Wow... The Sonic Movie Trailer is Finally Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, archie. It'd be nice if it was just kept to Sonic, Tails, Knux, and eggman. I'm still interested though.

Right, I remember this guy (Richard Kuta) from Sonic HQ. He's a loon, to be blunt. I recall stories of him pitching this movie to Sega, them saying "Cool! Now how are you going to finance it?", and it all falling apart (because he has no idea how movies are actually made). Not to mention his insistence that the movie has to be based on SatAM (because a fifteen-years-dead cartoon that most people who've played the games aren't even aware of is the ideal source material to use)...

Personally, I kind of hope it fails. I'm not even going to dignify it with me watching the trailer.

Shadow Hog, I thought you were being unreasonably mean here, but then I happened to stumble acrossed an Encyclopia Dramatica page dedicated to this guy. If even 10% of what's written there has any grain of truth, I really wish his project would fail too, on personal merit.

NOTE: The below is so not worksafe, R-rated, and disturbing on a spiritual level. Enter at your own risk, people.
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Sonmanic

<shoots self in the face>

GOD DAMN IT. The ONE TIME I believe a con, and it HAS to be for a Sonic movie.

Damn you Sonmaniac. Damn you to Hell...

Still... I have been frustrated with this, and Sonic Stadium slamming him down because of who he is. He always and still has the intetnion of doing a Sonic movie. He never lied. The trailer is proof enough that he is trying to get his project off of the ground. You are really going to let a tidbit of his past develop a grudge against him? Yes, he himself has openly put out that the diaper images are , in fact, real but who cares? As everyone fesses up we all did stupid crap when we were young. Who cares? All I know is that some people here are not willing to forgive and let go of some past grudges. He is good in his intentions and I really wish people would see that. Yes, he can be overeccentric and crap like that, and that may seem unprofessional and bring up memories of Matt Sullivan and his SatAM Revival project, but from what I am hearing, a favorite professional cartoonist of the community (SSNTails being a large supporter of his from what I see) is an arrogant douche. Doug TenNappel from what I hear? The same man that brought us the fantastic Earthworm Jim? Don't eat into that ED crap. Those are the same people who made a page for Jhonen Vasquez and said that fat people aren't even people at all. If anything, dismiss the page. The past is the past. Let's get over it. That Robotnik design was a reference and was going out as fan service and whatnot. I mean, I talk to him all the time on Skype. Great guy. Hard childhood though. Did you know that his father grounded him for watching SatAM because he was a teenager at the time? Or that he was the typical nerd at school who was bullied and never liked? Talking to a person reveals a whole lot about them instead of pointing fingers at who is doing the Sonic movie and saying he's a terrible person.

I going to ask if you could td;lr or whatever it's called that post, but within a few sentences I was uninterested.
I didn't read the whole thing, and I don't intend to, but nobody has to like him. I don't see why you're defending him so much, too.

Basically, old news is old and stop beating a dead horse. Why hold a grudge and point fingers at a person you really don't know? Especially if you look at how the user has been very dedicated to this project.

I'm personally not defending him, but I see no point to badgering him, either. Let **** die.

Me supporting someone? Who? Doug TenNapel? If so, then right you are. If anybody else in your message, then no.

This project will never get anywhere. He has no clue what he's getting into. Let's see a script and a fully complete storyboard with animatic and then I'll pay attention. Even that takes a ton of work involving lots of people. If he wants to hire animators, he is totally delusional of what kind of cost that involves. You're looking at LEAST half a million dollars for a handful of artists.

Me supporting someone? Who? Doug TenNapel? If so, then right you are. If anybody else in your message, then no.

This project will never get anywhere. He has no clue what he's getting into. Let's see a script and a fully complete storyboard with animatic and then I'll pay attention. Even that takes a ton of work involving lots of people. If he wants to hire animators, he is totally delusional of what kind of cost that involves. You're looking at LEAST half a million dollars for a handful of artists.

Well, well. Good day, SSN. I do hope life has treated you well.

