Official Level Design Contest Voting: March/April 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
Welcome to the March/April 2008 contest voting. We have 6 Multiplayer maps and 6 Single Player maps this time.

The voting works as follows: Play a few games of the stage in question, in the intended gametype for judging, and give the map a vote from 0 to 10, no decimals. You can not vote on your own map. Votes where the voter obviously did not play the level in its intended gametype, or where the voter did not play the multiplayer maps with other real players will be discarded. To encourage voting, if you are an author and you judge all of the competitor's maps, the lowest score on your map will be dropped. Please be as unbiased as possible for the author or the look of the map. It's all about how good the map plays, nothing else.

Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.

Judging will end May 8th at midnight GMT (May 7th, 7:00 PM EST). The scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score is the winner.

The maps follow:

Single Player Level Pack

Single Player:
Poison Prison Zone by SonicMaster
Triopolis Tower by Brandon Dyer
Metal Mechanism Zone, Act 1 by Hyperknux
Flooded Mine Zone by Boinciel
Green Hill Game Gear, Act 2 by Glaber
Undersea Palace Zone, Act 1 by GCFreak

Match/CTF/Circuit Contest Level Pack

Match:
MAPA1 - Carnage Palace Zone by Zanyhead
MAPA2 - Metal Spire Zone by SonicMaster
MAPA3 - Voiced Concern Zone by Glaber

Capture the Flag:
None. You guys need to make some! :(

Circuit:
MAPA4 - Frantic Factory Zone by Roy
MAPA5 - Barren Ambition Zone by Glaber
MAPA6 - Mine Maze Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog

Please make sure to play the levels in the intended gametype, and above all, have fun judging!

SP Maps link is broken. Fix. NAO.
Well, not many maps this time... I just hope this contest is better than the previous one.

No!!!!! My map didn't make it. I could swear I sent it in before this topic was put up.

Your email was 43 minutes after the official deadline, and it didn't have anything attached to it. By the time I got the email, I was already putting the pack together.

GOD YES

I mean, I'm so happy that we have some (half) decent multiplayer maps! Although, it's dinner time now, so I'll be rating later.

FuriousFox said:
Your email was 43 minutes after the official deadline, and it didn't have anything attached to it. By the time I got the email, I was already putting the pack together.

Ah dang, my email's been acting up lately. Gosh I hate timezones.

Single player:
Poison Prison Zone by SonicMaster - 5/10
Trying to use muliple paths is a good idea, but each area is too cramped. I also wanted to see more factory like gimmicks, or something to scenic.

Triopolis Tower by Brandon Dyer - 0/10
This is the same wad from Gemplanet. Even if it wasn't in a released wad, I wouldn't give this a good rating anyway. Pretty much everyone that posted after me stated the problems.

Metal Mechanism Zone, Act 1 by Hyperknux - 6/10
Ah, this looks much more like a factory. The level design is pretty good, the first area with the spring had a shortcut to the grass part of the level. I am not sure if that was intentional or not, but it skips a good part of the level.

Flooded Mine Zone by Boinciel - 7/10
This level is good. I liked the level of detail that was in it. I didn't get any sig segs or anything like that the first time going through. Using the switch to make the pumps was pretty good. There wasn't enough enemies though.

Green Hill Game Gear, Act 2 by Glaber - 2/10
Ow my ears. The rendition of the song was to high pitched. Anyway on to the actual level. The level is linear, and cramped. It didn't have any green hill type of feel to it.

Undersea Palace Zone, Act 1 by GCFreak - 6/10
I thought that some of the platforming aspects of the level were a bit annoying, there were too many places where I had to keep trying on the same jump. I think there could have been more springs. I still liked the stage enough to give it a 6, and I like the ending.

Match:
MAPA1 - Carnage Palace Zone by Zanyhead - 1/10
This one has cramped hallways and homing. Not very fun

MAPA2 - Metal Spire Zone by SonicMaster - 2/10
This felt bland, it just didn't feel like anything inspired it. The problem is the various heights and small rooms. It just didn't make it flow too well.

