Official Level Design Contest Voting: March-April 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Welcome to the March-April 2007 contest voting. Just from my initial playability check this looks better.

The voting works as follows: Play a few games of the stage in question, in the intended gametype for judging, and give the map a vote from 0 to 10, no decimals. You can not vote on your own map. Votes where the voter obviously did not play the level in its intended gametype will be discarded. To encourage voting, if you are an author and you judge all of the competitor's maps, the lowest score on your map will be dropped. Please be as unbiased as possible for the author or the look of the map. It's all about how good the map plays, nothing else.

Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.

Judging will end May 8th at midnight GMT (May 7th, 7:00 PM EST). The scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score is the winner.

The maps follow:

Single Player:
Molten Core Zone by GCFreak - 3,907 KB
Doomsday Zone by Kaysakado - 4,429 KB

Match/CTF/Circuit Contest Level Pack - 1,033 KB

Match:
MAPA1 - Sand Temple Zone by Roboegg99
MAPA2 - Pirate Ship Zone by Torgo
MAPA3 - Industrial Sync Zone by Some guy
MAPA4 - Hell Angel Zone Act 2 by Sonict
MAPA5 - Fort Eltsac Zone by Shadow Hog

Capture the Flag:
MAPA6 - Amber Fortress Zone by CZ64
MAPA7 - Concrete Stronghold Zone by Some guy
MAPA8 - Subterranean Caves Zone by Oogaland

Circuit:
MAPA9 - Generic Greens Zone by SRB2-Playah
MAPAA - Noxious Wood Zone by SRB2-Playah
MAPAB - Sandopolis Zone by JJames19119
MAPAC - Elemental Ring Zone by JJames19119
MAPAD - Flying Battery Zone by JJames19119
MAPAE - Pipedream Zone by .hack
MAPAF - Magma Mines Zone by SRB2-Playah
MAPAG - Mario Race Zone by Sonict
MAPAH - The Awesumest Race Zone by Sonict
MAPAI - Desert Palace Zone by JMS
MAPAJ - Battle Woods Zone Act 2 by Glaber

Note that the map numbers have been moved to try to prevent any contradictions like we've had in the past. Please make sure to play the levels in the intended gametype, and above all, have fun judging!

Oh gosh, SRB2 playah released 2 of those on IRC. >_>

Also, that map Sonict made is souunding a lot like that thing Digiku made a bit back.

Edit: And GCFreak's map was an edit of one of his older maps! Does that mean I can submit one of my maps improved vastly?

What? Why isn't my maps in there? I sent them in. Could I send it in again quickly? Or is there something wrong with them?

EDIT: Never mind I will check whats wrong with them and wait another two months.
EDIT#2: I checked my maps and I couldn't find anything wrong.

Single Player:
Doomsday Zone 3/10
It is a vary shot level. It only took me like less then 20 seconds to finish.

Molten Core Zone 8/10
This level was great. The way the lights would flash in areas with lava was kinda cool.

Due to circumstances wildly out of my control, I can't really judge the Match stages. But hey, SP is fair game, so...

Molten Core: 5/10
Okay, I'm not going to lie... this had potential. Good potential. It's just there are enough problems here to seriously detract from the map. Good examples include inescapable traps (like the opening: that door shuts in front of you before you even know what's happening, and you can't kill yourself to reset things if you get stuck), occasionally broken traps (one of the pits filling up with lava only has lava-textured water in it), fairly linear level design, and, worst of all... turrets. Turrets in wide, open areas. Over lava. Big no-no. It could've been worse... but it could've been much, much more.

Doomsday Zone: 1/10
Absolutely terrible. You have incredibly limited control of Super Sonic, amplified by the fact it's in 2D. Now have yourself jumping from platform to platform, only the platforms are tiny, and you're zoomed in so far that you can't tell where each platform is. Easy to overshoot, those. Now add that if you miss, you die. No second chances outside of having another life... and there aren't any 1Ups in sight. Absolutely awful.

Wow! This is earlier than I expected.

Edit: Medivo issue resolved on IRC. Medivo will be in the next contest.

BlueZero4 said:
Oh gosh, SRB2 playah released 2 of those on IRC. >_>
For testing. They were put there so I could test them for the contest. :[

Anyway.

-Match maps-
MAPA1 Sand Temple Zone by Roboegg99
3/10
Large areas with low ring counts, lack of decoration, and lava pits that break the flow of match.
Try making your areas a bit smaller, decorate a bit, and use less lava pits.

MAPA2 Pirate Ship Zone by Torgo
5/10
Not horrible. The concept was original, and there were enough rings to go around. But it could have used more decoration and a bit more size and variety. It didn't look like a whole lot of effort went into it. But I can see this going somewhere.

MAPA3 Industrial Sync Zone by Some guy
8/10
Great map. The windy tubes were clever. It was pretty well decorated. I can think of no real flaws with it.

MAPA4 Hell Angel Zone Act 2 by Sonict
7/10
Really nice map. I did like the FOFs. No real flaws I can think of...

