Official Level Design Contest: May/June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Welcome to the official level design contest topic. Please read the following if you're interested in entering the contest or are just curious as to what the rules and regulations are.

There are four divisions, match, capture the flag, circuit and single player. Here are the important parts of each type, for those who would like the specifics:

Match stages are arenas for players to fight. 32 deathmatch starts are necessary to randomize the spawning, but if the stage loads and runs okay, it’s an acceptable entry for the match contest. You should also have a Player 1 Start to keep the level from crashing if loaded improperly.

Capture the Flag stages are arenas for two teams to battle it out. They must include a red team and blue team base with a flag, and should include 32 deathmatch and 16 red and blue team starts. There should also be a Player 1 Start to keep the level from crashing if loaded improperly. It is generally better to make the map symmetrical to be absolutely sure that it is fair for both teams.

Circuit stages are race tracks designed for Race mode. They should include a Circuit mode finish line and several Star Posts to ensure the stage runs properly. Please use the Star Post Activation sector type to make sure it's not possible to skip the Star Posts, and do not use enemies in Circuit mode. There should be a Player 1 Start at the starting point.

Single Player stages are designed to play in 1 player, and have to include a start and end, and obstacles in the way. Generally, it’s a good idea to give the map support for Cooperative and Race mode, but it’s not necessary.

The full rules of the contest are as follows:

1. All levels must work correctly in their selected mode. Support for other modes is suggested, but not required. Levels will be judged in Match, Capture the Flag, Circuit or Single Player, depending on the contest you’re entering.
2. The map may not have been publicly released before. In other words, if you have released the level on the Addons section or on the forums, you may not enter it. However, if it’s unreleased, that is just as good as being completely new, and is a legal entry. Basically, don't fix up an old map and enter it, make something new.
3. The map has to be your own work. If you base it on another map, that's fine, but a straight port or slight modifications are against the rules.

For the match, circuit and capture the flag contest, there is another rule in place:

4. Custom textures, music, SOCs, and other lumps other than a header and the map itself are not allowed in the Match, Circuit and Capture the Flag contests. These levels are going to be combined into a single WAD file, so in the interest in getting the entries out on time, you have to be creative with what you have.

Submissions are to be sent to my e-mail at mystic@srb2.org.

Submissions need to have "Contest Submission - May/June" as the subject line, and contain the name of the stage, your nickname, and the contest you are submitting the map to in the e-mail body. If you do not give me a nickname, your e-mail's given name and e-mail address will be used to attribute the file. For multiple maps in one e-mail, make sure to put the information for each map included. I prefer attachments, but links in the body of the e-mail are also alright provided they are to your own webspace. No SendSpace, Rapidshare, or other similar file hosts. Files hosted on such servers will not be included. Note that maps that are considered unplayable will be rejected.

The contest submissions period ends on July 1st, 2007 at 12:00 AM GMT. (June 30th, 2007 at 7:00 PM EST). Any submissions that are late will be possible to get in if you get them to me before the judging starts, but if you’re late, you’re taking a risk that you might have to wait for the next contest, so please get your file in on time.

Judging will consist of voting on the message board. Any member can vote, giving a number for each map from 0 to 10, zero being the most abysmal piece of crap ever, and ten being total perfection. You cannot vote on your own map. To encourage voting, if an entrant votes on everyone else’s map in the contest they are entered in, the lowest score on all of their entries will be dropped. (Example: If someone enters a single player map and votes on all the other single player maps, their lowest score is dropped.)

Judging will start the instant the files are uploaded, and continue until a week after they were uploaded. The exact time when voting will end will be shown when the files are uploaded. At that point, all votes will be averaged and the map with the highest average in each category will be declared the winner.

The section on the Addons section for showing contest winners is still under revision, but the winners will get special treatment on the website.

All entries are welcome, from beginners to advanced level designers. Even if you don’t win, this is an excellent way to get feedback on your stage to help improve. Collaborations are allowed, and testing is encouraged strongly. There is no limit to the number of entries you can have, but I encourage you to limit yourself to 3-4 so each map can get the attention it deserves. Quality over quantity.

Alrighty, with that out of the way, those Pokemon aren't going to catch themselves...

Mystic said:
The contest submissions period ends on July 1st, 2007 at 12:00 AM GMT. (June 30th, 2007 at 7:00 PM EST). Any submissions that are late will be possible to get in if you get them to him before the judging starts, but if you’re late, you’re taking a risk that you might have to wait for the next contest, so please get your file in on time.

HIM!?!?!?

Possible Mystic Mistake, no contest topic is full without one. :)

Ugh, I'll try to get one in...but yeah, school...:/

Har, that mistake is OLD. I haven't touched that paragraph in months, probably around a year.

I doubt I'll be participating unless I get some s00pur awsum idea a month before the deadline, as I'll be working hard on the Single Player portion of Chaotic Darkness and I dare NOT submit many Single Player stages to a contest.

I'm trying to learn how to make levels, so if I get any good ideas I might make one, but it would probably go into my nitro wad first.

Anybody think any of the levels I made so far are good?

I want to know because, if I never released any of them and entered them here I won't waste my time geting all zeros..

Once again, I'll say I'm gonna make a map for the contest, then I'll completely forget about it and play WoW.

I might submit an old map of mine... Anyone remember beach battle? Yeah, that but fixed. It's coming out good too :mrgreen: .

sonicfreak94 said:
I might submit an old map of mine... Anyone remember beach battle? Yeah, that but fixed. It's coming out good too :mrgreen: .

If it's already released, you can't submit it.

If you'll kindly notice, GCFreak's contest SP level was edited/expanded off of one of his older released levels.

BlueZero4 said:
If you'll kindly notice, GCFreak's contest SP level was edited/expanded off of one of his older released levels.

It was not released. It was a hidden level, only placed in my pack so I could test it and stuff.

Honestly, BlueZero, if it matters so much that it shouldn't have gotten in, PM Mystic complaining (although don't be surprised if he basically says "So what?"). I'd greatly appreciate you NOT stoop to name-calling. We clear?

I'll say this, as what Mystic has said: "The only real reason why that rule is in place is so that people don't repeatedly submit the same level in every contest that comes by."

Honestly, unless your level was a really big release here in the forums or IRC, or was in a previous contest, then it's fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back