MAPA3 - Voiced Concern Zone by Glaber - 3/10
The layout was pretty good, the problem is that you can get all the emeralds and turn super. That definitely took some points down for me.
EDIT: Well, okay you made this to complain about the emerald idea for 1.1, but as I said in a post later, it is different to 1.09.4 scheme mainly because only one person can turn super in 1.1 and its very rare to get it. Not to say it still might not be a great idea, it just works a lot different.

Capture the Flag:
lolwut/10

Circuit:
MAPA4 - Frantic Factory Zone by Roy - 4/10
Kinda a good idea with the lazers to prevent thokfests a bit. It doesn't have much scenery.

MAPA5 - Barren Ambition Zone by Glaber - 6/10
This one wasn't too bad. I might have to try this at a later time to get the fell of it.

MAPA6 - Mine Maze Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog - 5/10
lol loops. Okay now that I got that out of the way. The scenery fit the level, though there are jumps that break the flow of the level. The loop breaks flow as well.

Ash said:
Um, all of the multiplayer maps deserve a four or less. I just played them all in netgames. Half-decent? More like sub-decent.
Erm, I was thinking single player, despite how I wrote multiplayer. Whoops!

Torgo said:
MAPA3 - Voiced Concern Zone by Glaber - 2/10
The layout was pretty good, the problem is that you can get all the emeralds and turn super. That definitely took some points down for me.
This is the "Voiced Concern" about 1.1. Although in the leaked beta the emeralds took a while to gather and didn't start spawning until one minuet into the match, they were still there and made me concerned about 1.1's match mode because of how you react to all 7 emeralds being available on a match mode map.

Aside from that, I'm glad to hear you liked the layout.

Single player.

Poison Prison Zone by SonicMaster - 7/10
Yeah, you're definitely getting better at level making. There was some pretty neat stuff, like the (fake) sideways opening door =P But for some reason, even though I had fun and I kept coming back to the level to play it, I always felt that a path was forced upon me, there is a main path and an obscure alternate patch which I couldn't really see due to the fact that some of the textures you chose blended together, combined with some crampedness in small parts of the level. Ah well, not a bad entry at all. =)

Triopolis Town by Brandon Dyer - 2/10
Epic fail. You've definitely got the visual aspect down right, but impossibly hard to navigate level design and huge lifeless areas with nothing else to do but run and bop enemies, just no. You also forgot the naming convention.

Metal Mechanism Zone, Act 1 by Hyperknux - 6/10
Definite signs of improvement over previous levels. However, the beginning in particular is confusing because you've got all these different paths intersecting each other in one central area, and I had to scout around a bit to find my way outside. The level also suffers fom cramped areas here and there.

Flooded Mine Zone by Boinciel - 9/10
Awesome. Custom content all over the place; great level design; very pleasing to the eye and very pleasing to play. I demand you to make more =)

Green Hill Game Gear, Act 2 by Glaber = 6/10
You also forgot the naming convention. =P My main concern is that things are pretty cramped. I mean REALLY cramped. It was also rather short, and didn't have multiple paths. However, some positive things: It looked pretty authentic, the cutscene was something I wouldn't have expected (even if I did those audio files for you.) So yeah, there ya have it.

Undersea Palace Zone, Act 1 by GCFreak - DSZ/10
Well, I literally stayed up the entire night last night finishing this thing off, because I slacked off =P That's gotta mean something, I guess. I'll be more prepared for next time.

Flooded Mine Zone has a custom enemy SOC by Nev3r. Any crashes you may find in the level are probably related to the Hindens, so you know who to blame. :P

EDIT: And it's meant to be played in Software. Any OGL glitches are not my responsibility, as it was hard enough ironing out the Software bugs.

Glaber, super in match works better in 1.1 >>. You can actually lose the emeralds and only one person can turn super, and its rare. The emeralds spawn in different places each time you play a map. In 1.09.4 anyone can turn super with the emeralds collected by random people, and it has various glitches because it wasn't made with super in match in mind.

That Undersea Palace Zone blows any other level out of the water. THE best level I've seen in all my years of srb2. The level was nice, long, and challenging, unlike most levels. I'd give it a 10/10.

Glaber's Review post:

Flooded Mine Zone: 7/10
Hmm. nice layout, but your blimp badnik crashed the game. I give you a 7.

Green Hill Act 2: Can't rate/10
Reason: it's mine!

