• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic 3D Robo Blast; A working tittle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkz

Advanced FOFing Concepts
Greetings all,
I'm relatively new to the forum but I've been building zones for almost a year now, and I would like to share :D

Sonic 3D Robo Blast is my SRB2CB project. A 360 rendering of Sonic 3D Blast without all the boundaries that kept our hero on the map. The maps are to scale and expanded horizontally to 200% to accommodate the much faster pace of the SRB2 heroes. It's going to feature the ring portals via zoom tube, flooded planes and a battery of new paths, tunnels, and treasures.

imageview.php
JCMJm.png

I'm currently working on the more confined "Rusty Ruin". Though the zone itself is larger than "Green Grove" Its running surfaces don't feel as big. So I'm gathering opinions on weather or not to keep the scale at 200% or boost it up to 300%. I like them both. Hence, my dilemma.

Moderator Notice:
This topic is locked and the downloads have been in Editing for well over a year anyways. Links removed.

Forgive my current zoom tubes. Their a tad buggy right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since 3D Blast is MAH GAME, I'm looking forward to this.

And also, I will cry tears of joy when I see a screenshot of Rusty Ruin.

Rusty Ruin is the zone that giving me grief right now. the runways are a little too narrow. But on the plus side, it's gonna have some way cool slope sectors for the ring portal zoom tubes!

Ranvz.png

From the two pictures I can see, looks damn cool. When I get computer permissions back (which is gonna be, like, when the school year's marks come out) I'll give it a go.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

200% is definitely better. 300% is flatter and emptier, and has lots of graphical glitches.

200% is definitely better. 300% is flatter and emptier, and has lots of graphical glitches.

Agreed! Though I haven't experienced any graphics problems, 200% is far cozier.

BTW. I loved Tortured Planet. Stoked that you gave my zones a whirl! Your opinion is appreciated.

On a slightly related note, not sure if this is the right place for it but my DB2 doesn't seem to have thing Z positions or visual mode slopes. It could be my config. or I may not be fully updated. I'm not sure but a link or a point in the right direction would be fantastic!

You need a special Modded version of DB2.

I think it's called DB2CB, or something.

Anyway, are you using Saturn / PC version music in your levels?

Anyway, are you using Saturn / PC version music in your levels?

I'm heavy in the construction phase right now. I'm still not well educated on editing socs. As a musician who gets a kick out of playing Sonic tunes, my first instinct for the music was to go ahead and learn the pieces myself and add a personal jazz to the whole thing. However, this could prove to be very time consuming.

Here's SRB2DB 2.0's discussion thread; make sure to read all the instructions: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=36457
You'll find out that this'll help in the construction of slopes by a huge margin.

I've lost count on how many times I've read that thread word- for- word. Slopes, in general aren't my problem. It's all the pretty 3D editing interface I'm not getting i.e. slopes and FOFs. The issue seems to be with my DB community build exe. To the same extent, I can't run one the dependency files for it. It's frustrating but I'm trying super hard to fix it all.

Rusty Ruin Beta; Ready for Scrutiny!

Sparkz Here,
Getting a little more comfortable with SOCs and Rusty Ruin is not in such a crisis anymore!

mtcIl.png

67CiE.png

Robotnic's been busy.

Sq74i.png

Real busy!

Pn5uH.png

It would be wise to keep your hedgehog out of the goop. I filled it with a bunch of nasty stuff.

d79Qq.png

Giant swinging maces? There's an app for that!

Well take a look for yourselves and let me know if you like were my gimmicks are going. Suggestions are always welcome!

Be careful of the zoom tubes! There way buggy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z6dlm6x123cq3l0

Last edited:
First Sonc 3D Robo Blast Community Build Level Pack!

Greetings all! Here's the first level pack for S3DRBCB! GGI is close being complete and the pack has a beta version of GGII and the whole thing is topped with a boss fight in the 3D Blast Green Grove arena. More details have been added to RRI. Let me know if this lags the system:P AAAND, a sneak peak at what I'm planing for Spring Stadium, featuring sloped FOF loops! (There is no exit sector here yet.) And I'm already working on better textures!

CBnnF.png

Green Grove Boss fight!

q8aug.png

Go get em' Sonic!

4XsTC.png

I'm having a blast building this zone... and a headache.

n0rIP.png

DOWNLOAD IT ALREADY ;D
http://www.mediafire.com/?9t4cii3zoyko8im

This looks fun, I wanna play this. I loved playing this game for my Sega Genesis.
Slopes? When did this happen? Did I miss something? o.o

Spring Stadium on Hiatus :(

Though there aren't many floating platforms in the original Sonic 3D Blast, S3DRBCB is filled with a wide variety of FOFs.

In a tight and small area of Spring Stadium I felt I could get away with building probably the most complex structure in the entire game. (and I don't mean to brag but probably the most complex FOF arrangement in the SRB2 community;)

UF0wr.png

I have the sectors drawn and about 16 of the FOFs already in place. I estimate it's going to take probably 8 to 9 dozen FOFs, many of them sloped to complete. I was disappointed but not completely surprised to find that this structure, barely started tears the frame rate to pieces. On top of all the retracting floor spikes (that I finally got working) and spring sector specials that litter Spring Stadium, I can barely test this map without performing a hasty escape before the game crashes. (About 2- 3 minutes.) I'll be remeoving it from the next level package as I try to find ways to make it easier on the game.

On the plus side, I'll be starting Volcano Valley and that promises to be a whole lot of fun!!!

Why not just make a 3D model instead?

Anyway, I tried out your last demo, and I'm really impressed with how much having a perspective camera actually helps the stages. I can't wait to see what you're gonna do with this once you have the stage terrain built

Why not just make a 3D model instead?

That sounds like a fantastic idea! Any suggestions on which program would make a good loopy thingy? I'm looking at Milkshape. The interface feels similar to the doom builders.

Would it work on the spikes?

It's been brought to my attention that all my slopes can lag the system. The retracting floor spikes are made of slopes. So essentially they don't actually pop out of the ground. their drawn on the ground with four linedef 386s, creating four triangles met at the center. They remain on floor level until the linedef executor is triggered, in which case they are told to simply raise the floors, slopping at the base they create spikes. Coming around some of the bends all the triangles drawn can lag the frame rate but its not too bad. It's total hell on the frame rate when the linedef is executed and the spikes rise up. The whole thing looks OK so far but I haven't filled all my spike pits yet:/

Before entering the spike pit the floors are flat. The floors to raise are tagged with the spike attribute!
ND7D6.png

When linedef is triggered the floors rise delivering there damage before quickly receding back onto the floor.
mixWZ.png

This would be the fourth technique I've used to get these spikes to behave the way I want and honestly it's the closest I've gotten. I'm still looking for a better way. If anybody has any suggestions, please share.

Also, for some reason the spikes rise while your trying to jump over the pits despite having the triggers set to floor touch, which is what I want. Any ideas?

. I can't wait to see what you're gonna do with this once you have the stage terrain built

Are talking about Volcano Valley? Cause' it's gonna be epic!

Last edited:
What is making a 3d model of the pipe gonna do? Also, I think you should take a look at misfit model 3d first since it is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back