[Open Assets] [TikalX.wad] Surprise Release! Tikal the Echidna, finished at last.

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think only a few individuals from the SRB2 Shelter may have saw this one coming, everyone else is probably shocked and amazed. If any of you remember me before the name change (from Angelus_the_echidna to Hunter_Orion), I was working on a Tikal WAD about 2 years ago, just as I went to college. Now, a few years later, and I'm finally able to complete it and give you a release. Just so I can show the world what I've done, here's some screenshots, complimented by explanation.

Unless no one can tell, mostly what I did was improve her shading. With the new palette, a lot of her coloring was suddenly peach, and that just did not do any justice to her. While a few spots here and there are still peach for shading purposes, she is back to being orange, and changing colors properly to boot.

Man, I really wish I could have been a couple seconds faster or slower with this one but it does prove the point: Tikal has jumping frames that don't look like crap! :D These frames were very interesting to make, to say the least. But they look a lot better than the frames used in her beta.

DESCRIPTION
For those that never got the chance to play SA2, Tikal is a much faster version of Knuckles. She's superior to him in running, gliding, and climbing (But to my knowledge, this one can't be changed in SRB2). The only area she sucks in is her sensory, meaning she has to be right on top of the emerald piece to find it (much like gliding speed, this is not changeable, but at any rate it's very insignificant in SRB2 anyway). Essentially, I gave her speed one point above knuckles, but it's still enough to leave him in the dust, yet sonic can still blow her away. She glides about the rate of mecha knux, making her all around best for knuckles experts such as myself. But don't let my description of her suffice. Take her out to play for yourself.

CREDITS
Dr.Pepper--Multiple accounts of credit for him: creating the base Amy, helping with the walking frames, and in general just being the motivator in helping complete this project. Sure wish you could see the final result, man...

a cat--I actually had to do some research to find out that a cat was the one who converted the WAD in the first place. To that, I do thank you. Not only did you provide others with a converted beta, but you also made it possible for me to continue work on it.

The Sign Person--Unfortunately, whoever created the sign did not come forward, so this is the only real way I have to credit him/her. I truthfully did not have a good idea how to design the sign, since I wanted something different than the character's face, only blown up. Nice original design, Sign Person

WHAT'S NEXT?
Ah, an excellent question. I am going to be keeping an ear out for as much constructive criticism as I can, so that I may improve the WAD. I will also be working on some secret WADs, which I will reveal in due time. I will also be indulging in the newest release of MM8BDM, scheduled for tomorrow. Well, that's all for now. Whether you enjoy the WAD or not, please let me know so I can improve if it's the latter of the 2. Until next time, fare thee well *shot by RoahmMythril*

EDIT 07-10-12:
Updated the file to the more current version of her. She now doesn't run as fast, nor does she jump as high, but the speed of her glide hasn't changed at all, which in most cases should be enough, since it also is a good way to reach her top speed quickly.

Attachments

• TikalX.zip
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,478
Last edited:
MAH GAWD A TIKAL WAD FOR SRB2 2.x FOR GOD'S SAKE *Downloads*
I admit i like more non-sonic characters like Greeman, but its SONIC Robo Blast 2, so apparently 90% of the wads will be sonic-ish/from sonic

I remember this WAD. It's come a long way. The walking frames aren't perfect, but pretty good. My only complaint is the S_SKIN, which has 1.09.4 parameters in it and Tikal, atm, is quite overpowered having a high jump, speed and glide. So those are some things you bwill have to consider. Too bad there isn't a limited glide (like two seconds of glide before forced falling animation), cause then this would be quite balanced.

Wow, it's sad that the one thing I did forget to do is the easiest thing to fix. As far as balance issues, I'm having quite a hard time figuring out a good balance for her. I do agree that she is slightly overpowered with the speed glide, so maybe I can take it down a notch or two. I'll try to tamper with it a little later tonight to see what I can come up with. Jump and glide will definitely be brought down. As far as speed, I'm trying not to make her a Knuckles rip-off, despite how much she is one. Anyways, it is kinda cool that you still remember this, Violo, especially considering how deep it got buried. :D

You could try making her a bit slower than Knuckles, with the acceleration of Sonic. This way her speed glide can be used to reach her max speed faster.

CREDITS
Dr.Pepper--Multiple accounts of credit for him: creating the base Amy, helping with the walking frames, and in general just being the motivator in helping complete this project. Sure wish you could see the final result, man...

a cat--I actually had to do some research to find out that a cat was the one who converted the WAD in the first place. To that, I do thank you. Not only did you provide others with a converted beta, but you also made it possible for me to continue work on it.

The Sign Person--Unfortunately, whoever created the sign did not come forward, so this is the only real way I have to credit him/her. I truthfully did not have a good idea how to design the sign, since I wanted something different than the character's face, only blown up. Nice original design, Sign Person

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that port? because it was actually ME who did the original port, not a cat...

Proof (the original release topic, notice how a cat himself posts in it as well): http://srb2skybase.org/mb/showthread.php/40-Tikal-for-2.0

I also did the sign, but there's no real way to prove that(unless you consider the fact the original release uses the same one)...

Oh, hey, cool! I was wondering where I would find a Tikal to use in my project I'm doing... Can't wait to try this out. :D

Metal Knux said:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that port? because it was actually ME who did the original port, not a cat...

Proof (the original release topic, notice how a cat himself posts in it as well): http://srb2skybase.org/mb/showthread...-Tikal-for-2.0

I also did the sign, but there's no real way to prove that(unless you consider the fact the original release uses the same one)...
Oh, really? That's...interesting to know. Well, I certainly do not wish to not give credit where it is due, but it appears that I cannot edit the original post. I do apoligize, and thank you very much for your contribution.

Last edited:
Apologies for the double post, but...
New Link for the latest version!
http://www.mediafire.com/?txrz35qz4t807d5

Changes are as follows:
-Tweaked maxspeed. She's now the same speed as knux.
-Lowered her jumpheight. She's 5 points below knux, but the fact that she can speed glide still makes her far more powereful.
-Specified her for version 2...at least I think I did it right...

As always, if anyone has a problem with what she does, or visual problems, do let me know so I can attempt to fix it. I am still tweaking with the stats to find an equal balance, so do let me know what you all think of that.

@Charybdizs: What kind of project may I ask? I'm actually kind of curious what Tikal is needed for..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back