when we got the Sega Nomad?

But seriously, I'm buying this.

I wish I did have a nomad.

I actually like this, even with the Resolution squashed. Why? Cause I hate having to scroll right or left on my emulator to see everything. Sure, it looks great that way, but I'm not able to see the entire screen or that enemy thats in the corner waiting to kill me.

I'm all for this.

Nintendo Power have just released their preview of Sonic Classic Collection in their latest issue (#252) and give an expectedly straightforward preview. It mentions everything that you thought that it would, thanks to the recent string of media that hit the net last week. One thing that sticks out is the preview’s mention of “framerate issues.” Nintendo World Report’s preview also made light of hiccups in the collection’s framerate.

What has yet to be determined is whether these framerate issues are old or new. Yeah, when you had a lot of rings and lost them all, for instance, the originals chugged, but are there new framerate issues as a result of porting? We will find out soon enough

Sonic 1 GBA all over again!

FFFFFFffffffffff

I actually like this, even with the Resolution squashed.
Ditto; i'll take adjusted over zoomed any day. Was everyone really expecting a lossless perfect conversion from this?

Also on the framerate issues have you played it yourself? Unless it's stuck at 10fps I don't really care. DS screens are not very responsive for fast motion anyway.

I wish I did have a nomad.

Six AA batteries, short battery life. It's only really good if you keep it plugged into something at all times, which kind of ruins the point (unless you're using it on car trips and the like).

And hell, compared to Sonic 1 GBA? Anything'd look nice compared to that.

Take all the Sonic games up to Sonic Jam, you got yourself a collection. But we are here to talk about the classics......right?

Apparently, the resolution is squashed and it looks pretty terrible.

http://www.sonicretro.org/2010/02/sega-one-step-closer-to-ruining-more-genesis-games/#more-288

Clearly making the screen scroll a bit to the left or right to compensate for the lower resolution is too hard for SEGA to fund. Sonic 1 GBA, anyone?

You know what Mystic? Who cares? If you dont like the game resolution, then dont get the game. It's as simple as that. It will leave the more hardcore fans more copies of the game. I grew up wth Sonic since Day 1, and played through many of his adventures. So no crappy screen resolution is going to stop me from getting my childhood memories on the go! So there! >_<

Nova, its not like this is an uncommon problem. Some of the Game Gear games were rendered unplayable for this very reason even before Sonic 3 was released. Some of the more basic games make the transition more smoothly (kirby, mario, megaman would too), but Sonic's just got too much going on.

Nova, you may not care, but I'm sure I'm not the only one disappointed that this is not a proper port but is instead an emulator. For that price I'd expect a real port or at least a lot more than 4 ROMs.

If it's good enough for you, that's fine. It's your choice how to spend your money and if you don't mind some visual depreciation, you'll probably enjoy it. I know it would annoy me, though, and I can't be the only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgiE-hKuLb4&feature=player_embedded#

1:18 - Knuckles has seizure (Sprite issue)
5:08 - The game messes up Special Stages. Makes it unplayable
Spin Dash - Breaks your ears
Colors a little iffy in some places
Not all options are there. (Debug,level select, sound test) which was one of the better things owning a compilation then getting it off VC,XBL,PSN.
Framerate issues in areas
Ring loss will bloke the screen
You might go on another plane

Example.
Knuckles was going up a loop, he didn't make it and went down... but he apparently jumped on the ground where the loop completes.

The guy seems to have jumping issues...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back