16-bit gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
16-bit gaming consoles were the fourth generation of gaming.The genesis and the Snes were competing for the best foruth generation gaming console . I wonder which one succeded in sales.

The Genesis sucked. Sure, there was a few Sonic games, Ristar, and a few other good games, but that's it. The Super Nintendo has Secret of Mana, the Donkey Kong Country series, SMW1 and 2, and much more. It had superior graphics and sound, and it did win in sales.

Luminous said:
The Genesis has Secret of Mana, the Donkey Kong Country series, SMW1 and 2, and much more. It had superior graphics and sound, and it did win in sales.

Because in the early 90s, Nintendo released all of their games on the Genesis.

Anyway, the SNES was better than the Genesis, in my opinion. Like Luminous stated (and this is rare, because I hardly ever agree with him on anything), the Genesis just didn't have enough to compete with the SNES.

Chisuun said:
the Genesis just didn't have enough to compete with the SNES.
BLAST PROCESSING!!!!!!!!!!!

It's really all a matter of opinion though. People who liked the games on the Genesis more than the ones on SNES are going to say that Genesis wins, and vice versa. Personally, I prefer the Genesis over the other, but I still enjoy both systems.

There were some games for the Genesis that were really good, awesome if you allow me the expretion and i´m gonna mention them:

Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Sonic 1, 2, 3 and all of the lock-ons with Sonic and Knuckles
Gunstar Heroes

Sonnarkku said:
Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Sonic 1, 2, 3 and all of the lock-ons with Sonic and Knuckles
Gunstar Heroes
I never played Altered Beast or Gunstar Heroes, Golden Axe is boring, and the Sonic games are only decent.

Exactly how good is Altered Beast?

Chisuun said:
The Genesis has Secret of Mana, the Donkey Kong Country series, SMW1 and 2, and much more. It had superior graphics and sound, and it did win in sales.
No, the SNES did.

Chisuun said:
Because in the early 90s, Nintendo released all of their games on the Genesis.
Pics or it didn't happen.

It's true that the SNES had superior sound and other capabilities, and its wide selection of games basically does mean it won, as far as I'm concerned. But the Genesis does deserve credit for a lot of the hits it spawned; Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, Vectorman (although I've never played that that), to name a few. Without Rocket Knight Adventures, there'd be no Sparkster, and Rocket Knight Adventures is one damn good game.

Luminous said:
Exactly how good is Altered Beast?

A 2d fighting-adventure game where you killed things like zombies, basilisks and giant beasts.

The game has 5 stages (wich are really hard) where you have to find 1 of the 4 of the servants of a bold guy and kill the bold guy at the end, this is in order to rescue Zeus´ daughter, through the game, you transform into 4 very different beasts (Werewolf, Dragon, Bear and Tiger).

It is very cool, but the game feels a little bit too short.

Bigboi said:
Sonnarkku said:
Altered Beast

You have got to be kidding me. Altered Beast was a clunky, miserable pile of trash. I never understood why it was considered a classic.
Faux nostalgia filter. Altered Beast didn't mean much to me and i'm old.

Altered Beast is a terrible game, but it had good graphics for the era so people gawked at it for that.

Mystic said:
Altered Beast is a terrible game, but it had good graphics for the era so people gawked at it for that.

The graphics weren't even all that good. Then again, it WAS a launch title.

Compared to the NES, it's amazing. Look at those HUGE SPRITES. OH MY GOD.

It sounds funny now, but in 1989 that was really impressive.

Bigboi said:
Sonnarkku said:
Altered Beast

You have got to be kidding me. Altered Beast was a clunky, miserable pile of trash. I never understood why it was considered a classic.

Same. My friends told me to get it, and I still can't relate to why they like it. The gameplay is meh, and the sound in general is just annoying.

Question number one, what the flak does blast processing have to do with anything?

Genesis had some quality titles, namely the Sonics, Ristar, Vectorman (never beat 2), Warsong/Langrisser, and it also has a more active community of hackers.

SNES had some quality titles as well, any mainstream Mario game, any Kirby game (though Superstar stands out), Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, or the Lost Vikings (Olaf the Stout, thank you) all stand out, but it has a more completionist community of hackers.

Sega took chances with peripherals like the Sega CD and the 32X. Now the games were botched abortions with absolutely no right to touch the Sega Genesis whatsoever, and Nintendo took the chance on the Phillips CD-i. As anyone who played would know, the CD-i was an abomination. Sega lost not because they had worse games, or poorer hardware, but because they jumped the shark and released the Saturn eons ahead of when it should have been released. Then they rushed the Dreamcast.

Honestly, I like them both. Sega ran more on "Killer App, you gotta buy this game right now! And then play it until we say to buy another one!", whereas Nintendo ran on "Yes we have this Killer App, but we also have that one over there, and another there, and one right in your ear," when you buy a game you think you'll hate and then just grow to love, "and we have more coming."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back