Suggestions

A thing you may forget is that a lot of the assets in SRB2's IWAD are very, very old. I'm pretty sure DCZ's textures date back to the 20th century. If we get around to making DCZ nowadays, we'd make new textures for quite a lot of it.

Some way to change the non-configurable controls would be nice. If just to account for players with keys that don't seem to work in game (such as F12 in my case)

Of course, if they're non-configurable for a good reason then ignore this post :V

Edit: Disregard this, I just found out about this hotfix.

Last edited:
I still think your suggestion is good, Whackjood. There's currently no way to bring up the pause menu in single player on a controller unless you have Esc bound to one of your buttons outside of SRB2.

This is totally random as suggestion, but I wonder if for whenever 2.2 is gonna release, we get a even bigger vertex/tri count for MD2. Even though i've been inactive for a long ass time, I had some models planned for release (higher poly than colors model), but lowering polygons is not my speciallity. More or less, it's fine for me, even if not increased.

How about a special sprite frame flag called FF_INVERT where, instead of using the translucency map for colors behind it, uses colors that are as close to inverted as possible, given palette limitations? I think it would be set up as a graphic like the translucency map.

Also, it would be cool to have font customization. For one, more than just two color-changeable shades in font graphics. It seems like you have to use the exact same colors the vanilla font does, or else only two shades of white will change color. Secondly, I'd like to have different text resolutions in WAD files, using something like 1x/2x/4x multiples of the default resolution as a MAINCFG option.

Lastly, I would love to have a random sky from the single player campaign be used for the title screen each time you play, since the ages-old GFZ1 sky has become stale.

Last edited:
The better thing for srb2 could be png support. if someone wants to make a sci fi or a realistic map or 3d skyboxes, it could be close to impossible. Why? Because, converting those textures could be a pain for the pallete.

The warm and soothing rain; the droplets falling

The better thing for srb2 could be png support. if someone wants to make a sci fi or a realistic map or 3d skyboxes, it could be close to impossible. Why? Because, converting those textures could be a pain for the pallete.
It's possible to make a skybox right now; in fact I did so for one of my maps.. though it still needs a lot of work.

My question is: how well would PNGs work with software mode? In there everything must be in the palette to my knowledge, so PNGs would either be out of place, not work properly or would be forced to comply with the palette or something. Right?

OpenGL supporting PNGs I doubt would be a problem in theory, since SRB2CB managed it of course.

My question is: how well would PNGs work with software mode? In there everything must be in the palette to my knowledge, so PNGs would either be out of place, not work properly or would be forced to comply with the palette or something. Right?

OpenGL supporting PNGs I doubt would be a problem in theory, since SRB2CB managed it of course.

They will work the same way they do for ZDoom and many other Sourceports , ZDoom of course has no OpenGL and they work there .

Last edited:
ZDoom automatically palettes them. If you're fine with them being paletted, then you'd be better off doing it yourself since you can replace the colors that didn't come out well.

GZDoom on the other hand doesn't, but that's OpenGL.

There is...Two suggestions that I find minor, so...

1. SRB2 should have different language features for console, menu, and text besides only English (Spanish, Itallian, portuguese, arabic, french, Japanese, korean, chinese, etc.). Especially a translator for someone elses' text so any player can know what one is saying (Mostly if they don't know any other languages).

2. In NiGHTS mode, can there be trick rings and Super Sonic being able to perform tricks by any key that would be the trick button? It may be because of the higher chances of adding additional score each time you perform tricks with the trick ring (Even with small, medium, big loop), but it's for easier control on Sonic because steering Super Sonic in NiGHTS mode is kinda harder than the original NiGHTS (Yeah I'm not used to Super Sonic's steering like I used to).

1. SRB2 should have different language features for console, menu, and text besides only English (Spanish, Itallian, portuguese, arabic, french, Japanese, korean, chinese, etc.). Especially a translator for someone elses' text so any player can know what one is saying (Mostly if they don't know any other languages).

I Agree with this, at least some kind of feature which analyses custom translation files "like a .txt for instance" to allow the users to Manually translate them by themselves would be really helpful .

SRB2 has some amount of support for translating game text, but I have no clue how complete it is or whether it works at all. It's hooked into a fair number of places in the code, so someone interested could look into the code and try to get translations going. Our ability to translate would be limited, though; between the dev team we might have people who could do one or two languages, but aside from that it'd be a community thing.

Translating other players' chat messages, on the other hand, is not feasible. I mean, unless you're asking us to feed everything sent through chat to Google Translate, which would be among the worst ideas I've ever pulled out of my ass.

SRB2 has some amount of support for translating game text, but I have no clue how complete it is or whether it works at all. It's hooked into a fair number of places in the code, so someone interested could look into the code and try to get translations going. Our ability to translate would be limited, though; between the dev team we might have people who could do one or two languages, but aside from that it'd be a community thing.

Translating other players' chat messages, on the other hand, is not feasible. I mean, unless you're asking us to feed everything sent through chat to Google Translate, which would be among the worst ideas I've ever pulled out of my ass.

Yea, SRB2 can be compiled with GNU GetText to allow us to replace in-game strings (not player strings)

We just need a team to translate said text...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back