Metal Mechanism: 3/10
Uh, why did I find a spot with Red Volcaino Syndrom? This level stunk of robot exust and smoking guns. In other words: tone down the robots!

Poison Prison Zone: 8/10
WOW. This level amazed me. I like what I played and I really liked how you gave credit to the person who made the music for your level. The acid Suprise was lacking, but I won't dock you for it.

Triopolis Tower: Can't rate/10
Reason: You sent in Triopolis Town instead. This level was already released prior to the contest twice on the fourms, and as such is a rule braking level. I'd advise releasing the correct level in this thread ASAP.
The threads where it can be found: http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=12586 http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=12648

Undersea Palace: 9/10
WOW! This level felt like a 1.1 level to me. I really liked the water slides.

Single Player:

Poison Prison [SonicMaster] - 4/10
It's definitely a nice change of pace from all of that NiGHTS crap you were churning out, but still, it's not fantastic. I liked how you integrated the whole "holy crap, it's a poison prison" into the design, but it was a bit too open. You could've done so much more with that space. In other parts, it was cramped. It's a basic design: Platforms, floors, enemies, obstacles, death pits... not really any pizazz to it to leave a lasting effect of "wow" on you, or any uniqueness to give you a sense of the author's own style. I liked the horizontally moving door, but you did it wrong (just saying; you could've done it a lot better if you tried harder). One thing that really ticked me off was the area right before the end. Empty, a few enemies, and that path right above the death pit. What would've been better was slime that hurts you, and a current that brings you back at the beginning. You could easily lose a life if you don't turn and jump at the right time. A mouselook user such as myself didn't have much of a problem, but the turns are just so awkward and linear, it served no salvation for the map's design. Overall, it would be okay as a first try, but you, having experience, should be capable of a lot, lot more.

Triopolis Town [GemEarthBrandon] - 2/10
This is the same one used in your mod without the snazzy music choice. Oh dear...
Linear design + citylike landscape. The framerate lag from the excessive FOF usage was failure incarnate. Basically, the goal is to thok continuously in a straight line with an occasional turn, and reach the end without dying or getting sidetracked. Just like the rest of your modification, it was huge, featureless, linear, and boring. There's nothing else to say about it. By the way, before you go off saying "BUT THERE ARE BUILDINGS EVERYWHERE IT'S NOT FEATURELESS", if they don't interact with the player in a way that adds to the gameplay, they have no real use.

Metal Mechanism [Hyperknux] - 5/10
The design is solid. I have to hand it to you; you successfully combined both of THZ's maps in a way that promises to deliver a decent amount of fun from playing it. Sadly, it kept reusing the same gimmick over and over and over and over and over and over again (rising platform). Sure, it's nice to use here and there, but when you use it almost ALL OF THE TIME, it loses it's specialness, and becomes "oh yay, another platform. Whee...?" You could have used the huge openness to your advantage, but you only did average work with it, as well as used a fair amount of cramped areas to ruin your map. (Side note, I noticed you have a waterfall without damaging effects. Fixup time?) Overall, a technically sound map, but it just fails to stand out from any other map.

Flooded Mine [Boinciel] - 6/10
This map was the best out of all of them. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. The custom content wasn't stunning, but it served it's purpose, and it did it well. The amount of detail you put into the map really brought out its individuality and superiority from this contest's entries, but it wasn't enough to fill the map sufficiently. The custom enemy was cute, by the way; it makes those evil designs of 1.1 crawlas just pale in comparison. What you could've added is more gimmicky stuff that would go with the "the mine has flooded zomg" theme you have. All it seems to be is a cave with water in it. No mine visible. I know it's difficult to accomplish in SRB2, but it seems that you didn't really try. Sure, you have a random, relatively minor mine accent all over the place, but it doesn't make it any more mine-like. Other than that, you've got some good ideas. I'm sure you could make this map so much better with time.

Green Hill Game Gear 2 [Glaber] - 3/10
Awesome intro, but my expectations were not treated well. The music doesn't loop very well, by the way. Anyway, classic case of Glaber Syndrome; you can't really port Game Gear to SRB2. You might've done better with 2D mode, but otherwise, it was kinda confusing. The design was linear, plain, and not fitting for SRB2. I actually got stuck, not knowing what to do, and apparently you can spindash from one part of the map to the end with the wind shield you provided. It definitely said "Hey, I'm different! I'm new!", but it didn't say anything about any of the other factors of a map you really need. Cool, but cool doesn't always make the grade.

