What's the best setup for keyboard only controls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but it is whatever you are most comfortable with. Since everyone has a different a opinion.

If you still want a keyboard control Click HERE!.

I think this link only lasts 24 hours.

After you download it, just type Exec "Sonic.cfg" in the console and Bingo!

I use this controls in match,team match and ctf:
W = Forward
A = Jump
S = Spin
D = Fire
Mouse = Turn around
Q and E = Change Weapon Slot

But that's my controls and how i like it to be,so best way is to set them by your opinion.

Here's mine:

Arrow Keys, B to shoot, V to spin, c to drop flag, z and x to rotate between weapons, and n is secondary fire. No strafe, no mouselook, 3rd person, using knuckles.

I've been criticized (for good reason!) for using that setup for the last 3-4 years...I've tried using a WASD+mouse setup, or even just using 1st person...I can't get a grip on it. SRB2 is far too fast-paced for me to make good use of mouse controls, so I'll gladly sacrifice railing those who are not on the same plane as I am for this layout.

I play with what works, right? It just so happens that I figured out how to play moderately well with a moderately crap setup. Go figure.

Last edited:
what kind of critcism? do they just call you a "noob for using keyboard"? I hope not because...

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Sorry, but it is whatever you are most comfortable with. Since everyone has a different a opinion.

If you still want a keyboard control Click HERE!.

I think this link only lasts 24 hours.

After you download it, just type Exec "Sonic.cfg" in the console and Bingo!

I used it, it made the colors all washed out now, and the music lowered very low. i deleted it but its still like that.

It's mostly just Mystic saying that I could be a whole lot better if I used WASD+mouse. Because I can't exactly aim up or down, I have a bit of reliance on autoaim to help me out, too.

I don't let it bother me a whole lot.

Using a keyboard and mouse is strictly superior to using a keyboard only because you can choose the rate you turn at. Getting good with a control scheme using the mouse will make you a better player, especially in match/ctf.

This doesn't mean you can't be really good using a keyboard only, it just means you're handicapping yourself. Playing SRB2 with the keyboard only is like trying to play a 3D platformer with just a D-Pad. Sure, you can do it, but an analog stick will give you far better control over what you're doing.

I don't deny that. I play other first-person-shooters using WASD+Mouse all the time. SRB2 is the only game where I play using my "handicapped" scheme.

It would be interesting to see if my SRB2 ability would change drastically with autoaim disabled...

WASD = Forward/Backward ; Strafe Left/Right
Left/Right Arrow Keys = Look Around (Or Mouse for Match)
Left Click = Shoot

Quite simple...

WASD for your standard strafing, E for tossing the flag, mouse for aim and direction, left click to fire a weapon, right click to jump, clicking the scroll button to spin, scrolling that button to toggle between weapons. Mind you, I haven't completely adjusted to 2.0's match and ctf, so I wouldn't be surprised if I find a more optimal setup later.

I used it, it made the colors all washed out now, and the music lowered very low. i deleted it but its still like that.

Well it is because of, I like the "look" of SRB2 (very white) with the music on low.

If you want the settings before change it back then type "saveconfig" in the console.

Is it possible that some people didn't read the topic title? This is about keyboard only controls.

I myself used a keyboard setup a while ago. I used the arrow keys, space for jumping and CTRL for spinning. Wasn't the optimal setting though, that's why I switched to mouse+keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back