100,000th post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

As the 100,00th post approaches, this is a time to think about this community.

This arrival will soon mark a milestone in the SRB2 community. It shows that SRB2 has grown much over the years. We have more and more servers up, and fans coming in by the dozens. New members are coming in all the time. Daily, posts on top of posts are made. Topics are getting responses in record times. It really is a remarkable step.

Sadly, however, the 100,000th post mark comes with a price. And what a price. We've had the worst posts seen since the boards came up in the last year. We've had people breaking rules incessantly. We've had bumps, pointless posts, and Role-Playing/Chat servers by the dozens. People are being suspended day in and day out because they can't follow simple rules. It's truly sad that so many bad things have contributed to this mark.

So, what's so special about this 100,000th post? Besides the spam that inevitably follows, some people may genuinely appreciate this reach. And it is for those that I write this. Personally, I'd like to see the 100,00th post become a new beginning for these boards. A shining star in what has become a black night. I'd like to see users contribute their talents to SRB2. Not just make maps or characters to look cool. Not put minimal effort into their work just to release something. I'd like to see users work together, make things of quality. Even work together to make these things happen. Make an attempt to improve their post quality. Try to follow the rules.

Not only that, but I'd like to see users become genuinely helpful. Try to assist newbies, when they deserve it. Try to make an effort to help instruct those who don't understand. True, sometimes there are cases where a dressing-down is called for. But why ensure that every new person has to take it? Some people genuinely need help, and it is for these people who may have something to contribute that we must work for. I'd like to see an effort from oldbies and newbies alike to make this community what it once was.

Many can agree that the SRB2 boards have gone way down in the last year. But following the above recommendations, we CAN fix this problem in the community. So let's take this opportunity for a turnaround. Let's make this community great again. There are so many ways we can all contribute to make these boards right again. So, let's make the 100,000th post something to be proud of, not a symbol of what was wrong with the community. And when we reach the 200,00th post, we can look back and be proud of the accomplishments and steps we all took to improve these boards.

Blargh, Dark Warrior, have you ever thought that people will quote this on the 1,000,000,000th post mark? That would be one murderously long quote.

Agreed DW but you know, there will always be stupid afoot and they'll always inhabit this forum. The problem is picking them apart from the real people, which the admins have been trying to do. (I'd hate to look at this MB's massive ban list...) That should be first priority I feel.

As I said in #srb2fun, there won't be a set person who will carry the 100,000 post on their shoulders for the rest of eternity. Moderators and Admins are constantly deleting posts, so the 100,000th poster could very well change daily.

It's not about WHO makes the post, Spazzo. It's about what the boards have gone through, and what needs to be, and SHOULD be done.

That is also true, but is somewhat irrelavant to the true factor of the 100k mark. I believe i've already made some imput on that topic a while back with Furiousfox.

EDIT: Isolation FTW.

And when we reach the 200,00th post, we can look back and be proud of the accomplishments and steps we all took to improve these boards.
Are you suggesting that we actually will reach 200k? I still haven't gotten over 100k.

Topic temporarily locked. This was supposed to be a serious topic.

EDIT: Topic reopened. Useless posts have been removed. Don't screw it up this time.

Thank you, FF. Anyways, what happened in this topic was a clear example of what went wrong with the community. Simple steps can easily be made to avoid these kinds of things from happening.

We have reached an amazing milestone as stated before.
I think if the forums are still around (Hopefully they are) we may make it to 200,000 posts, it's very possible. When this happens I'm sure we will able to say that we "survived" the apocalyptic time surrounding the 100,000th post.
Hopefully, by the time of the the 200,000th post happens we will have smarter users, better wads, and less recolors, remember I say "Hopefully".

[useless] New word I used in this post "apocalyptic" [/useless]

metalsonic5555 said:
Hopefully, by the time of the the 200,000th post happens we will have smarter users, better wads, and less recolors, remember I say "Hopefully".

Sadly, I kinda doubt that. The admins are already over working on the forums as it is, and there kinda getting... nothing.

Actually, about 90% of the work that's been done in the past 2 weeks has been just me. So, it's really not everyone that's overworking, just me. I'm trying to compensate for what the others aren't doing.

FuriousFox said:
Actually, about 90% of the work that's been done in the past 2 weeks has been just me. So, it's really not everyone that's overworking, just me. I'm trying to compensate for what the others aren't doing.

So much for more mods? Or is it an administrator's job you're trying to do for everyone else?

Hmm, you know, I should probably pick up my pace in here - some of you may have noticed my sudden spurt of inactivity. It seems as though the board is going through some dark times. A year ago, I remember when the boards were much more peaceful. If we can somehow all pitch in, then hopefully this board will rise up again.

I will do my Part. You've already seen my Two Wads in Progress, which are taking bits and Parts from the Community and putting them to Action.

Anyways, I have been recieving utter Bull Crap in PM's recently, and I'd report the users, but there's the thing.

It's Utter Bull Crap that Mods and Admins shouldn't need to deal with.

FoxBlitzz said:
Hmm, you know, I should probably pick up my pace in here - some of you may have noticed my sudden spurt of inactivity. It seems as though the board is going through some dark times. A year ago, I remember when the boards were much more peaceful. If we can somehow all pitch in, then hopefully this board will rise up again.
Oh, yes I was here a year ago, good times. The days before *Pulls out a list of banned users and reads it* and Tails(insert number) especially but lets not mention anything about him anymore that episode has come to an end.
We will all need to do our part as stated above. I will be willing to do anything to get the boards back to their former glory.
I believe if the good users work together we will be able the bring these forums back from the abyss.

Looks like it's happened...

On note with the real purpose of this topic, it is really going down hill around here...
If only we could do something about proxies to avoid bans, that would sort out the nooblets that avoid them and kill off 30% of our troubles...

I think there's a hack to get through a proxy around the internets somewhere

Edit: I'm pleased to announce that the 100000 post goes to...

Darkwarrior!

By taking 73 from the id of the latest post at this point and then coming out with 110554...

Put that in a post url at you get...

It's true - this place was worlds better a year ago.
If we had 4 suspended users in a month alone, then it meaned that something was wrong. But today, it's common to see 10 or even more suspended users in a month alone. This is sad.
It's like some people don't want to listen and want to always act like their head says to them. Huh, some people, don't even have an "head", let alone a brain, this is demonstrated by a certain T11.
I hope this place to get better, but it will be hard work, the forum is much bigger nowadays, and by consequence, harder to control and moderate.
The actual user base of this forum is almost four times than the one of a year and half ago (when I joined).
But, honestly, these boards have not yet approached the "apocalyptic" state. There are some forums on internet that are far worse, and that are always infestated by a running internal flamewar ( = flamewar between the admins and the mods).
At least, there aren't internal flamewars here.
I hope a good future to this community, and do whatever you think is good for having it. :)
Even if the quality of the forums has step down because of some people, we're not in the no-return state. We can still "rescue" these boards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back