Official Level Design Contest: May/June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Welcome to the official level design contest topic. Please read the following if you're interested in entering the contest or are just curious as to what the rules and regulations are.

There are three divisions, match, capture the flag and single player. Here are the important parts of each type, for those who would like the specifics:

Match stages are arenas for players to fight. 32 deathmatch starts are necessary to randomize the spawning, but if the stage loads and runs okay, it’s an acceptable entry for the match contest. You should also have a Player 1 Start to keep the level from crashing if loaded improperly.

Capture the Flag stages are arenas for two teams to battle it out. They must include a red team and blue team base with a flag, and should include 32 deathmatch and 16 red and blue team starts. There should also be a Player 1 Start to keep the level from crashing if loaded improperly. It is generally better to make the map symmetrical to be absolutely sure that it is fair for both teams.

Single Player stages are designed to play in 1 player, and have to include a start and end, and obstacles in the way. Generally, it’s a good idea to give the map support for Cooperative and Race mode, but it’s not necessary.

The full rules of the contest are as follows:

1. All levels must work correctly in their selected mode. Support for other modes is suggested, but not required. Levels will be judged in Match, Capture the Flag or Single Player, depending on the contest you’re entering.
2. The map may not have been publicly released before. In other words, if you have released the level on the Addons section or on the forums or IRC channel, you may not enter it. However, if it’s unreleased, that is just as good as being completely new, and is a legal entry.
3. The map has to be your own work. If you base it on another map, that's fine, but a straight port or slight modifications are against the rules.

For the match and capture the flag contest, there is another rule in place:

4. Custom textures, music, SOCs, and other lumps other than a header and the map itself are not allowed in the Match and Capture the Flag contests. Match levels are going to be combined into a single WAD file, so in the interest in getting the entries out on time, you have to be creative with what you have.

Submissions are to be sent to my e-mail at mystic@srb2.org.

Submissions need to have "Contest Submission - May/June" as the subject line, and contain the name of the stage, your nickname, and the contest you are submitting the map to in the e-mail body. For multiple maps in one e-mail, make sure to put the information for each map included. I prefer attachments, but links in the body of the e-mail are also alright. Note that maps that are considered unplayable will be rejected.

The contest submissions period ends on July 1st, 2006 at 12:00 AM GMT. (June 30th, 2006 at 7:00 PM EST). Any submissions that are late will be possible to get in if you get them to me before the judging starts, but if you’re late, you’re taking a risk that you might have to wait for the next contest, so please get your file in on time.

Judging will consist of voting on the message board. Any member can vote, giving a number for each map from 0 to 10, zero being the most abysmal piece of crap ever, and ten being total perfection. You cannot vote on your own map. To encourage voting, if an entrant votes on everyone else’s map in the contest they are entered in, the lowest score on all of their entries will be dropped. (Example: If someone enters a single player map and votes on all the other single player maps, their lowest score is dropped.)

Judging will start the instant the files are uploaded, and continue until a week after they were uploaded. The exact time when voting will end will be shown when the files are uploaded. At that point, all votes will be averaged and the map with the highest average in each category will be declared the winner.

The section on the Addons section for showing contest winners is under revision, but the winners will get special treatment on the website.

All entries are welcome, from beginners to advanced level designers. Even if you don’t win, this is an excellent way to get feedback on your stage to help improve. Collaborations are allowed, and testing is encouraged strongly.

hmm...

Well now, 2 months of fun! ... even though nobeody will do anything until the last week ;P.

oh well, I might make something special, I might not... We'll see.

KingofFlames said:
Say Mystic...is it all right if I put in my converted Heretic textures for this? as Space Fortress 1 uses them...
You can use custom textures in the single player competition, but I'd remind you that using Heretic textures is technically a copyright violation. Personally I'd suggest finding free ones or making your own.

Great.....

I finnally made a big nice looking level with the rings fixed and bugs removed. Now, the wad somehow got deleted when I was sending it. I hope it still arives, as I've been busy a lot of time for this one.

Mystic said:
KingofFlames said:
Say Mystic...is it all right if I put in my converted Heretic textures for this? as Space Fortress 1 uses them...
You can use custom textures in the single player competition, but I'd remind you that using Heretic textures is technically a copyright violation. Personally I'd suggest finding free ones or making your own.
Heretic and Hexen textures get ripped all the time, what's the big deal? :P

KingofFlames said:
Mystic said:
KingofFlames said:
Heretic and Hexen textures get ripped all the time, what's the big deal? :P
Personally, I couldn't care less. I'm just saying. You can do it all you want, it's just better not to. It's still a legal entry.

Yeah, seriously man. If I could submit Castle Wolfenstein Zone way back when (which practically replicates E1M1), what'd stop you from doing this? I mean, I don't think id cares, unless you're remaking the entire bloody game in SRB2. Somehow.

Er... tyhis isn't really worth making a new topic about, and it does have to do with my contest entry. When I first start up the map, there's a small part of it that has the ground displayed as F_SKY1, but it's not even the whole sector and there's nothing wrong with it otherwise. Any help?

Are you using OpenGL? If so, ZenNode it; your problem is that the nodes for OpenGL are messed up.

It's a common problem, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back