Official Level Design Contest Voting: September/October

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess i'm gonna rate the maps then....

Egyptian mayhem -this level was sorta alrightwith a good ring count to keep the game going with 2-3 people, but it was a bit bland and the cave inside was lighter than the outside, which was weird - 6/10

Egyptian twilight -just plain bad, no rings + small map = 0/10

Elemental ruins -pretty decent, a bit samey in each area, but a good ring count with sheilds and special rings keeps things interesting 6/10

Greenery hills 3 -this level is... great! very spacey and a balanced set of rings so the level is'nt to one sided and a few platforms to jump on. The powerup rings are put just in the right places. 8/10

Green springs - to repitive and to many powerup monitors, and its strange that under a bridge its lighter than your not under the bridge. 5/10

Irritating area -as the name suggests, this level is... irritating, although not in all areas. it was well varied in design, but has 1 or 2 missing textures and that part with the bobbing platform and lava got me a few times! 7/10

Pillar panic -not a very thoughtful design, there was a green light following me around in some areas and there was missing textures on some of the pillars. 4/10

The maze -this level is just wrong, just like cy-chan said "mazes + srb2 = awful" 0/10

The shining river - too many special rings, to many ring monitors and hardely any normal rings, and adding the fact that there is no thok barrier, this level is one of the worst i've seen, like the maze. oh, and it may just be my computers hatred of open gl, but the framerate sucked, and this is coming from a kid who uses a P4 processor. 0/10

Volixean ruins -the lava does'nt even hurt, its just coloured water with a lava texture on it and it was hardely convincing, being transparent,there is hardely any rings, just boxes and springs. 1/10

VR2 -again, to many box's, not enough rings, it was boring and repetitive.1/10

The awsumest level - WTF!who knows what was going through digis head. i guess it was kinda fun, and i like that fake floor that is a death pit ^_^ 5/10

--------------------
Molten caves - can't rate my own map, but if i could, it would be a low score.
--------------------

I guess its time for me to try making match levels ^_^

Yes, I know the fire block doesn't hurt you. I did that on purpose to make it a place of ambush. If you're inside the fire, you can see out, but people outside can't see in. I know that it's sorta weird, but I made this level a long time ago, so..

oh, well i only ran through each map once and i could'nt exactly test each map fully in a netgame since the servers down *AGAIN*
also for that idea, i guess its quite good, but you could try using opaque water blocks for it instead of transparent.

Well, even though I cant access the master server from where I am at, I managed to find someone who would play against me. So here's my judging.

Single Player
Molten Caves Zone - ree-c
Score: 4/10
I thought this zone was okay, but it could've used a little more work. The platforms were small to step on and the halls were narrow. The thok barrier missing also didn't help.

The Maze - RoboAshura
Score: 1/10
This level was way too cramped. I often found myself getting stuck on the walls as I tried to move. I have only beaten this map once, and that was by looking at Wadauthor just to see the route to take. This map is hard and just doesn't work well in cramped corridors.

Match Maps
Egyptian Mayhem Zone - Tailsonic
Score: 7/10
This map has a nice feel to it. I have one thing that felt wrong with it though. The map kind of felt bare as I went back into the cave with the water. Sure you had rings in the water, but the land areas were barren with not much in them. The pyrimid was a nice touch though, but I'm not sure if the speed shoes were all that worth it.

Egyptian Twilight - mikel93
Score: 0/10
The quicksand that is a deathpit is not a good idea, nor is not having a regular ring lying on the course. This is map and just doesn't work out well at all. Needs loads of work.

Elemental Ruins Zone - JJames19119
Score: 8/10
I like how you made a different sections and attributed a single shield to each one. However, the magnetic (attraction?) shield really does some damage this course. Sonic characters can thok around and grab all the rings on the course if they know what they are doing, making it harder for other people to grab rings, if you know what I mean. I did like how you put the only rail on top of one of the monuments, so they can pick off kills on people randomly walking by.

Greenery Hills Zone 3 - JJames19119
Score: 6/10
The map looks good, but I see that the rings are spaced a little too far apart in some areas. Your pillar area seemed really pointless to go towards as there wasn't much reason for me to grab what was over there. It does look good, though.

Green Springs - Cyan
Score: 7/10
Though this map was pretty much the exact same thing in every room, it didn't make it too hard to find out where someone else is. The transition from land to water was really tough to notice at first, but I eventually got the hang of it. This one was pretty good.

Irritating Area Zone - Trigahd
Score: -/10
This was my second attempt at making a match level. I had built this one thinking that if I ever put it out into these contests, it would do much worse than my other attempt. Looks like I was wrong. Oh, and for all the people who mentioned the word irritating in their reviews, thanks.

Pillar Panic Zone - Trigahd
Score: -/10
This is the first match map I ever made, so I know there was going to be problems. However, when people started mentioning missing textures and OpenGL, I knew I had done something wrong. I did test my maps for stuff like that, but I guess I forgot OpenGL mode. I'll make sure to test my maps in OpenGL next time for no problems.

