Can we do a Thok barrier if the level is alerady made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyllian1212

inactive
All in the title.
Can we do a Thok barrier even if the level layout is alerady made?Its for a race level.

Last edited:
Well, have you tried just drawing a sector around the entire outside of the level? If you haven't, I'd give it a go...check the most obvious strategies first.

Yes i did,but when i try to put one,it mess up textures, and the thok barrier becomes the one sided sector,and my race path becomes double sided.

Think of it this way, you're actually drawing a protective ring around your course. Just drawing a square isn't enough because you need to make it so it doesn't think everything inside that square is its own sector. so when you draw your square, just before you close it, go back around the edge of the map and it should be fine.

Untitled-2.png

Then you can close that little gap you made on the bottom left without issue hopefully.

I hope i explained it well

Yes i did,but when i try to put one,it mess up textures, and the thok barrier becomes the one sided sector,and my race path becomes double sided.
Uh, I don't think that can be helped. Adding a thok barrier is automatically going to do that. You'll just have to modify your level accordingly once it's set up.

Adding a thok barrier (which can be done at any time) changes the used textures from midtextures to upper and lower textures, the textures on the upper and lower sides of where the floor and ceiling of that outer sector meet. For barriers that don't use F_SKY1 to simulate a sky, this comes in quite handy when you want to use more than just one texture on a wall. If all the wall textures were the same, you can just select the barrier, go into linedefs mode, and tag the front/back linedefs' upper and lower textures with that texture and that should sort it out quickly.

By nature, thok barriers change all the walls that Sonic can collide with into double-sided lines; this is inherently more stable. If a sector is thick enough (16 fracunits is enough), this makes it absolutely impossible for Sonic to pass through. If Sonic can break out of a level anywhere, he can also break into a level anywhere, trivializing the difficulty.

Actually, you need 32 for absolute assurance, as many people making little bars and thinking they block the player can attest.

Even 32 is flaky, especially if they're the north/south/west/eastmost walls. 32 is generally fine for stuff in the middle of the level, but along the map's contour can make it partially permeable (you go halfway inside and get somewhat stuck), especially if there are control sectors nearby. 64 is usually fine, but even that's not foolproof.

I always do 64, or as close to it as I can. In fact, I'm pretty dang obsessive about my thok barrier design. Open one of my maps and you'll see what I mean.

64 is usually fine, but even that's not foolproof.

64 is the standard I followed in SRB2. Theoretically, I think anything greater than 61 will work, but going as large as 60+24 (84), doesn't hurt.

It all depends on the player's RADIUS and the value of MAXMOVE. Keep in mind that MAXMOVE only applies individually on each X and Y axis, meaning if moving at a perfect diagonal to XY, you can achieve a speed of over 84.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back