Was there an announcement? (Forum issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaber

Emblem Radar Ready
What's going on with the forum's layout? I was just browsing through when I click the logo and bam!, layout change.

I know, new layout. Also, where the heck is the announcements?!

EDIT: Got the announcements, but there is no new announcements.

Link - Announcements
I'll put it in my sig until the problem(?) is resolved.

Last edited:
<Bigboi> what the **** did you guys just do
<Bigboi> change it back
<Mystic> The hell?
<Bigboi> On the message board.
<Bigboi> Maybe it's something I did. SRB2 Discussion is on top of Off-Topic discussion
<Mystic> We're tinkering.
<Bigboi> well I don't like it :(
<Mystic> Announcements was removed, reworking the order while we're at it
<Mystic> Oh well? =P
<Mystic> You'll get used to it

<Bigboi> what the **** did you guys just do
<Bigboi> change it back
<Mystic> The hell?
<Bigboi> On the message board.
<Bigboi> Maybe it's something I did. SRB2 Discussion is on top of Off-Topic discussion
<Mystic> We're tinkering.
<Bigboi> well I don't like it :(
<Mystic> Announcements was removed, reworking the order while we're at it
<Mystic> Oh well? =P
<Mystic> You'll get used to it

Oh. I had no clue.

I don't see why an announcement is necessary. It's pretty obvious what I did.

As for the reasoning, the point is to place all the important parts of the forum at the top, so new users don't have to scroll down to find the material they're looking for. Honestly, our layout didn't make sense at this point. It used to have Off-Topic at the top for reasons which no longer apply, and Releases took up a massive amount of space to fit all the categories.

I suspect the changes will take a bit to get used to, considering we kinda messed with the order of some things we haven't messed with in years. I do think this'll work out better long-term, though.

Finally, the Releases section is now a subforum. The forum was moved from phpbb to allow subforums, and it actually took this long to realize it. Nice.

Well, I realized I could do it originally, I just didn't want to deal with the issue of setting up "Releases" as a forum itself that you could post in. I sorta fixed it, but it's still entirely possible for mods and such to post there. Still better than the old method, though.

A genuine attempt to analyze the new forum structure without carping or complaining

As you can see from the title, I want to outline the cons of the new system. But please bear these things in mind:

1. Usually when a forum member does this, it ends up sounding whiny and immature. I really, genuinely don't want to come across like that, so if I do, I'm sorry. I just want to outline my likes and dislikes in a constructive manner.
2. I am aware that it's all still in an experimental phase.

Well, here are my main negative points:

1. When there's an announcements forum, I can see right away that the Administrators have something important to say. With global announcements, it's not immediately obvious...you have to be looking in the right place to see it. I just wish that the new system wasn't less visible, that's all.
2. When you have a bunch of subcategories, you need to open the master category to see what it is. When everything is just all on one page, you can see at a glance where the new topic or post is. That was one of the reasons why I was opposed to lumping Editing Help in with Editing.

I've also got some positive points, too, however:

1. I like how the topics have now been rearranged so that SRB2-oriented forums are listed first--it serves to underline the fact that this place is, at its core, about SRB2.
2. It is a bit easier to scroll through everything.

Do you guys agree? Disagree?

I can't say I'm too fond on making the sub-forums in releases like that either, I like to know what's there, to be honest. :/

I can't say I'm too fond on making the sub-forums in releases like that either, I like to know what's there, to be honest. :/
This is my main complaint.

Other than that, I don't like how announcements are handled now, but that's all.

Well, the astronomical benefit to the new announcements system is that we no longer have children coming and bumping announcements about the curse filter written in 2007. To be honest, we have very few announcements around here anyways, we don't need a separate forum for them.

As to the Releases section, give it some time. We're all just used to the way things used to be; lets discuss this after everyone's gotten over the "the hell everything's moved around" phase. I've said it a lot, you can still see which subforums have new posts by the icon next to their name.

