Sonic CD's getting a port to XBLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting
Trailer!

And it looks like it's not just an emulation, like the Sega Genesis Sonic games, but apparently an entire engine recreation made by a guy named The Taxman, who tends to be REALLY good with Sonic engine programming. It's also using the Japanese soundtrack, if that's your bag. I'm fairly fond of it, although I'm really, really hoping they have both soundtracks. This is THE Metal Sonic theme for me.

Talk about how awesome Sonic CD is here, while we wait. And don't say it's not awesome, or I'll slap your lips off.

Maybe, maybe not. At least, as the trailer makes abundantly clear, we have proper widescreen support (I'm hoping that's horiz+, where you see more to the sides, and not vert-, where you see less to the top and bottom; it's fairly obvious which of these is desirable).

Also, you can use the Sonic 2-onward Spin Dash if you want.

Apparently, Sonic Retro confirmed you could choose both soundtracks. Later, they took it back and said that you will not be able to change soundtracks. For some reason, I think one of the soundtracks may be DLC. That might explain why "they" (Whoever at Sonic Retro) took it back.

So, wait, what happened between Sonic Gems Collection and this that they suddenly can't use the US music? I don't get it.

Also, Greg, in response to everything in that article:

OH WHAT
My bitter side says that it's because Dimps/Sonic Team/whoever is too stubborn to admit that their slightly modified Rush engine is inferior. My more logical side says that Sega just hates money. :V

Last edited:
So now one of my top favourite Sonic games is apparently a prequel to the worst attempt at a retro revival ever made.

Sega's backwards logic strikes again! And what's more? They have Taxman's Retro engine. And they refuse to use it for Episode 2. More excuses? Sega's employees have an unbreakable habit here. Oh well, they learn from the best.
Actually, the article states that Sonic CD is a sequel to Sonic 4: Episode 1. The game is a prequel to Sonic 4:Episode 2.

Actually, the article states that Sonic CD is a sequel to Sonic 4: Episode 1. The game is a prequel to Sonic 4:Episode 2.

Sonic 4 is trying to bridge all of them together more. It’s not trying to give Sonic CD a concrete place in the timeline, just say that “It happened prior to Sonic 4: Episode 1.” It does not mean Sonic CD is immediately before Sonic 4: Episode 1 and after Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

http://www.sonicretro.org/2011/08/c...th-ken-balough-on-sonic-cd-sonic-4/#more-4553

Other details listed too.

Sonic is chasing Eggman from the left of the screen to the right. In the Sonic CD trailer, there’s a signpost instead, and when he hits it, he takes a detour and does the story of Sonic CD. Once his CD adventure is over, his detour ends, and he goes onto Sonic 4: Episode 2, coming out sometime next year.
Wait… so Sonic 4: Episode 1 happens, Sonic CD, then Sonic 4: Episode 2? I guess this fits with the whole “after Sonic 3 and Knuckles” thing, but wouldn’t this technically make it a side-sequel to Sonic 4: Episode 1 then? Just hit me with the Hazama cameo. Blast you and your odd time travel logic, Sega!
Edit: Thought you grabbed something out of the original article. Just clicked on the article you linked and I guess they corrected themselves. ?_?
The trailers have nothing to do with the continuity of the games. They’re their own thing designed by Balough. The ‘detour’ talked about previously is Sonic going to the past so players can relive Sonic CD and understand its events and references in Sonic 4: Episode 2.
Much better.

Last edited:
Well, Balough to the rescue? I'm glad he disproved the whole Interquel status being between Episodes 1 and 2. That would have irritated me.

Sheesh, AGAIN? Well, at least it seems it will have Widescreen support (wich I don't have), but the Sonic 1 and 2 ports were horrible, even on a 4:3 TV, it still had the crappy background surrounding on the edges, thing I don't remember seeing on the Gamecube port of the games. However I don't see much point on buying a nearly 20 year old video game.

(If anyone would be so kind to explain the chronology of games, please I REALLY got lost here)

I've never bought a re-release of a Sonic game, but this one has several good reasons to do so:

*) Sonic CD PC port is old, and doesn't work so well on modern OSes without some hackery.
*) The Taxman created this, making it a true rewrite and not just the ROM packaged with an emulator.
*) Because of the above, a lot of nuances about the original game were probably fixed, such as slowing down holding right/left while running off a ledge (Sonic 2 exhibited this bug as well).
*) First time you can legally obtain a copy of Sonic CD with the Japanese/Euro soundtrack in the USA.
*) Cutscenes might be available in HD (I believe the original animation footage is on film??).

My only beef with it is that they didn't go a little bit further and have an artist 2x hires and highcolor all of the artwork, kinda like what I did with the Sonic Retro Sonic sprites (yes, that was me!). A filter seems lazy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back