The SRB2 Master Server (SRB2MS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hint: It doesn't. Packets have been modified way too much to make it even usable, it would actually crash your client if you tried to connect to it.

Also, works both ways, it's summer, MS admins will be on more.
Hmm... Well, I guess that works, but it just seems to be a nuisance in many ways. I mean, clocked shutdowns, ineffective servers, and hassles to both you guys, and the players. It just becomes quite complicated as time passes. Surely the MS admins would rather not have to check the MS every hour to see if it's still operating. What changes were made to the MS before you guys went up to 2.0.6? Maybe one of the changes could be undone, which in turn might fix the scheduled shutdowns. Or screw us all out of netplay...

Surely the MS admins would rather not have to check the MS every hour to see if it's still operating.

It always goes off at a certain time.

What changes were made to the MS before you guys went up to 2.0.6? Maybe one of the changes could be undone, which in turn might fix the scheduled shutdowns. Or screw us all out of netplay...

The latter, reverse any of those changes and your clients will suicide.

To be brief, it's being looked into, and we'll fix it in due course, until then, like it or lump it, the MS is a privilege not a right.

It is actually 03:12 PM, all servers are gone since 11:27 AM and when you try to connect or to create a server, it say: "There was a problem connecting to the master server ", and there wasn't any planned maintenance on the site .

Hey, I got a idea. Why don't you guys like automove the servers based on the WADs they are hosting? Like if someone adds house#.wad, they get automatically moved to the Casual room?

That isn't a good way of doing it. If there was a way of doing it, then it would be if a map does not have an exit sector, and it is being played in coop, then move it into the casual room. Even that way would cause some problems.

can't we remotely check the MD5sum of the wads?

We could, but the server wouldn't know where it was meant to go, and would keep updating with the incorrect room ID every time.

Of course, I may actually be forgetting how I actually coded the system and it may only update the room ID on the add, not the updates... =P

There's an idea... We know the approximate time of shutdown, so we can just have program check the status constantly throughout that period. As soon as it goes down, a robot finger jabs the ON button.

I'm not sure this belongs in this thread, but I didn't think that the subject matter justified its own topic.

I can't figure out how to kick players while hosting. When I want to kick Player 2, for instance, I type in "kick 2 <reason>", but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong here?

What about another MS? Remember SigServ Cafe' (whatever it was)? We used t have 2 MS's didn't we? So why not make another/backup Matser Server website? Or is it not that easy?

It'd be a matter of someone being willing to make a second server.

I recall WADBase having one, but I don't know what situation they're in at the moment.

I imagine that the idea is for the "back-up" master server to automatically be used whenever the main MS is unavailable.

Considering frequent downtimes, I can see a use for it, but again, it'd be a matter of someone being willing to devote a part of his computer or paycheck to keep the second master server up.

You can't have an 'automatic backup' because how would SRB2 know how to refer to the backup server? The bug will be fixed long before SRB2's next release, I'd hope. Why no to having a checker? Because the MS may sometimes be down for a reason and the bugger would just start it back up, not to mention the fact that sometimes the checker can return a false positive, and start up the MS when it isn't needed, etc.

On a side note, the more the MS integrates with vBulletin (it's pretty integrated right now) the less likely it is that a second MS could ever actually be created. We don't encourage alternative master servers and with good reason, the community is split up enough without having two master servers to choose from, potentially eliminating half the audience of servers.

I can tell you where Wadbase probably is, same place as SigSev (which incidentally is dead), not working with 2.0.5 and above.

EDIT: In other news, 4 day holiday with my laptop and an up to date copy of the MS and SRB2 code, so now is probably your best opportunity to give suggestions for MS related features, because I don't really have much else to do here with my lack of internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back