The main problem is that you modified the forum then stated openly discussing it, when you should discuss first and change everything around if it is approved.
I still say the administration sucks because of that. Freaking tirany.

The above post makes me laugh out loud.

What you really mean is that we didn't discuss such changes with YOU. We weren't aiming such changes at you; we made the changes to make it easier for a new user to find what he wants. I don't see how your opinion really fits into this equation, to be blunt. That's why you weren't asked.

If I made a poll on the forums with the subject "Should we change X?", the answer will always result in a majority for "No." This is because nobody really likes change. It's annoying and disruptive. The reality is that it's also sometimes necessary to improve things for the long-term.

This does not make us Nazis or whatever else you wanna call us. We're just doing our jobs.

That's not how a administrator should work, period.
The community always should be consulted before any major change is done because the community IS THE FREAKING POINT OF A FORUM. If you don't have time/don't care about what the community thinks, why the heck you started it on the first place? Just shut the forum down and stop wasting time, money, and bandwidth! I'm sure there are people around there who can start a better MB :<

EDIT: Actually, _I_ should stop complaining about the administration, since it isn't going to do jack anyway =P

@Kaysakado: No, you should change the mentality community first. But the admins here already said that they don't have time to "babysit their users", so it isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
What if most of the community sucks, then should you listen to them and cause the good members to get pissed?

EDIT: btw we're laughing at you on irc ^w^

Last edited:
Can I get involved? PLEEEEASE!?

Er-hem. Sonic Shadow, just drop it already. You're arguing with a site Administrator. Who has more power on this Message Board, you or him? Seriously. And if you think you can start a better MB then, by all means, go right ahead. No guarantees people will come flocking to it, because this is the main SRB2 community focus, and has been for a long time. It'd be funny to see you try though, I have to admit. SRB2MB vs Third-Party SRB2 site. Which one will come out on top? MUAHA.

But, seriously dude, stop complaining. I don't like it that much but sometimes change makes things much more efficient, so I'm fine with it. It's just a layout change with sub-forums and the like now, re-organized to be more lenient towards the SRB2-based forums. I think it's better because it now shows what the main focus of the forum is - SRB2, with all those pretty little places off to the side.

'Nuff said.

Actually, BlazingPhoenix, it's a lot simpler than that. I'm not arbitrarily changing the forum index layout for my own personal amusement.

My job, Sonic Shadow, is to make the majority of the forum users (the community) happy over the long term. You're confusing that with me going out of my way to make YOU happy, which is completely incorrect. I couldn't care less what an individual user thinks about my actions; it's completely unimportant. After all, someone I ban from the message board isn't exactly going to be happy with the way I run things, but if banning that person makes the rest of the forum better, it's still beneficial to the forum as a whole.

Doing this forum index change will, over the long term, be beneficial to the forums as a whole. Maybe not you, but I couldn't care less what a single person thinks. Now, in a couple of weeks if the majority of the forum still doesn't like it, then we can sit down and move them around again until it IS functional for the majority of the userbase.

So stop raving hilariously retarded bull **** on my forums, please. If you seriously think you can do better, be my guest. There's tons of free forum software available for you to try. I suggest against PHPBB2, though ^_~

Er-hem. Sonic Shadow, just drop it already. You're arguing with a site Administrator. Who has more power on this Message Board, you or him? Seriously. And if you think you can start a better MB then, by all means, go right ahead. No guarantees people will come flocking to it, because this is the main SRB2 community focus, and has been for a long time. It'd be funny to see you try though, I have to admit. SRB2MB vs Third-Party SRB2 site. Which one will come out on top? MUAHA.
He can go ahead and argue against me. I don't ban people for having a different opinion than me. I ban people for breaking the rules.

Just so you know, there have been many people before who have ranted exactly as he did and have actually made their own forum. None of those forums are alive anymore because running a forum is always a lot harder than these idiots seem to think it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back