We're curious. (SRB2 Multiplayer Survey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cue

ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S
Posted by Jazz on 11-17-2010 06:10 PM.

Since the Master Server went up recently, we got thinking about some stuff we were curious about. Below is a link to a survey containing ten questions concerning SRB2′s online multiplayer modes. You do not have to answer every single question, but it would be nice if you did. After about two weeks, the results will be posted publicly. Everyone taking this survey is anonymous.

Click here to take survey.

Thank you for your time.
More...

let me explain my answer to #10 real quick

Since you can turn mixup monitors off in the options, why disable the ability to have it in Race? If one doesn't want to play with the monitors, they can turn them off anyway!

Since you can turn mixup monitors off in the options, why disable the ability to have it in Race? If one doesn't want to play with the monitors, they can turn them off anyway!
Yeah, but some stupid people on the MS don't listen and don't do that.

´The heck are Mixup Monitors anyways?

They would be those monitors with the ? marks on them. If you have ever played Sonic 2 you would know what they are. But, in the game, they are labeled as Random Monitors. They can go either way, I suppose.

Last edited:
They would be those monitors with the ? marks on them. If you have ever played Sonic 2, you would know what they are. But, in the game, they are labeled as Random Monitors. They can go either way, I suppose.

Actually, the mixup monitors are the Teleporter Monitors.

Maybe it should be clarified on the survey that it's the teleports? The results won't be accurate if half the responders think you're talking about something else.

Last edited:
Actually, the mixup monitors are the Teleporter Monitors.

Maybe it should be clarified on the survey that it's the teleports? The results won't be accurate if half the responders think you're talking about something else.

...Oh. Well, I feel stupid now. xD; Thanks for telling me.

But, yeah, I agree. When I first took it I wasn't sure what the mixup monitors were, so I wasn't sure on what to put down. And now looking at it, I would think they are good the way they are. Also, they can be toggled on and off. ...Maybe I should play around with the settings whenever I host.

Following this logic, Match should start up with weapon rings disabled by default. If you can change it in the options, who cares that the default setting makes the game seem a lot worse than it could actually be? Right?

I done mine. And I don't think of doing it again.
Anyways I love the survey though. :D

...and by THAT logic, we still wouldn't have to disable it outright, just set it to off by default.
RedEchidna's reasoning is that since you can change it in the options, the default setting is irrelevant because everybody can set it the way they want. I disagree, the default options should always set the game up the best, more balanced/fun way they can.

Okay, I'm gonna join up with the "not disabled but set to off by default" crowd. I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the matter, since I don't play Race much (I'm awful--I got my butt kicked on Wacky Tesseract Zone, my own level). But this idea seems to be in the spirit of SRB2--have the gameplay balanced by default, give players the option to throw off the balance but make them go out of their way to do so.

Okay, I'm gonna join up with the "not disabled but set to off by default" crowd. I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the matter, since I don't play Race much (I'm awful--I got my butt kicked on Wacky Tesseract Zone, my own level). But this idea seems to be in the spirit of SRB2--have the gameplay balanced by default, give players the option to throw off the balance but make them go out of their way to do so.

I concur with this. Whenever I host race right now (not often) I turn the item boxes to not-random in order to remove the teleporters without cheat mode. Off-by-default would be a great service to everyone...

Hmm... what if there was a general option to turn them off or medium without cheats? (I personally wouldn't care, but some people might.)

Think of it this way: teleporters in SRB2 race are the parallel of the Blue Shell in Mario Kart. Fine in moderation, but only a problem when they're too frequent and/or if they fly. Hence, since the "flying" issue has been dealt with (people won't go crazy hunting for the right checkpoint anymore), all you really need to do is make teleporters default to low instead of medium in race, and perhaps make everything else go to high if that helps the odds any.

To those saying it's unfair, fairness is one thing, but it's not such a bad thing to have the result shaken up by something unpredictable once in a while.

Think of it this way: teleporters in SRB2 race are the parallel of the Blue Shell in Mario Kart. Fine in moderation, but only a problem when they're too frequent and/or if they fly. Hence, since the "flying" issue has been dealt with (people won't go crazy hunting for the right checkpoint anymore), all you really need to do is make teleporters default to low instead of medium in race, and perhaps make everything else go to high if that helps the odds any.

To those saying it's unfair, fairness is one thing, but it's not such a bad thing to have the result shaken up by something unpredictable once in a while.
The problem is, Race still uses the ancient random monitor mechanism where individual power-ups are not weighted differently at all. All the monitors are simply replaced with ? monitors, which have the same chance of pulling out a teleport as they have of pulling out a super ring.

The problem with the teleporters themselves is that they don't lend themselves AT ALL to a racing game. Think back to Sonic 2's two player mode. It wasn't a race, it was a competition to see who won the most categories out of a predefined set. The most a teleporter could help you was getting one out of pure gamble, and use it to steal the time category from a player who was running towards the goal.

So no, teleporters are not fine, not even in moderation. Whenever one appears, it's almost always guaranteed to throw the players' skill level out the window for the remainder of the match. It's definitely not comparable to the Recycler's effect in Match, which while also being an unfair, indiscriminate scramble, can always be recovered from. However, if you get teleported back to the start of the stage when you're almost at the end, you lose. There's no possible recovery. That's not balanced, that's not fun. I certainly don't like losing due to a teleport, and I don't feel particularly accomplished after winning due to one, either.

How about making it only appear in random monitors to the person in first? Turn it into a bad thing, with a low chance. And make it only switch them with one other random person.

There's two problems with that idea: a) the monitor would become useless, because the player in first would know better than to risk his chance at winning the race by going around breaking monitors, and b) there's no good way to make the game figure out what being in first means.

Frankly, I think you should just make it so that all monitors in Race are replaced with speed shoes by default. It's the only power-up that gives the player any guaranteed advantage in the gametype, whereas elemental shields are useful on two or three maps and pointless on everything else.

Because honestly, how many people go for monitors right now and win?

idea: Monitor gives you one of the following items (doesn't have to be these specifically) based on where you are on the lap/starpost bell curve.

3 red ring
1 rail ring
1 explosion ring
speed shoes
boosted jump
boosted air control
etc

i.e., Mario Kart + SRB2 match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back