Visual C++ is refusing to install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaysakado

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/ <- that's what I'm using, if it matters.

It gets to the part where it has those two columns, iirc, one is for downloading, and one is for installing, and it finishes with the one on the left, then crashes with a generic "setup.exe has stopped working" on the first file on the right.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

http://kaysakado.googlepages.com/erroralsospazzo.jpg
^pic of exactly what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
Any particular reason why you need Visual C++? If I were you, I'd just grab MinGW plus Code::Blocks. Unless you specifically need MSVC for what you're doing, I think you should stick with the minimal and portable solution.

What are you trying to build? If you're trying to build SRB2, its MUCH LESS heartache if you build it using MinGW.

Possibly because it's a much better IDE than CB and Dev-C++? Or maybe because the thing he wants to compile only comes with VC++ project files?

Anyways, try the basics, such as installing with "Run as administrator". Also, try installing the .NET Framework first, just for safety's sake.

Possibly because it's a much better IDE than CB and Dev-C++? Or maybe because the thing he wants to compile only comes with VC++ project files?
Both of these, but mostly the latter.

Anyways, try the basics, such as installing with "Run as administrator". Also, try installing the .NET Framework first, just for safety's sake.
It doesn't even start up unless I run as administrator. And I have the .NET framework already.

Heh heh. You guys just reminded me that I really want Visual C++ installed on my computer, in case I need it. So I went to that link, and tried what you tried, and it worked perfectly for me.

But I use XP. Are you using Vista?

Conflicts from security programs, maybe?

Just a thought...

What do the details say?

I get the "Setup has failed" when I try t odownload driver cards. AND I'm on Vista.

I don't know why, but Vista just does not like to install things.

*) Download Sun Virtualbox
*) Create a new virtual machine
*) Install Windows XP on it
*) Install VC Express
*) ???
*) Profit!

The problem with running Windows in a VM is that you still have to activate the thing, especially since WGA likes to complain whenever it sees a different hardware configuration. It's especially troublesome because most users only have the OEM Windows discs that come with their systems. Purchasing a new, legitimate license of XP is risky these days because you need to phone Microsoft, and the registration code might be expired or invalid somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back