How do I use audacity to make my wav 8bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WellDoneSnake

Yoko Shimomura
I'm having a problem with using audacity, I do not know how to convert my wav to 8bit mono so that it can work with srb2, can someone help me.

Go into the edit drop-down menu and select preferences, and switch to the File Formats tab. Here, set the Uncompressed Export Format to "WAV (Microsoft 8 bit PCM)". Additionally, you will also want to go into the Quality tab and set Real-time dither and High-quality dither to "None". Now when you export as a WAV, the result can be converted to the DooM WAV format correctly once you import it into your wad.

As for how to get a mono track from a stereo one, what I do is go into the menu on the name of the sound effect shown to the left of the waveform(and to the right of the x button for that sound), and select "split stereo track" to get the left and right tracks separated. Once you've done that, you can use the same menu(there is now one for each track) to set the left and right tracks set to "mono". Now you have the choice of either deleting one and exporting, or halving the volume on both tracks and exporting with both mono tracks layered on top of each other; just do whatever sounds best.

As for how to get a mono track from a stereo one, what I do is go into the menu on the name of the sound effect shown to the left of the waveform(and to the right of the x button for that sound), and select "split stereo track" to get the left and right tracks separated. Once you've done that, you can use the same menu(there is now one for each track) to set the left and right tracks set to "mono". Now you have the choice of either deleting one and exporting, or halving the volume on both tracks and exporting with both mono tracks layered on top of each other; just do whatever sounds best.
...or you can click the stereo track, click "Tracks" in the menu bar, and then "Stereo Track to Mono".

I had this problem two summers ago and someone redirected me to a program called GoldWave. It's free but you can do only 200 actions on one file I think the counter resets to 0 if you restart it. Like I said, I think that's what happens cause I haven't touched my laptop since it crashed and burned. But it can save 8-bit .wavs but if the pitch sounds different, fiddle around with the file until it has the right pitch.

That's how I've been making custom sounds for the past month or so.

Thanks guys I knew there was method, because I've been wondering how the makers of srb2riders made their sounds using 8bit wav.

Primo 2.0, I did not see a file formats tab and I did not see "Uncompressed Export Format".
audcaitymenu.png

In the new version, in the export menu, you'll need to set the file format to "Other uncompressed files". Then click on options to bring up another window, set the header to "WAV (Microsoft)" and the encoding to "Unsigned 8 bit PCM"

In the new version, in the export menu, you'll need to set the file format to "Other uncompressed files". Then click on options to bring up another window, set the header to "WAV (Microsoft)" and the encoding to "Unsigned 8 bit PCM"
Thanks a lot :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back