Tips for multiplayer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, since Knuckles is your main character, here are some tricks you could try out:

When you bounce off a monitor, try gliding right after you bounce off to glide way up high, this is a good idea if you want to reach a higher place easily (Without having to climb up walls every time.)

If you come to a complete stop while playing as Knuckles, a good way to accelerate fast is to tap the jump button twice really quickly, so you jump and then immediately glide and cancel it. This helps you accelerate much quicker (Just like at the very beginning of this video if you go to 0:03.). If you climb up a wall, you could also tap the jump button right after jumping up at the top of the wall to glide/cancel quickly.

If you want to go towards a direction immediately after you land, then try gliding towards the direction you want to go right before you land, so you'll be running right after you land on the ground. This makes you able to dodge weapons better, and gives you a less likely chance of getting hit.

Excuse me, I had not seen your message.
With advice on the WASD + mouse, I became much stronger.

I knew the 2 first comments. The rebound on the monitors ... well, but I know little wicked who know very well handle the rails, so when I'm in the air, I accustomed myself to shift slightly to the right to dodge with D to don't stay in a straight line of sight rail.

The acceleration ... she found herself alone. It's instinctive. I use it over 200 times a game. It just comes naturally.
I usually used it after taking an item that is placed next to a wall. Otherwise, I lose speed by bumping me against the wall.

And the third comment .... you speak of evasion, eh. I think I have some problems in this area here. I have had the following situations:

- I often have to fight against a Sonic who Thok in one direction, then another. I'm Knuckles, I can not do thok. What should I do ? Put a grenade on the floor ?

- I often also shoot a guy with a shield with weapons other than rail.
They have the reflex to pull something on me right after be affected!
What should I do ? I must move with D and A to dodge ?

If it thoks, chances are you'll be caught in his loophole of "Thok away, then thok into the enemy and shoot"
If he does that, predict when he'll thok back at you to make him eat Bomb dirt. Or even better, you can rail him when he thoks away.

If he had a shield when you shot him, glide erratically away from him until he's lost his invincibility. Again, weapons that knock people away are better as they give you enough time to run away.

Predict where it goes ... hmm ...
It seems Interesting.
I think I have an idea for this thok.
But for the rail ... I have a little trouble. I must return to face him, and when he thoks until me, he sends me a string of rings. And if I aim with Rail, I can not move ... I can't aim and move.

For the shield ... I think I'll send some missiles and shift right/left after. It seems to work.

Yeah, a good idea is to predict where they're going and shoot at that area or shoot at the area they're already going towards. This could also be helpful for long distance shots. Probably the best weapons to use for that would be bomb and scatter.

Aiming while moving is important though, and is extremely useful when mastered. Aiming while moving is what makes using the mouse that much more useful. Doing it with keyboard is REALLY difficult.

It's good to hear that you're improving, keep it up!

Yes, but it's still really medium. I train only on servers where there are experienced players. For me, "train" means to fight people stronger than myself. Generally, players of my level are not challenges like the ones I want.

... brief. I started a bit to use the 3 characters.
Now, I will wish a little that you analyze my game and tell me what does not good. And for that I thought make a video where I play multiplayer against people strong. I can show it to you?

When do you usually play, IE? I've looked on the MS at occasion, but never seen you there.

I was here between 23:00 and 6:30 (Tuesday 19th Night).
But it's strange, I am often in multiplayer mode to train (and death).

In this game part, I saw some funny things.
There is a Tails happens to me and dodge in flying, an launch to me a explosive ring.
I tried it and ... there is a squall which carried away. I don't know how to control Tails in the air.
Over a dozen shots Rail during this flight, none successful.

I do not know why I'm bad ! I do not know what's wrong with me!
Maybe you will find this problem in the video ...

That may be because I am in line right after firing a missile. But if I do that, it's because I can't me shifting ! Especially with a Rail ! Impossible to aim !

I made it quickly.
How do you think I can hit someone
- without shield
- with 5-10 rings
- Almost without arms ...

Video...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k5iqys

You might just need practice.
Hard to believe it coming from me (for some people on the business end of my aggression anyway) but I find it hard to aim in lag. Just practice. (Like what I haven't been doing, I blame Halo Reach)

Don't ask me for Sonic tips. His playstyle is the opposite of my own.