MAPA5 Fort Eltsac Zone by Shadow Hog
9/10
This is my favorite map of the bunch. It looked very nice, and played quite nice. I liked the decoration, and the diffrent textures were a nice break from GFZROCK and FLOOR0_6. No appearent flaws.

I'll do the rest o' dems later... I'm bushed right now.

SP:

Molten Core Zone by GCFreak
Ok, this map was kinda hard to decide, first it gives me horrid design and bad placed turrets, and then gives me a good level. What to say? OK, I'll start:
First, when you start the level, a door closes right next to you. Die, and the trap won't restart. Ouch. Still, it ain't that much of a problem, it's right at the start. So whatever, start again, and well. Another problem is that you get to spindash through a small gap, whatever, you do it. Then you can't see what's next. Jump and bam, lava. And after that I fell. And fell...fell. Yaknow, this pit could have been a lil higher. Whatever, moving on, we get to some springs. Eww, this part is sucky, and kinda boring. Then you get to a frustrating part. A turret is shooting at you, while you jump from a series of platforms in not too shallow lava. You fall = Death. The worst is that you don't get ANY cover on the first platform. So you gotta run through it like a blazing car. IF you manage to do it, you get to a springloaded stair, which when you get to the top, you're going to get hit by a turret.
Whatever, after that, the level is amazing, having an excellent usage of floating platforms, platforming, and continiously falling lava. It's a shame something like this got overshadowed by the first half.
BTW, some lava isn't tagged to have fire damage, or any damage at all.
Minor 3/10

Doomsday Zone by Kaysakado
How to say it? 2D DOESN'T WORK WITH SRB2. Not for any technical trouble or anything, it's just that it's not fun, or anything, not even a good design might help. And this isn't good design anyways. Sonic is too fast for the size of this levels, you can't see what's next! Maybe a SOC with a camera distance, AND ENORMOUS levels might be the only way around. And still it would suck, now, for the actual review:
This is bad. Bad design. Bad idea. And you HAD to use The Doomsday Zone music? It wasn't needed. It made the 10 second level 4 frikkin MB.
Anyways. It's hard to see where to go next. Th sign says fly, I go at full speed holding Spin, only to crash into a wall and fall to my doom.
Micro 1/10

---------

CTF:

MAPA6 - Amber Fortress Zone by CZ64
This map was awesome. The size, the base design, and the cavern in the middle doesn't need any extra paths. It's so well designed, that only ones skilled enough can get through in a blaze, from one base, to the other.
It could have used some extra Y movement, aside of that auto-ring. Maybe some other platfrom, but it's ok.
9/10 Rarely, great

MAPA7 - Concrete Stronghold Zone by Some guy
I remember Some guy making some of the most complex, and detailed maps, egg palace was one of them, I still have good memories. Whatever, This map was no less what I expected. It's pretty detailed, lots of alternate paths, and you really feel you're attacking an enemy base. The only problem, is that with that many paths, at first time you can get lost. There is one under the ground, over some pipes, on some tunnel like with lights, and even teleporters. All those Alt paths could have been very good if there were like 10 people, but since there were 6, some of them weren't transited that much. Specially the one underground over a pit.
Still, a fun map when you get to know where you go. Another problem are the boxes on the flag area. Someone could hide, and get you before you could even dare take the flag back. Pretty fun.
8/10 Great

MAPA8 - Subterranean Caves Zone by Oogaland
Well, I really didn't enjoy this one. The thing is, it was pretty cramped in some areas, and big in others that weren't that much used. Getting to the flag was kinda hard if somebody gets the auto, and shoots you from those little holes in the wall. AND if you get the AUTO+INFINITE. Bam, you rule in small corridors. I really didn't enjoy this one.
4/10 Light

BTW, remember to give average maps 5/10, not 7/10. Use the richter scale as a reference.

mariosonic said:
What? Why isn't my maps in there? I sent them in. Could I send it in again quickly? Or is there something wrong with them?

EDIT: Never mind I will check whats wrong with them and wait another two months.
EDIT#2: I checked my maps and I couldn't find anything wrong.

My guess is they were sent in march and got skipped.

Glaber, it's actually far more likely that he was one of the 5-6 people who sent in maps with some kind of free host, and the file had long since expired by the time the contest came around.

SINGLE PLAYER
Molten Core Zone by GCFreak - 3,907 KB - 6/10
Its an alright zone, but it needs more checkpoints and the glitch from the start should be fixed.

Doomsday Zone by Kaysakado - 4,429 KB - 0/10
Wow, just horrible. Its not that 2d mode doesn't work well, its the fact that the layout is horrid.

MATCH

MAPA1 Sand Temple Zone by Roboegg99 - 1/10
Agh, not much visual cues of lava, and not good ring placement. Just overall horrible.

MAPA2 Pirate Ship Zone by Torgo - NA
I had noticed some graphical flaws after I sent it (the flag for one). It was a good original idea. I probably should have tested it more, and put some obstacles.

