Retracting Floor Spikes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkz

Advanced FOFing Concepts
Ok, so I'm building Spring Stadium and I'm currently trying to get the mechanics of retracting floor spikes working. I got them set up to pop out of the ground when a player touches the ground of the surrounding sector. Looks awesome! Now how would I get them back into the ground when the player steps off of the trigger sector? Where I'm at right now, I cant get them to back down at all.

3V256.png

Also, I have the spikes set to deliver spike damage. (By means of giving these sloped floors the spike attribute.) They look threatening but the player has to get to the very top of them to cause the damage. Any advice on how to get an invisible FOF to move up and down with the spikes? I tried Building a FOF with the same tags and executors. (set to move the FOFs ceiling, not its floor) The FOF pops out but only delivers the damage at that time. If the player returns to the FOF, which also refuses to go back into the ground, they are not hurt. Likewise, if the player evades the FOF on its way up it will never hurt them.

Also, I was originally going to use the spike item but I was forced to draw my own spikes when the item wouldn't move with the floor. If anybody knows how I could make that work instead, I and the frame-rate would be grateful!

Last edited:
Solution found! Rather than the spikes reacting to the player not being there anymore, I've used the backsector method to send the spikes back into the floor. Now when a player steps too close, the spikes pop up, damaging the player and then quickly drop back down, resetting themselves.

EDIT; This only works on a small scale. All the slopes drawn is wreaking havoc on the frame rate. Still wide open to suggestions!

Last edited:
Thanks, y'all! great ideas. While They were easier on the frame rate, I'm afraid there's still just too much going on in Spring Stadium. the game eventually crashes. The only thing I found to work is static spike pits but that's not Spring Stadium at all! This zone might have to wait. Is 2.1 going to be more powerful? will it support slopes?

Thanks, y'all! great ideas. While They were easier on the frame rate, I'm afraid there's still just too much going on in Spring Stadium. the game eventually crashes. The only thing I found to work is static spike pits but that's not Spring Stadium at all! This zone might have to wait. Is 2.1 going to be more powerful? will it support slopes?

It looks like you've hit the extremes of the Doom engine. No 2.1 will not be more "powerful".

Consider using models for the more complex structures. If you're just going to zoom tube through it anyway, you don't have to set up a buttload of linedefs for collision either.

I suppose you're right. Somehow I though pushing the engine to its limits would be cooler and more rewarding. I guess I'll be using GFZ style spike pits for Spring Stadium. Which is so far from what I wanted I didn't even consider it when I first stating this build. Though I'm disappointed and heart broken, I've learned some 4 techniques for making retracting spikes!

Ill Begin, you've talked about models replacing structures before. I don't know anything about any of that. A link or a point in the right direction would be fantastic.

O.K. GFZ style spikes are out! I'm using spike sprites and an invisible tangible FOF. I gotta ask why this wasn't used instead of the fake floor. It seems far more efficient. There's less drawing, less lag, it's far more intuitive in 3D mode, and as far as I can tell, the collision is identical. Anybody know something I don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back