SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Help

Old 04-11-2013   #1
rjsec4ever
The Reason Angels Die

Default [2.0.6] Gamedata Help

After 3 long years away from here, I'm back... however asking for a bit of help. It's about the DAT file...

I had a complete current-version game data file. I figured I wanted to start anew, so I copied the old file and deleted the original, figuring that it would remove all my statistics. Wrong! Still had the emblems, time records, AND play time in-tact!

...but after quitting, I find no gamedata.dat file. :/ Restarted the game, stats are still there. o.O

Is there anything in any random (hidden) folders I might need to look into? User's AppData? ProgramData? Or how about the registry?

Note that I'm running a Windows 8 machine. Thanks.
rjsec4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #2
TSDude
Lack of tea

I not sure if a windows 8 machine would affect this but have you tried deleting your statistics and other data while in the game, there is a option for that.
Old 04-11-2013   #3
kyllian1212
inactive

^ Yeah that. I guess you need to delete the stats directly from the game. (Or if you have replays you could delete the folder that stores 'em)
Old 04-11-2013   #4
MarioMaster12
Delete my account pls

I actually have the exact opposite problem in the PSP Port. Won't allow the game to load Gamedata.dat and somehow stores the memory in the Eboot. (As far as I can tell)

EDIT: PSP stores the save data in folder .srb2 and somehow I didn't notice.

Last edited by MarioMaster12; 04-12-2013 at 07:42 PM.
MarioMaster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #5
rjsec4ever
The Reason Angels Die

AHA! Windows 8 is being an arse.

It stores any new file to C:\Users\(name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SRB2

VirtualStore? Guys! SRB2 needs to be run under Administrator now! xD
Old 04-13-2013   #6
TSDude
Lack of tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsec4ever View Post
AHA! Windows 8 is being an arse.
It stores any new file to C:\Users\(name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SRB2
I think some people who have windows 7 experience this as well, did you install srb2 in this area "C:\Users\(name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files (x86)\SRB2" cause if you did then you've just solved your problem.
Note: I'm just saying this for the sake of it.
Old 04-13-2013   #7
rjsec4ever
The Reason Angels Die

VirtualStore is a folder where files written by programs installed via any other format besides executables, like compressed files, and are installed in a system-protected folder, like Program Files or Windows. The OS makes those folders write-protected. Microsoft implemented the VirtualStore feature in the Windows 7 era (Vista too, if I recall correctly).

Since I'm a Windows 8 user, if I manage files for a program mentioned that is similar, like an emulator (plugins, configs, etc.) and move them to its folder via Explorer, I need to elevate my privileges just so that I can write the files. When a program does it, whatever files it has written will get stored in VirtualStore. You can still run the program without administrative rights though.

Someone do the following for testing:
Copy and paste your GameData, Config, etc. somewhere and remove the originals, similar to a new install.
Run the game as Administrator. See where the game writes the files.

In Windows 8, you cannot completely disable User Account Control. Sure, the annoying pop-ups are gone, but it is still enabled. If you truly disable it, ALL the Metro-style applications will cease to run, due to the security environment. What I have done was edit the Local Security Policy, so that UAC doesn't move the newly written files to VirtualStore.
  • As Administrator, open up Local Security Policy in the Administrative Tools folder, or open a Run prompt and type in secpol.msc.
  • In the tree to the left, go to Local Policies -> Security Options.
  • In the right pane, scroll to the very end. Disable the option: User Account Control: Virtualize file and registry write failures to per-user locations.
Didn't do this to me on Windows 7, that's for sure...
Old 04-13-2013   #8
TSDude
Lack of tea

Oh I misunderstood the post before, I thought you might have installed it in a different folder. (BTW I haven't used Windows 8 so I not so sure how it runs I'm only used to previous windows machines). I thought srb2 wouldn't work on windows 8 especially in multiplayer when you might need a mouse to aim (unless you got a usb one).
Does windows 8 work with a lot of games?
Old 04-13-2013   #9
rjsec4ever
The Reason Angels Die

It works with just about every game installed in Windows 7, with the exception of Sims 2.