For Tails, to fly faster - it's important to remember strafeflying. What is this, you might ask.

Basically, look about 45 degrees (half a turn to the left/right) of where you're going, then use the arrow keys to go there diagonally - and do this after running - then jumping into flight. It can be tricky to control, but if you do it right, you can even turn quickly! A good vantage point for bombs, and rails with a steady hand.

For Knuckles you should remember the increased shot rate, and remember that climbing can leave you vulnerable. Bounce rings in corridors, with grenade and scatter can be useful. And if you use OpenGL (and you should) aim right up at a ceiling and shoot bounce rings. With enough of them well placed, you could slow opponents down a lot, especially when combined with normally fired ones.

I personally don't use OpenGL on multiplayer that often. The major flaw with it is the "Paper Mario" look that all of the 2D sprites have on it. Also, OpenGL still has the occasional visual glitches in SRB2. The reason why the Paper Mario look is so distracting is because it makes it REALLY difficult to see directly below and above you. There could be a Tails player throwing bombs at you and you would try to look up and barely see him (and the weapons themselves at that matter). Sure it corrects the vertical wall view and other limitations in software mode, but the flaws in that IMO outweigh software's flaws.

You can still use what you're comfortable with Internet Explorer, but if you do use OpenGL, I would just recommend trying out software for a bit.

Other than that, Kopper has some good advice. (Especially the strafe-flying with Tails.)

I made it quickly.
How do you think I can hit someone
- without shield
- with 5-10 rings
- Almost without arms ...

If you're not going that fast and you have a player nearby do exactly this:

-Quickly visualize the player (Don't aim straight at it, just have it inside your range of view)
-Quickly press any direction and jump high.
-While you're in air, quickly aim at the player.
-Shoot all the rings you consider necesary until you hit it.

This is the easiest way to hit someone, as making a moving jump disables the enemy's ability to hit you trough auto aim, also, when you're jumping, aiming at the player becomes easier.

Basically, look about 45 degrees (half a turn to the left/right) of where you're going, then use the arrow keys to go there diagonally - and do this after running - then jumping into flight. It can be tricky to control, but if you do it right, you can even turn quickly! A good vantage point for bombs, and rails with a steady hand.
I don't too understand. You speak about "How I must play when I fly with Tails in the air" ?
Arrow keys ==> I've the left hand on WASD , and the right on the mouse...I don't use arrow keys.

For Knuckles you should remember the increased shot rate, and remember that climbing can leave you vulnerable. Bounce rings in corridors, with grenade and scatter can be useful. And if you use OpenGL (and you should) aim right up at a ceiling and shoot bounce rings. With enough of them well placed, you could slow opponents down a lot, especially when combined with normally fired ones.
OpenGL. I never use it. I will see if he help...
With Knuckles, if you see how I play when there are a ennemy...you will laught. Sonic who *thok-thok-thok* is really bad for me. I launch explosive or Throw in every way (I don't have time to aim, he thok too quickly !). So, in every way , and of course...he launch quietly a Rail. I'm hurt at the first rail shoot..
When Sonic "thok thok thok", I move. But not very well. I do the "acceleration" who Bbop said , like my rings... in every way. It's always me who lose a "thok thok party" [...]
I have little problems to aim. Especially with Rail. I use it only when I don't move OR when a ennemy is in my cross (like Sonic who thok in Meadow Match... in right line)
Aim and moving or jumping it's impossible to me. I use little combos like Jump + Explosive, or Jump + a lot of Throw rings...But when there is a ennemi just in front of me, jump and aim above with rail...He have the time to launch a explosive in the wall and hurt me.
I think it's because I don't know when I must use which items.

You can still use what you're comfortable with Internet Explorer, but if you do use OpenGL, I would just recommend trying out software for a bit.
You talk of weapons, if I've understand.
Generally, as I play rather with people stronger than me, I use weapons less dangerous (Grenade power) and try to have a shield as soon as possible. When I play in offensive mode with strong people, I balance their explosive leaping above. But of course, they manage to put their mouse to the sky to send me a rail or I do not know what.
If I'm sued and I'm out of grenades, I bombarde with Bounce, because I do not have to aim with this weapon. I leave the destiny to chance.
I have much more chance to hit with bounce than trying to chase with the explosive.
After, as Kooper said, "practice " ... it takes a big package...

