Skybox help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARTEZUI

Also known as CyberSonic
oof its me again

So I'm trying to make a custom skybox, with a thok barrier so that there's no walls. It worked perfectly on another map... but... when I do it on this one... uh...

985396be1b.png

Yeah... help? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, it worked just as expected in plenty of my other maps, but for this one it isn't doing it?

The only thing that comes to my mind is the ceiling flat on the thok barrier. In order to display the "Invisible walls" the ceiling must have the texture F_SKY1, otherwise the walls will display a normal texture, which in this case seem to be missing.

VmPPthO.png

Well, no, F_SKY1 is the ceiling flat. This is what the skybox currently looks like in Zone Builder, which confuses me.
77239be330.jpg

Make sure the upper texture for whatever direction that linedef is at is set to "-", AKA untextured, and that the thok barrier is closed and the thok barrier's ceiling flat is F_SKY1. Maybe even check that the floor height isn't the same as the ceiling of the contiguous ceiling.
If you already did all of these, I'm not sure. You could try recreating the problem in a different wad and attach it here so somebody can help you?

Make sure the upper texture for whatever direction that linedef is at is set to "-", AKA untextured, and that the thok barrier is closed and the thok barrier's ceiling flat is F_SKY1. Maybe even check that the floor height isn't the same as the ceiling of the contiguous ceiling.
If you already did all of these, I'm not sure. You could try recreating the problem in a different wad and attach it here so somebody can help you?

I did these, it didn't work, I'm resorting to attaching a test wad... thing.

I copied and pasted the skybox from the level it was made for and placed it in this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86fb2d6zbl8pwy8/testwadthingeh.wad?dl=1

I just checked the wad.
The skybox's floor height was around 4000 racunits or so, while the sector you're working on has a ceiling height of 128 fracunits.
The skybox object tends to ignore the Z position (I think?), so you should level the skybox with the playable part of the map.

p6DTKkn.png

Last edited:
Yeah the skybox object ignores the Z position you give it, you have to use the angle to lift it off the floor. So instead of Z = 128 you give it an angle of 128.

I just checked the wad.
The skybox's floor height was around 4000 racunits or so, while the sector you're working on has a ceiling height of 128 fracunits.
The skybox object tends to ignore the Z position (I think?), so you should level the skybox with the playable part of the map.

p6DTKkn.png

Well... uh... the part where you actually SEE the skybox is at the height of the skybox. In fact, the thok barrier of the skybox and the thok barrier of said part are equal. (And the player is actually ABOVE the thok barrier by only about 20 or so units.)

Should I change the level of it or something?

Yeah, like it was said before, just level the skybox sectors with the actual map. Like this:

3MrYdeF.png

In the future, make sure the skybox floor height doesn't surpass the celing height of the playable part of the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back