Metroid: The Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shows a lot, actually. The voice actor for Samus isn't the type I imagined, but she certainly sounds like they can do a good job with it, and she sounds mature, which is absolutely the most important, IMO.

I still don't really want to know much about Samus's backstory, but hopefully they'll do a good job with it regardless.

Warning: Metriod Fusion Spoiler incoming

Personaly, I hope we end up finding out what happened to Adam (The guy who said "Any objections, Lady?") before Fusion took place.

Considering the attention they gave Super Metroid's ending, I'd be greatly surprised if they DIDNT make a big deal out of that. I do hope that they still keep those post-apocalyptic lore fragments that you could scan in the Metroid Prime series... it would be even better if Samus could READ it. Possibly the best part about Aquaria was that the voice actor did such a good job telling the backstories of the ruined civilizations you run into. I can only imagine how tragic Elysia's story would sound as told by Samus.

IGN: You also mentioned that Metroid Other M was originally to be an on-rails design. How far into the design did that change to what we're playing now?

Sakamoto: I want to clarify, I've seen lots of news stories out there that misinterpreted what I said about the on-rails part and may have gotten the wrong idea. What I meant, in the original concept, Samus could move back and forth but only on a fixed path, not that it was automatic movement forward constantly like in rail shooters...

IGN: Oh, I knew what you meant when you said it. I pictured in my mind something similar to, say, Klonoa, where you're on a fixed path and the 3D environment moves around you…

Sakamoto: Ah, yes, Klonoa! Right. You got it. (laughs) I wanted to stick with the D-pad control scheme, and it was Team Ninja that found an interesting way to manage D-pad only movement in a 3D environment, and we were able to move away from that early design concept. This happened very early on, a very early stage in development.
SOURCE

So the Kotaku drama article about M-OM being an on-rails shooter before Team Ninja came in and fixed Nintendo's messed up thinking was just that... drama. I picked up on the mistranslation ages ago, just as I did for the Unleashed 2 announcement that Kotaku published, but here we have it from the horse's mouth.

Reading the IGN impressions, it seems like the only thing they agree on is that its very clearly shooting for a Super Metroid feel. Some think that its trying to be at too many opposing ends at once (casual vs hardcore, cinematics vs gameplay, 2desque platforming vs first person, etc), others think its just the right balance. They have opposing views of the voice actors, the game's direction, et cetera.

And seeing as that's what's consistent, I'm looking forward to this!

Yeah, the gameplay speed is really appealing in that trailer. Whole thing actually looks a lot better than I imagined. Hope it plays as good as it looks.

This... looks like an excellent game.

Oh my... I'm really excited now. This is in insane amounts of epic here.

I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Just hope it isn't Sonic Unleashed...... (Where the game hypes itself and you realize how bad it is)

Here is our clips of the very awesome fast clips.
Game released
Oops... forgot to tell you that Werehog sucks hard.

I dunno, it looks meh. I'm a hard core metroid fan(in a way), and I think they might overdo the whole 2D/3D interpretation. Looks good, just hope they don't overdo it.

I'm actually glad it has been delayed. For one thing, a game that is delayed is more likely to be properly polished than one with a forced deadline. For another, Nintendo had a ton of games being released in a very short space of time and a two month delay will give me an opportunity to be able to afford it.

Sarcasm?

Nintendo is releasing a whole bunch of games, now I can pre-order the game while saving up money....

Wow last post was 4 months ago. Anyway, has someone here bought the game already? It'll be 10 hours for me before I get to play it, so I'm finishing up Prime 3.

This game is pretty damned awesome. Granted, it has a couple of flaws, but regardless.. It plays quite a bit like an evolved version of Super Metroid, with extremely fluid and amazing-to-look-at acrobatics, coupled with strategic, yet fast paced combat. I'm impressed with this, but I do have to admit the lack of alternate control schemes is annoying, and Samus's voice actor is a bit lifeless to me. The "look around for clues" segments are a bit irritating, mainly because they don't tell you what to look for.

Other than those negligible flaws, this game is pretty awesome from what I've played so far.

Pfft. If you think she looks like a girl in those screens, imagine if Itagaki was still at Team Ninja.

(spoilers, obviously) Well, good God almighty, they don't even need to make physical changes to ruin her character with excessive femininity.

*looking at vid* Ugh Ridley... the most annoying villain in the series that just doesn't know how to stay dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back