Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
$20 isn't "extremely cheap." There are a lot of great indie games that go for less than that. Seriously.

That's like saying "Buy Call of Duty MW2 for $20 because it's obviously the best FPS ever!"

After a game gets praised by reviewers and the fanbase, you still think you might not like the game based on previous titles? Who cares if you no longer care about the franchise and frequently disliked whatever came out before!

Actually, that plays a big part into buying video games of a franchise that's had a long and rough track record of shit. Even Sonic Colors AND Sonic 4 have some flaws.

You're passing by a great gem for your Wii.

Decent point, but there still are much better games to add to your Wii library than Sonic Colors.

Would you buy the game if it was "Mario Colors"?

Probably, given that Mario's actually been doing really good in the past decade.

You don't even have to buy it, you can rent it.

Still costs money to play a game you might not even want.

$20 isn't "extremely cheap." There are a lot of great indie games that go for less than that. Seriously.
Again, rent it if you don't want to spend 20 dollars.
That's like saying "Buy Call of Duty MW2 for $20 because it's obviously the best FPS ever!"
Call Of Duty is a pretty good game. If you can buy it for 20 dollars, then go ahead. It is worth your money. (Even though we're talking about Sonic..)
Decent point, but there still are much better games to add to your Wii library than Sonic Colors.
I always hear "There are no good games for Wii!". Fun to see the opposite.
Still costs money to play a game you might not even want.
Isn't it like 5 bucks to rent a game? I bet you'll like it.

If you don't want to spend money to rent it, why not borrow it from a friend if they have a copy of the game?

No new big characters
Sonic 4 didn't have that either.

no stupid gimmicks thrown in(werehog, medal collecting)
Sonic 4 didn't have those either. (They were smart enough to ditch the two bad gimmicks that were in the leaked beta.)

complete new voice cast
Having no voice acting is about ten times better.

reviewers praising the game
That's funny, Sonic 4 had those too. The Metacritic ratings for the versions range from 72 to 81, which is generally considered in the "good" range.

Also, Sonic Colors' Metacritic rating for the Wii (78) was worse than Sonic 4's (the aforementioned 81). Just saying.

I thought Terminal Velocity was epic considering it had some of the best graphics the Wii has ever had. It was only 1 act and a very short second act. :/
Yeah, and how much control did you have of Sonic at the time?

Very little, because the entire zone was on rails. You sat there and looked at the pretty graphics, and moved left and right, maybe hopped around a little too, and that's it. It is, in essence, a zone consisting of a glorified QTE.

Speaking of levels like this, how about Starlight Carnival 1? Five minutes worth of gameplay, and over half of it of it is just on-rails sections. The hell?

GroupGregs.jpg

I lol'd.
Wrong Gregs though.

犬夜叉;705018 said:
Speaking of levels like this, how about Starlight Carnival 1? Five minutes worth of gameplay, and over half of it of it is just on-rails sections. The hell?

You know, boosters are pretty much on-rails sections in themselves. Just saying. Sure, maybe they're not as long as the very few times it happens in Colors, but it's still kind of the same thing, I'd say.

$20 is not "free", and it is nowhere close to my "I'll try anything at this price" range. I have a very limited supply of money to buy my entertainment with, and the bottom line is that Sonic imploded over the last decade and he's now at the bottom of the priority list on things to purchase.

Sure, in a perfect world I would be massively rich and able to purchase every game I want to play, but in reality I don't have limitless money and therefore need to make decisions. I purchase around 4-6 games a year nowadays, and there just simply isn't room for a franchise that doesn't produce A+ titles in my budget.

This section of the page is definitely lacking some Greg here...
Holy shit. Someone cares about me? Sweet.

Too bad I don't want to argue with Inyuasha. Not because I'd lose by playing his game of arguing with his being oblivious to game breaking issues in Sonic 4, but because that argument would never end and his rank as admin would give him perfect grounds to ban me if I went far enough with the debate to actually smack some sense into him. Then again, that sounds rather fun to do, but after so much shit from Sonic 4 defenders, I really don't see why I should.

I've been observing while collectively having an utter nerdgasm all since Thursday. If they dare give Sonic a voice though, it better be Jaleel. No other voice says Retro Sonic.... Except maybe this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6hE2uCrPY&feature=related

Either Jaleel or this guy, should they give him a voice.

I sincerely hope this game is worth it. This is the point of no return. If this is the game featuring all of those remade levels, they better have worked on the engine. It will be a sin to not have perfect physics now. Spinball physics, SEGA. It better happen.

Another thing I'm interested in is seeing older bosses remade in 3D. Imagine if they remade the final boss before Doomsday from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. As much as I hate rehashes, this might be a moment for them to make rehashing interesting. I just hope they tailor this to be amazing since they've been working on this since Unleashed's development was finished.

$20 is not "free", and it is nowhere close to my "I'll try anything at this price" range. I have a very limited supply of money to buy my entertainment with, and the bottom line is that Sonic imploded over the last decade and he's now at the bottom of the priority list on things to purchase.
I see, but no one around you owns Colors?

