Suggestions

Why not add the "Dark_Blue" color back? You added black back, why not dark blue?
You even have the colors for the dark blue palette.

On top of that, I think you should be able to edit palettes for specific colors, like, a palette mod for each color that the character can be, or at least a custom palette flag for specific characters only.

Small change of subject from the color discussion.

Why don't we tie the special stages to their corresponding zone? This way you can't go to the THZ special stage by collecting the token in GFZ2, which would be a little game-ruining for new players, I'd think. As well, then we couldn't (as I do) exploit the easy token in GFZ1 for getting all the emeralds, which, while fine in 2.0/older's special stages, is totally consistency-breaking.

It would increase the game's consistency and challenge (I've never collected an emerald token outside of GFZ EVER), especially with the zone-themed special stages.

Getting a token in a zone who's special stage you've completed would give you the guilt-free 50 rings, same as if you'd collected the emeralds before.

I just think it'd be better for the themed special stages and whatnot, but there's probably a reason for why it is the way it is...

Also, 2nding NiGHTS sprites for Tails and Knux.

EDIT: Don't know why I didn't think of this until now. Can we change the button combination for going super? It's really annoying to be playing a stage normally and then thok and suddenly turn super. It's a level-breaking special, which is fine, but sometimes I just want to play the stages normally...

Last edited:
Small change of subject from the color discussion.

Why don't we tie the special stages to their corresponding zone? This way you can't go to the THZ special stage by collecting the token in GFZ2, which would be a little game-ruining for new players, I'd think. As well, then we couldn't (as I do) exploit the easy token in GFZ1 for getting all the emeralds, which, while fine in 2.0/older's special stages, is totally consistency-breaking.

It would increase the game's consistency and challenge (I've never collected an emerald token outside of GFZ EVER), especially with the zone-themed special stages.

Getting a token in a zone who's special stage you've completed would give you the guilt-free 50 rings, same as if you'd collected the emeralds before.

I just think it'd be better for the themed special stages and whatnot, but there's probably a reason for why it is the way it is...
I don't exactly like this idea. While I do understand your reasoning behind it, it means that the levels are more designed to utilize less exploration than the game currently offers, which is not the intent. In fact, if memory serves, even the S3K games did this.

What if the special stages were boss fights?
I sorta like that idea X3.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

I don't exactly like this idea. While I do understand your reasoning behind it, it means that the levels are more designed to utilize less exploration than the game currently offers, which is not the intent. In fact, if memory serves, even the S3K games did this.
But S3K's special stages were NOT themed.

I don't exactly like this idea. While I do understand your reasoning behind it, it means that the levels are more designed to utilize less exploration than the game currently offers, which is not the intent.

I don't understand your point about less exploration. Could you elaborate a bit?

In fact, if memory serves, even the S3K games did this.

Yeah, but its special stages weren't zone-themed. IIRC, they were randomized, even, giving you a random stage upon entry from any zone.

EDIT: ninja'd by Phil

EDIT2: And I am reminded of the previous discussion of this very thread where we determined that just because the classics do it doesn't mean SRB2 should do it. The style of these special stages (themed, going super) basically determines that this is one of those cases anyway. The blue spheres were used because they work (and quite well!), not just because that's what S3K did.

Last edited:
Well gosh darn. At least that explains why I thought they were randomized...oh well.

Anyway, that theming is abstract at best, especially the ones in S&K. I don't think that level of theming is enough to qualify stage linking and it's almost unnoticeable unless you're looking for it. SRB2's stages are obviously themed, which is where my argument comes from.

That seems like a bit of a stretch. It's more likely that they just use a common palette because that's what was available.

The S&K one? Yeah, I can see why you'd think that.

The S3 one? It matches a little too well, don't you think, for it to not be intentional. At least when Flying Battery was still part of S3.

I don't think that level of theming is enough to qualify stage linking and it's almost unnoticeable unless you're looking for it. SRB2's stages are obviously themed, which is where my argument comes from.
I didn't really mean it as a counterargument, I just like pointing out cool trivia that most people probably don't know about.

That seems like a bit of a stretch. It's more likely that they just use a common palette because that's what was available.
I didn't author those pictures, and I don't necessarily agree with all of it. I've always thought the orange/blue is a closer match to Sandopolis 1 than anything, and #3 and #7 are a bit of a stretch. But there's really no denying that the seven palettes in Sonic 3 are a match for the game's first seven stages (before Flying Battery got relocated, anyway).

Last edited:
What if we went for the whole 1 special stage per zone. First time you go to the special stage of that zone and you get the emerald, if you don't have the emerald when you go back to the same zone's special stage from collecting another token you get another try, otherwise it's a bonus stage where you just rack up points for continues/lives.

there should be a wad that allows the other characters besides (including custom ones like metal sonic) to go super in single player, maybe you could make the game believe you're character's in CTF mode, and the emeralds are the ones from CTF or match even though you're in single player, if you can change the games source code you could probably switch those around and maybe make super monitors, though I don't know a thing about LUA or the source code.

What if we went for the whole 1 special stage per zone. First time you go to the special stage of that zone and you get the emerald, if you don't have the emerald when you go back to the same zone's special stage from collecting another token you get another try, otherwise it's a bonus stage where you just rack up points for continues/lives.

I think that this idea sounds nice, but I wonder what would happen if one completely fails to get one zone's emerald. The idea of one special stage per zone seems to imply that you always get the desired emerald at least at your second/bonus attempt. :/

Not quite. (S&K's got a bit scrambled when the level order got shuffled around.)
You just completely blew my 9 year old self's mind. I played S3K to absolute death and never noticed.

I don't think the theming is a major issue considering most first-time players won't be able to advance in the special stages past their own progress, and those that do are spending a lot of time hunting down tokens and should be rewarded anyways.

Excuse me for going off topic, but why do both S3 and S&K have eight special stages instead of seven? Am I missing something?

On topic: I agree that first time players probably won't be able to see for example Toxic Plateau before getting to THZ. However, it seems kinda strange aesthetically, especially later. Getting to Toxic Plateau in GFZ wouldn't be that bad, but getting to Egg Satellite in Arid Canyon is a bit too strange to be possible, I think, because that is an "artificial" level, not a nature level.

On the topic of emerald tokens and special stages, I believe you should do what you've done with one of the first emblems for the first token and make it right out in the open somewhere.
I know that the first token is very easy to find, but if you go through the game without exploring much, you could end up completely oblivious that there even are special stages to hunt out.

Although, for another thought, it may be better to try and go the Sonic 3 route in regards to the tokens. That is, hiding the first one or so, but making it so that the level design pushes you towards finding it without much effort of your own.

This way, at least new players have a good chance of knowing that special stages are indeed in SRB2.

I know what you mean there sryder, the first one in AIZ2 is a prime example of encouraging the player to understand there are emeralds in the game, that one is basically unavoidable, though to be fair, srb2's emeralds are currently still purely for extras, whereas S3&K had the doomsday zone.

PNG = LARGE
I'm pretty confident this is not at all the case - at least, when I do graphic work for WADs, Doom or SRB2, and convert away from PNG and into Doom Patch Format, the latter format's always larger.

Honestly, support for PNG textures, even in software mode (albeit there it'd have to be converted to the palette being used, similar to how ZDoom does it), seems like a really good idea. I just have no idea where to even start with that.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back