Official Level Design Contest: January/February

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, guys.

light dasher said:
You havent seen alot of Nights maps because they're really hard to make

Well, once you get the hang of it, it's not too hard. What's really hard is if you place all the objects manually. I cannot get NiGHTS OBJECTPLACE to work at all. Three computers I've tried it on. Doesn't work. I even tried doing it in the great BSZ. Still says LOL GIEV EGG CAPSUEL ON MAER 0 A RNIG REQURMNET. They all have one, dang it!

Eh, but imanual hoop bitsetting allows you to make X-shaped hoops. See Hoop Placement Tutorial on the Wiki!
----
Aw, man. I was going to submit four levels for this one. But only one of them is ready for submission, and that's my NiGHTS race, Wacky Track Zone. YES, COM, I'M GOING TO CONTINUE MAKING NiGHTS LEVELS! So far, simsmagic (a credible review source, unlike Kaysakado), has given it an 8/10. I'll make sure to submit it.

This is kind of good, as for next contest, I'll be able to submit like 3-4 1P NiGHTS levels. That gametype is, in my mind, the easiest one in which to design a level well.

This will also be good as I have tons of time to tweak and fix Poison Prison Zone, a 1P Adventure Level. It's actually unplayable without Adventure mode, and it takes Sonic's overpowered thok into account.

I personally don't consider either Kayasakado or Simsmagic to be good sources of feedback. For me, I get most of my feedback on IRC.

And a far as easy goes, it might just be because you're focusing on thing placement. A bunch of hoops and wings gets boring after a while, you know. I try to put a lot of stress on making a good level to look at, too.

Also, lolz, 3 or 4 NiGHTS levels. It seems that says something about your opinion on quality, doesn't it. ;)

Wacky Track Zone has rather...different visuals, for the record.

Heh, you're right. Probably two NiGHTS maps next contest, because one of them is nearing completion. Well, the visuals are better in Forsaken Temple Zone (not submitted here)...but...I have lots of time to improve, now. Yeah, why not put more stuff? The third mare is kinda needing a bit more scenery, I'll see what I can think up of.

For my next zone, I might actually spend 3-4 weeks on it...using real-life photographs for inspiration. I've already quickly written my own custom music. Don't worry about the quality of my music; it honestly can rival that of RedXVI's as of now. Just wait and anticipate.

I know Kaysa isn't a very credible reviewer. :P

IRC = FAIL. You can talk to me here or the Wiki. I don't need another site to go to. I'd probably get quite offended by other people there. That would honestly pull me away from schoolwork, too. Plus my mom says no. I'd most certainly snap at people all the time for language and dirty jokes. Just no. While I've heard it's more intelligent, I probably would say otherwise. The language is a problem. I don't want to be exposed to those who won't watch what they say.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
... I've already quickly written my own custom music. Don't worry about the quality of my music; it honestly can rival that of RedXVI's as of now. ...

With what I've heard so far I'd have to agree. Oh and the name of your Forsaken Temple Zone has given me an idea for another NiGHTS SP map theam.

Kaysakado said:
Sonic Master said:
Plus my mom says no.
...you're 18. =/
Doesn't matter if he still lives with his parents like I still do at this point, House rules.

Well, the thing is that I think you rate maps too high. But at least I have seen that you've given a 0 to Miles' Beach, so... Cosmic Warehouse is now utter failage in my mind. Yeah, Racing into Dreams is utter failage in my mind right now.

I kinda don't care the fact that I'm 18. When my parents say no, I tend to agree with them highly. The other reasons still apply.

Even though I released crappy levels to the last contest (which actually made it the second worst by the averages), I'm glad I did. Because I got very valuable feedback. And I laughed for like 15 minutes when I heard you could go Super Sonic in my crappy Special Stage.

BlueZero4, your sole comment has motivated me to put even more detail in my next NiGHTS map. The way I have it set up, the visuals of the first mare and second mare are seen at the same time. So, I'll just have the terrain change as soon as the second mare is ready to start. It will make the visuals less boring, so thanks, BlueZero4, record holder of the 1P division of the OLDCs!

Well, one of my levels is doing OK, the other was terrible. Next time, I will send in Pyraz.

I'll leave it up to you to guess what that's about :)

I'll Begin said:
You really should host the next contest. That way you can't enter your own contest. *mauled BADLY*

Um, Mystic has entered his own contest. So has FuriousFox.

Anyway, with your reasoning, disagreed. While most of his maps aren't that great, he's produced some really awesome ones like Daimondus CTF (on the leaderboard!) and Castletania. Even Digiku said he was "in love with this level [Castletania]."

I'm planning on entering Mech Mountain Act 2 for the March/April contest and, of course, it is the sequel to my recent release - Mech Mountain Act 1.

It is meant to be of a difficulty similar to THZ2 in the official game, and has lasers, crushers, conveyor belts, lots of pipes, plenty of slime, gas jets, barrels, boxes, locked doors and buttons to open them with.

It's not quite complete yet, but here's a screen of it:
srb20054.png

I'll Begin said:
You really should host the next contest. That way you can't enter your own contest. *mauled BADLY*

Anyway, with your reasoning, disagreed. While most of his maps aren't that great, he's produced some really awesome ones like Daimondus CTF (on the leaderboard!) and Castletania. Even Digiku said he was "in love with this level [Castletania]."
No I like Glaber's maps too, and I know you can enter your own contests. It's common knowledge that adding *shot* or *mauled* or *hit by a flying pie* or *grated* and so on so forth implies sarcasm.

I know full well I can do that, but before I even post the new topic I need to figure out every thing I need to do to host. So far I know i need an email address to have the entries sent to (has gmail for that), a place to download the contest wads from (Has media fire), I need either winzip or winrar (has winrar), I would need to compile the multiplayer levels into one wad with XWE (has it), and the most important thing I believe I need is permission from either Mystic or FuriousFox to host the contest because the last time someone hosted without permission it either got overwritten by the official topic or deleted.

You don't need to host the contest. FuriousFox will do it again like he has done so the last few times. In a few weeks, the new thread should be up.

I'll Begin said:
I'll Begin said:

No I like Glaber's maps too, and I know you can enter your own contests. It's common knowledge that adding *shot* or *mauled* or *hit by a flying pie* or *grated* and so on so forth implies sarcasm.

But with that usage of *mauled BADLY*, I thought you really meant it. Still makes sense.

glaber said:
I know full well I can do that, but before I even post the new topic I need to figure out every thing I need to do to host. So far I know i need an email address to have the entries sent to (has gmail for that), a place to download the contest wads from (Has media fire), I need either winzip or winrar (has winrar), I would need to compile the multiplayer levels into one wad with XWE (has it), and the most important thing I believe I need is permission from either Mystic or FuriousFox to host the contest because the last time someone hosted without permission it either got overwritten by the official topic or deleted.
Or you can host them on my Sepwich so the link doesn't die. But now that Sonict has said "no", don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back