Oh no. He's very,much aware of the issue, as he has a program going for donations to lend to the cause. He has calculated an estimate of $900,000 dollars that are needed to produce this film. And as he has told me himself, everything is done. Script, storyboards, the whole dang thing. All we need to make the movie happen is the animation and with that in mind, he needs money. Yes, he is aware of the economy, and yes, he does know that Flash might end up being an alternative (yeah, that trailer wasn't Flash, the animator of the trailer, Adny elaborated on the Sat. Morning Sonic forums) though he really doesn't want to go with Flash.

And as for protecting him. When did I even say you had to like him? All I say is that the ED crap needs to die, because the past is the past. As PDF stated old crap needs to die. We are human. We all are different, but we are still the same. We need to learn to forgive others for their mistakes and move on.

I admire this guy's dogged determination, though I'd be inclined to say that he has no real idea of what he's getting into, for all the reasons SSN Tails outlined.

And who, praytell, would lay down $900,000 for an amateur-made movie based off a mediocre cartoon that's all but forgotten? Especially considering that said movie will never, in all likelihood, be released to comercial theaters due to copyright infringement and potential lawsuits and never have a chance to make even the slightest return on the initial investment?

If Kuta merely manages to sweet-talk SEGA and Archie into letting him use their characters (and he won't), I'll gladly revoke all the negative things I've said about him thus far and in the future and will consider him to be greatest prodigy of the 21st Century.

I hate to say it but his own tarnished reputation isn't even going to get him much beyond a penny. Seeing how people reacted HERE, and on Sonic Stadium, he sadly doesn't have a chance in hell.

And what does he do with the proceeds if it doesn't work? Or if he doesn't get his goal? Sit on it?

Well crap, now I've gone cynic, too. :?

Welcome to the club, Project Dark Fox.

I really think this guy needs to move on with life. Or at least settle with learning Flash and animating a twenty minute version.

Oh no. He's very,much aware of the issue, as he has a program going for donations to lend to the cause. He has calculated an estimate of $900,000 dollars that are needed to produce this film. And as he has told me himself, everything is done. Script, storyboards, the whole dang thing. All we need to make the movie happen is the animation and with that in mind, he needs money.

I used to run one of the most popular Sonic websites back in the day. I tried raising money to fund a better Internet connection for the server. I was only able to raise ~$200 or so. Fart in a windstorm.

If he has the script, storyboards, etc. all done, why doesn't he release them? I guess I could understand him wanting to keep the story a surprise so it isn't ruined for anybody who watches it, but he's also limiting himself in recruiting volunteers and proving that he really has something of substance that is worth donating towards. Would you want to give $900,000 to someone who made a short teaser video? If that's the case, then I'll make short teaser videos, put them up on the Internet, net a ton of cash, and then just walk away. Sounds just like a startup scamming venture capitalists! (See Infineon's Phantom)

What if the actors/animators quit the cast in the middle of the movie? Does all his money go down the drain?

I doubt he'll raise enough money. And it would be a bad choice to spend it on fan-movie. Why not get a wife and kids and save money?

...Or better yet, a brand-spanking-new Mercedes Benz, a 60" plasma screen T.V., and a dozen pairs of Converses? $900,000 isn't all that much money nowadays, but it sure ain't shabby, either.

...Or better yet, a brand-spanking-new Mercedes Benz, a 60" plasma screen T.V., and a dozen pairs of Converses? $900,000 isn't all that much money nowadays, but it sure ain't shabby, either.

Please. I am an Oklahoman. I've never seen much money in my life, except at tax rebate time when our family gets a good one to two thousand. How can you say money's not worth much anymore?

And I suppose that you're right, SSN. After all, if you ever got to hear the parts he read to me, you'd be wondering why SEGA didn't get this movie made. It's full of such an integrity that if the public were to read it, I am sure they would try their best to donate. I would, at least. And while I go on on this subject, he has some storyboards lying around the Saturday Morning Sonic forums. Once I find them again, I'll get them out to you.

IIRC, AJ, he HAS released the script (at least, ED insists he has). I haven't read it, though. I want to say it sucks, but given my only source IS ED (and ED hates everything)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back