The Shining River Zone - mikel93
Score: 0/10
This map is WAY overpowered. All the items rings in one level is bad enough, but mutiple amounts of them in one place? Geez man, that's overkill right there. Also, if this is supposed to be a river, why are there two ponds and no river? And why isn't it shining? This map is dark like crazy. The only thing I might have enjoyed about this map was finding your sector dedicated to your two ponds and thokking all around within it. Oh yeah, missing thok barrier too.

Volixean Ruins 1 - shadowstar
Score: 6/10
This level looked pretty good, but visuality isn't all that makes a map good. Since most of the rings were within item boxes, that kind of hurts your map right there. Also, the fact that there are two rails up on top of the trees only helps the person who gets there first. I will say the fire columns were good though.

VR 2 - shadowstar
Volixean Ruins 2 was lacking from what I could see. The course was much smaller and there weren't a whole lot of rings within the level. This was basically the first iteration dumbed down a bit.

The Awsumest Level Zone - Digiku
Right when I saw the name of this level, I knew it had to be some stupid joke, and that's exactly what this level was. A joke pure and simple. I also died laughing when I started to run around to see what this level had in it. Nice randomness, Digiku.

Those are my reviews. If some of them seem wrong, I must have gotten some of them mixed up or something.

Since Mystic is really lazy and refuses to end the voting despite the fact that it should've ended a long time ago, I'm just going to post the scores here. (I hope I'm not breaking rules. o_o)

MAP01 - Egyptian Mayhem Zone - Tailsonic = 7+6+6+6+7= 6.4
MAP02 - Egyptian Twilight - mikel93 = 1+0+0+1+0+0+0= 0.2
MAP03 - Elemental Ruins Zone - JJames19119 = 7+5+7+6+8= 6.6
MAP04 - Greenery Hills Zone 3 - JJames19119 = 5+5+5+8+6= 5.8
MAP05 - Green Springs - Cyan = 6+5+6+5+6= 5.6
MAP06 - Irritating Area Zone - Trigahd = 7+6+5+7+7= 6.4
MAP07 - Pillar Panic Zone - Trigahd = 5+5+5+7+4= 5.2
MAP09 - The Shining River Zone - mikel93 = 0+0+0+0+0+0+0= 0
MAP10 - Volixean Ruins 1 - shadowstar = 4+3+5+6+6= 4.8
MAP11 - VR 2 - shadowstar = 3+5+4+4+4= 4
MAP12 - The Awsumest Level Zone - Digiku = 2+4+6+5+4= 4.2

w00t

Actually I thought either Egyptian Mayhem or Irritating Area Zone won, I was just being impatient and tallied the scores myself while I was posting. :P

even though he got straight 0's i just realized that Mikel93 actually released shining river BEFORE the contest, therefor should of been disqualifyed.
...oh well, he still got last :P

JJames has it exactly right, so there isn't much to say. All and all, this contest was truly pathetic, not to be funny. When Digi's joke map isn't the worst in the pack, something is seriously wrong.

Congratulations, JJames. At least your map was playable and fun X_X

I haven't even played them all. Last time I played it was in FuriousFox's public netgame, and last map for me was Irritating Area Zone.

Man, I should have been in this contest. I would have owned all of your asses. :mrgreen:

Mystic said:
JJames has it exactly right, so there isn't much to say. All and all, this contest was truly pathetic, not to be funny. When Digi's joke map isn't the worst in the pack, something is seriously wrong.

Congratulations, JJames. At least your map was playable and fun X_X

Thanks. :P Second contest in a row I've won really, though a third is unlikely.

*sigh* ... I never won a contest and I doubt I ever will (mostly for the fact that I long ago gave up on them)...

Jason's Base/JTE's Pad was the peak of my contest entrys, I spent the entire month working hard on it and was in fact still placing the rings and stuff minutes before the deadline, even though I had worked on it all month. I didn't even have time to fix most of the bugs with it (not that I knew how, being that this was my first map with actual full FOFs in it and all)...

And then, having completely mastered all things in normal maps, I became gimmic-obsessed, and it peaked off with Illustrion Zone, one of the most controversial maps of all time. I believe it scored in the range of 2 to 10. It was large and had two sections, above ground and below ground, and the lower section was constantly flooded by this water which shot you hiiigh into the air, right through the roof.

Skilled folk could use this flow to craftily evade attacks, yet it also forced you to shoot people out of the air most of the time. The ones who were even more skilled could see that at the very bottom there were several armageddon shields, though they are always covered by at least a thin layer of water, and the only way to get to it would be to dive from the very top and land on the box while the tide was low, which was rather hard to time but the rewards were very much worth it, as the armageddon shield was definately the only way to always score a hit.

The next map I made was something of a joke, I had promised to make something even smaller and more frantic and controversial, and I did exactly that. I had a tiny map with two floors like Illustrion, except the higher floor was full of rocks and the lower floor was full of a few rings and two secret passages. There weren't enough rings in it to have a good fight, though, even though the forced close range would've made it interesting. Oh well. I didn't really spend any time on it anyway, it was just a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back