MAPA3 Industrial Sync Zone by Some guy - 7/10
Its a very nice level, its nice and open and the scenery is nice. There is a glitch when you get hit in the wind tube and you can't get out because you are stuck in the hurt animation.

MAPA4 - Hell Angel Zone Act 2 by Sonict - 6/10
Its an alright map, I think the crushers are not a good idea. It felt like it needed something else.

MAPA5 - Fort Eltsac Zone by Shadow Hog - 9/10
This zone is a very nice zone, I initially thought it was too big, but I think it is a good size. I don't see any glaring flaws in this one.

CIRCUIT

MAPA9 - Generic Greens Zone by SRB2-Playah - 8/10
Its a nice level overall. Sometimes the platforms can be annoying under lag.

MAPAA - Noxious Wood Zone by SRB2-Playah - 6/10
Somewhat confusing level, the scenery was good, but I think some different texture might be good.

MAPAB - Sandopolis Zone by JJames19119 - 7/10
I liked the flow of this level, and it felt like a good circuit level. I think this theme is a bit overdone though.

MAPAC - Elemental Ring Zone by JJames19119 - 4/10
This level was too long, not to mention pretty bland in obstacles.

MAPAD - Flying Battery Zone by JJames19119 - 2/10
Um, this level did NOT feel like Flying Battery zone at all. It was really bland and the obstacles were badly done.

MAPAE - Pipedream Zone by .hack - 3/10
It was pretty bland, and some of the checkpoints were a bit bugged.

MAPAF - Magma Mines Zone by SRB2-Playah - 6/10
This zone was a good zone, but there was a huge annoyance involving the lava. One part was way too deep, and cause quite a few cheap deaths.

MAPAG - Mario Race Zone by Sonict - 7/10
Its a very nice stage, but I think there could have been some coins to make it feel more like mario. The music change was a nice touch.

MAPAH - The Awesumest Race Zone by Sonict - 0/10
This is a joke right?.... Please tell me its a joke.

MAPAI - Desert Palace Zone by JMS - 1/10
This had really glitchy starposts and some of the obstacles felt weird.

MAPAJ - Battle Woods Zone Act 2 by Glaber - 1/10
This was better than act 1, but still very horrible for circuit. Modify the scenery a bit, and the level, and it could be an ok single player map.

CTF
MAPA6 - Amber Fortress Zone by CZ64 - 9/10
A very nice level. I loved the scenery and the overall flow of the level.

MAPA7 - Concrete Stronghold Zone by Some guy - 3/10
This map had a glaring flaw, the fact that the flag was hard to find.
I thought it was a bit too large.

MAPA8 - Subterranean Caves Zone by Oogaland - 7/10
Also a very nice map, I liked the use of extra paths in this zone. The flag area was cramped though.

Overall, it was not a bad of a contest this time. Some of the match levels could have been better (including mine). At least they were more enjoyable then the last contest.

I am glad I entered this time. I think I might have a better understanding of what should go into a match map.

Mystic said:
Glaber, it's actually far more likely that he was one of the 5-6 people who sent in maps with some kind of free host, and the file had long since expired by the time the contest came around.
So does that mean the only time you check your email is once every 2 months?

Chaos Zero 64 said:
So does that mean the only time you check your email is once every 2 months?
It's a LITTLE more frequent than that, but not much. I do _not_ compile all the files together when submitted, though, they're all downloaded and set up the day I compile the contest WAD, so if your link doesn't work at the time I'm making the file, you're out of luck.

Well I said I was guessing.

Any way now for the reviews
Molten Core Zone by GCFreak: Aw man. What were you thinking? Starting off the level with no way to restart if you get trapped? The level starts to get better from here but it looked like this would be a nightmare for sonic. At one point I ran into a lava fall area with a big and wide pit. Near the end with the falling lava I actually didn't get hurt wen I sliped into one of the falls. after extending this the new rating is 4 / 10
First impressions mean alot.

Doomsday Zone by Kaysakado I didn't think I'd find anything worse than Battle Woods the contest series, but I did in this stage. First off it's a 2d level but that's not the complaint (I'm pro 2d), The level only scrolls one way and It's hard to see where to go. Even with the signs. 1/10 only because of the master emerald.

glaber said:
Well I said I was guessing.

Any way now for the reviews
Molten Core Zone by GCFreak: Aw man. What were you thinking? Starting off the level with no way to restart if you get trapped? I can't sy I'm sorry for this. 0 / 10
Doomsday Zone by Kaysakado I didn't think I'd find anything worse than Battle Woods the contest series, but I did in this stage. First off it's a 2d level but that's not the complaint (I'm pro 2d), The level only scrolls one way and It's hard to see where to go. Even with the signs. 1/10 only because of the master emerald.

>_> Play through the entire level.

BlueZero4 said:
Edit: And GCFreak's map was an edit of one of his older maps! Does that mean I can submit one of my maps improved vastly?

I was beta testing the old version, and the old version wasn't even done yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back