EDIT : To answer at Sonnikku

Wow. It seems to work. But it will not be easy. Sonic Thok is extremely fast. Remember that I'm Knuckles ... I can not go so fast. Finally .... I'm going to train ...this three-four posts have helped me and motivated. I'll see if I'm better a little later.

Meh, I'd say your biggest problem is that you aren't yet able to gauge how far you need to shoot a ring in front of someone running in order to hit them. One thing I noticed in the video is that you were pointing directly at someone and then firing, and by the time the ring got there, they had blown by long ago. It takes a WHILE to get a hang of that, I only recently have myself. You're really not doing bad at all. Even if you couldn't get very many hits in, you seemed to be very decent at avoiding getting hit, which is almost as important. I know one important thing is reflexes. The moment I hear a ring be fired near me, or a pop from am explosion ring/box, I jump and get on my guard immediately, quickly checking the ground around me.

I'll be looking for you on the MS, I'm curious to play with you now. There's not a ton of people on the forum here that I see playing online much, besides Commander Hypersonic/Metal Fighter.

ah ..? Reflexes are good?
Good. I have some reflexes, ok. But I am still bad. If there are too many strong people ... you saw in the video what I do ? I go a horrible readable manner worthy of a noob. I must improve that...

Jump = A
spin = S
shoot = D
Forward = scroll button (mouse)
Backward = C
Strafe left = left mouse button
strafe right= right mouse button
next weapon = scroll up
previous weapon = scroll down
1 = Character change sonic
2 = Character change tails
3 = character change knuckles

Do not worry, I already have orders for multiplayer. WASD + mouse (for aiming and directing ==> to help turn.)

If I may, the commands you're saying doesn't like me. This type of control that I had never seen has looks far too complicated.
Move the character with the mouse? Finally ...
Oh, and uh ... you have also repeated the mouse wheel.

Forward = scroll button (mouse)
next weapon = scroll up

Not necessarily. You can perform one action by pressing the mouse wheel and another by scrolling it. I click on the mouse wheel to shoot normal rings, for example.

Press the wheel ... it gets really strange too. Keyboard + mouse suits me perfectly. Or also, the wheel can spend to the next item up / down.
And .. for normal rings, I use the spacebar. I find it easier. In all cases, launch a normal ring action is a little unusual. I will not use this often.

I guess I should give you a full Vs. Character guide.

Vs. Sonic: Beware when fighting the Blue Blur. With his speed and his Thok, he can confuse you and easily avoid your rings. Predict ahead of him. To successfully hit him, you gotta shoot where he'll be, and not where he is. If you don't like guessing, then a ring that covers a lot of ground will prove useful to you against him. Finally, keep your cool, because he can confuse the heck out of you, and you'll be at his mercy if you start getting hot.
Recommended weapons
: Auto Ring; Bomb Ring; Scatter Ring

Vs. Tails: While Tails is not a big deal on the ground, you gotta be careful when he starts throwing bombs at the ground while flying. It can also become problematic if you can't properly use Rails. However, Tails is a "sitting" duck when flying, which means he can easily be sniped. Scatters are also good since he doesn't have a chance to avoid them.
Recommended weapons: Rail Ring; Scatter Ring

Vs. Knuckles: Knuckles is no pushover, opposite to Tails. His glide is like Sonic's thok, except much slower. His glide is also very maneuverable, which can make him avoid quite a few shots if he zig-zags while gliding. However if he zig-zags, he's not very high above the ground, so a Bomb ring would take him out easily. When it comes to fighting against him, like Sonic, you gotta keep your cool. Thanks to his faster firing rate, he can create confusing havoc as you see rings getting thrown here and there. Again, keep the cool on your body and your eyes on him. After that it's all a matter of hit-or-miss.
Recommended weapons: Bomb Ring; Scatter Ring; Rail Ring

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back