Very little, because the entire zone was on rails. You sat there and looked at the pretty graphics, and moved left and right, maybe hopped around a little too, and that's it. It is, in essence, a zone consisting of a glorified QTE.
Using your reflexes to move right and left isn't "playing by itself".(I'm thinking that is what you mean?) Who cares if its onrails? On-Rails is a bad thing now?
Did I bring up Sonic 4? ?_?

I've been observing while collectively having an utter nerdgasm all since Thursday. If they dare give Sonic a voice though, it better be Jaleel. No other voice says Retro Sonic.... Except maybe this one.
Voice from Colors and no voice for Classic Sonic. Watch it happen.

Last edited:
I see, but no one around you owns Colors?
My friends gave up on Sonic long before I did. Why would anyone I know purchase a Sonic game when Sonic's existence is a running joke to anyone who pays attention to gaming?

I really feel the need to remind you how long it's really been. Sonic Adventure 2 was released in 2001. After a full decade of complete and utter incompetence, Sonic has ground his reputation into the ground so hard that basically nothing can possibly redeem it. To people not acquainted with the fanbase, Sonic is just one peg above Bubsy on the franchise food chain at this point.

Last edited:
Sonic Colors is great, Sonic 4 is an uninspired, sloppy train-wreck that will hopefully lead to an improved sequel. Now stop bickering.

Sonic Colors is great, Sonic 4 is an uninspired, sloppy train-wreck that will hopefully lead to an improved sequel. Now stop bickering.

I doubt that will help the bickering. Even if you bring details into the matter both opinions aren't budging. I think we're better off saying that whether you like Sonic 4 or not is totally up to your preference.

After a full decade of complete and utter incompetence, Sonic has ground his reputation into the ground so hard that basically nothing can possibly redeem it. To people not acquainted with the fanbase, Sonic is just one peg above Bubsy on the franchise food chain at this point.
Like Crash and Spyro?

I still call myself a Sonic fan. I play most of his stuff. I'm well aware of the faults of the franchise, but I enjoy the games for what they are; I don't hate for what isn't.

I enjoyed Sonic Colors, yes. I took in the look, sound, feel of the game. Sonic is an experience to me. It's not a "real" video game like Assassin's Creed which I finish then sell. I searched out all the red rings. I got all those chaos emeralds. Each Sonic game I play, I come, I see, I go. The game sinks into me and I sink into it. Perhaps this is what it means to "love" a game.

I claim to have grown up on Sonic games, owning two T-shirts bearing his image. I understand the fanbase split over Sonic # versus Sonic Adventure, and I understand that I sit in the Adventure camp. Sonic got to me before I discerned between "good" and "bad" video games, which left me like this. I spent hours and hours in each game because I knew nothing else. Now I fall into the habit of dissatisfaction with my games, wanting to truly do something more with my time than video games. But now I know that a quiet love for video games is plenty.

On the surface, I say I haven't played Sonic 4 because it "doesn't do justice to S3&K." I think I'm just scared of letting myself enjoy Sonic like I have before.

Last edited:
Sonic colors was good, not very sonic-ish, but a good step just a step in the right direction. I'm reminded of brain scratch during their review of sonic colors: you know what the fans want, take what was good in this game, improve on it!

Last edited:
Can't get enough of that sonic trailer with so many unanswered questions filling up my head! When, where, why, and how did the 90s sonic come back? Is this game another sonic collection? When I saw what systems it was for I kinda got a little disappointed. Guess sonic moved on from nintendo into the big leagues like xbox360 and ps3. Lets just hope this doesn't end up as bad as sonic 06 did. Still waiting for updates.

But the problem is, how many of you meet some random person and admit to liking Sonic in a casual conversation?
I have! And the person I'm talking to usually also admits freely to liking the games, or at the very least saying something like Unleashed "looks fun". Even the shooterfag in my Graphics class has a soft spot for SA2.

---

Also, something seems weird about the classic Sonic model to me. Maybe it's just a part of his design that I'm not used to, but he looks... artificial. Kinda like an action figure, but made out of rubber. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but...

I have! And the person I'm talking to usually also admits freely to liking the games, or at the very least saying something like Unleashed "looks fun". Even the shooterfag in my Graphics class has a soft spot for SA2.

---

Also, something seems weird about the classic Sonic model to me. Maybe it's just a part of his design that I'm not used to, but he looks... artificial. Kinda like an action figure, but made out of rubber. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but...

EVERYONE who owns a console knows about Sonic in my school. If I bring it up(Today we had MCA testing and I wrote a paper on Sonic's influence), they instantly remember the days of the Dreamcast, and how they loved Sonic Adventure and the Madden games on it.

Sonic didn't die off all the way yet, and even if he did he still left his mark on people.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, On the Sonic the Hedgehog facebook page (same one as the Trailer) Sega has put up a Poll which asks you which version of Sonic you prefer more.

Interesting Sega wants to know how many people like this version or that version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back