MD2 folder disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoctor

Well, I was working on a classic sonic md2 for the walls of the void, and when I went to test it in-game after adding a super sonic model to it, srb2 would tell me that it cannot find the location to ANY md2 file. Being shocked when I saw this, I checked the md2.dat to see if there was any error. And there wasn't. Then I decided to check the md2 folder, but when I looked at all the folders in my srb2 folder, the entire md2 folder has vanished. I had checked my recycle bin, and there is nothing that that pertains to srb2 in any way. What the [filter] has happened? I had a poop load of great md2s which have now randomly vanished. Is there a way to retrieve them? How can I prevent this random occurrence from happening?

If this is a bug, then post it in the Bug Reports thread. Anyways, Inuyasha locked that thread until Version 2.1. Don't try to evade it by posting somewhere else, maybe 2.1 will fix it. You just have to wait.

If this actually a bug to do with SRB2 itself I'll be really surprised. Have you searched for your MD2 folder elsewhere on your computer?

If this actually a bug to do with SRB2 itself I'll be really surprised. Have you searched for your MD2 folder elsewhere on your computer?

Yes, I have done so, and the md2 folder could not have been found, I did however discover a random folder titled "New" in my documents with all my md2s there. So now I know where they went, but still have no idea what caused it or why it happened.

also, I didn't put it in the bugs section because I'm not even sure if this is a bug with srb2win.exe or if it has happened for another reason.

once again, the md2s have been found, but in a newly randomly made folder titled "new" in my documents.

Sounds like you got a virus, run a full system scan to see what it picks up.

Sounds like you got a virus, run a full system scan to see what it picks up.

Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity. It's far more likely that it was a silly mistake and he just put the files in the "New" folder.

I never even had a folder named "new" in my documents, nor would I fill it with all my md2s which are up to date, including the one I finished working on when this had happened.

And not to travel back in time, but to stop it from happening again. (I already have a type 40 tardis and a vortex manipulator, I already know how to travel back in time :o.)

but I know this thing wasn't out of my foolishness or my own doing. I have AVG antivirus thingy and that one windows maleware dectecting thingy, its not a matter of viruses either.

Nope. I am the only one who uses my laptop. And for the time when this had happened I was the only one home. And remember, when I finished the md2 that I was making, the md2 folder was still present in the srb2 folder, it was when I turned on srb2 it had disappeared.

If these were originals, then the idiosyncrasies of journaling file systems (such as NTFS) should provide for a relatively easy method of recovering data for someone familiar with either the software called "System Mechanics Search and Recovery" or a Unix based operating system such as Linux. The first option is simpler but not free, and can be somewhat counter productive without a second Windows installation as the latter of the two can be done using a live disc instead, but I wouldn't be surprised if you already knew this. As you stated prior, you already know how to travel back in time via Gallifreyan technology, so learning how to operate a flux capacitor would be a waste of your time like reading this paragraph probably was. Just avoid using that vortex manipulator (Windows system restore) as it has nasty side effects and is bad for the heath of Windows.

As for identifying the potential causes of your mishap, this would be nearly impossible without more information as it could be almost anything. Other than reviewing system logs and checking the Virus Vault, there isn't much else that I can suggest. If this was SRB2 related, the error would have likely appeared in the log file. Assuming you have a firewall and the files weren't falsely determined by AVG to be infectious (due to uncommon compression and/or encryption), I guess the only other software related possibility I can thing of is that somehow the attributes of the files were changed to make them hidden. If the issue persist with other files seemly at random, it could be a sign of hard drive failure, though I doubt it would be this. When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. -Sherlock Holmes (Chap. 6, p. 111)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back