Undersea Palace [GCFreak/Callum] - 5/10
At first glance, I was severely disappointed. I don't know why, but I expected a lot more from you, even though I have no previous knowledge of your mapping style. Pretty plain, and way too open. The music choice was nice, but it didn't really fit the map well, only because it didn't wreak "Tidal Tempest", but whatever, that's not important. The major flaw was the lack of real obstacle. There isn't much else to it. What intrigued me, and probably many others, was the duplication of the water slide from the 1.1 preview video, but you created a cheap system to make it a bit difficult to land on the platforms at the top, so you would land on the bottom, make your way up, and be forced to go through it again, as if you were quietly murmuring in the background, "Look at my slide, fools... Look at it. I SAID LOOK AT IT!" Neat, but it didn't help your map, sorry.

Singleplayer Notes:
I thought because of the large amount of SP entries this time around, the quality would be off the charts, but I was sadly mistaken...

Match:

Carnage Palace [Zanyhead] - 3/10
The design looked cool, but it was small, and cramped in most of the map. Still, the ring combination was a good choice for this type of map, so you obviously knew how to add a proper balance.

Metal Spire [SonicMaster] - 1/10
Weird concept, but it works... somewhat. The map is only a small square with a rectangular inlet, duplicated three times on a z axis. It was boring over the net because... well, there was almost nothing there. I could've easily just made 3 sectors, and it would essentially be what you have now. Um, bravo.

Voiced Concern [Glaber] - 10/10
Magnificent. Simply amazing.
The way you voiced your concern for 1.1's new match system involving the emerald really swayed my opinion toward your point. Having emeralds available in the map and having a player turn super in a match may not be a good idea after all. As I see it, you're going to get tons of underrated scores for just having them in the map, without people understanding why you took the risk of losing this contest. The thing is, what you did was essentially is now in SRB2. "Oh, you got points off for emeralds", but they're in all of 1.1's Match AND Capture the Flag maps. Do the official maps get points off for it too?
Brilliant execution, and I liked how you placed the emeralds in their proper areas in an "elemental" fashion. Though the design wasn't that great, it was still okay for online, and it fit well with everything else. I noticed your fail in the greenery area, and I agree; it fails. I hope my rating saves your map from the sheer ignorance of any other people who underrate this map because of your gimmick.

Match Notes:
All of the entries were below par, and because of the low amount of them, that's all that's here.

Capture the Flag:
... There's just... nothing I can say that can accurately express my disgust in the CTF portion of the contest this time.

Circuit:

Frantic Factory [Roy] - 3/10
It's lazers, random crushers, conveyors, and poor, linear design. There's literally nothing else to say about the map; it's that plain.

Barren Ambition [Glaber] - 3/10
As far as NiGHTS maps go, it's not too bad. As far as regular maps go, it's not that good. What I realized is that because of the lack of exposure to the NiGHTS gametype, the community isn't ready to see maps made of this type. With enough practice it may become mainstream, but as of now, I haven't seen enough NiGHTS content to know how good "good" is, or how bad "bad" is. I liked the cacti you made (plural of cactus, just so you know), and the background wasn't horrible either, but it was pretty uneventful.

Mine Maze [Blade T. Hedgehog] - 4/10
Spacious, and it fit the theme, but otherwise, fairly boring and annoying. The turns were very sharp, and most of the jumps were exactly the max jumpheight (96 units, similar to CEZ1) causing a large amount of disruption in flow. It played poorly, but it looked nice, so I gave you points for that.

Circuit Notes:
See Match Notes.

That's it. I grade kinda roughly compared to others, so here's my scale to better explain what I mean:
Ashgradingscale.png

Weird, I know, but it works.
>_>
<_<

Boinciel said:
Flooded Mine Zone has a custom enemy SOC by Nev3r. Any crashes you may find in the level are probably related to the Hindens, so you know who to blame. :P
The level crashes always at the same part of the level, maybe you're the one who is making something wrong. >>'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back