Yet Another 2.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet I would not be the least bit surprised to see the same scaled-up Black Eggman model with the ugly brown banding on his shoulders.
We've been considering re-rendering him, actually. Just haven't gotten around to it. (Doesn't help that I'm not sure who rendered him initially...)

You're contradicting yourself. First you say SRB2 should add bots, then right in the next sentence you're arguing against it. 2.1 already has one bot, the Sonic & Tails option in single player. So I'm not sure what you're asking for.

Bots in single player. For characters wads that you want to follow around or perhaps take a picture of them and transform it into a texture. Then use the texture in a level, I don't know. What if you want to just have a game with bots.

Well, he meant that he doesn't want multiplayer bots, but just single player ones.

I never found the point to single player ones, even if they aren't harmful. In multiplayer, some people get really terrible connections and can't play in servers without each action lagging a second or two, but bots can operate on your own computer, thus killing that problem. They can be pretty competent with the player's skill, too. However, there's not really much to do with bots in single player. They just stand around and follow you.

Multiplayer bots would be nice but it lags terribly. If they were to fix the lag, then multiplayer bots would be just as good.

Don't they also go around killing nearby enemies and collecting rings? (Talking about SRB2CB bots)

Which also makes it fun to play in single player. Plus, who doesn't like a boat load of players following your every move stalking you down until you go mad?

I love the new outdoor theme for THZ2, it reminds me of some of the sonic games that have levels set in Metropolitan areas, The 'evil' feel of the buildings adds some artistic depth to the map and gives a more indepth feel of the overall theme of THZ.

^_^=|3 <== Thumbs Up

Speaking of which, is there any plan to replace the render with a drawing in the characters' style? Even if that was just a trace over the render, that would be okay in my book.

This is a late question about LUA. Can we edit menus and menu items like how SRB2Riders has different menu positions for some selections and different backgrounds or are we only allowed to work with game mechanics? I don't know anything about LUA and I'm kinda curious.

Hey, quick question, since I'm unsure of the answer. When is the first 2D section in SRB2? Because if it's Egg Rock Zone, it would be difficult to learn on the spot the rules of 2D and that. I know it would be quite quick, but even a brief touch on it in another zone would be enough.

Yes, ERZ is the only zone in SRB2 with 2D segments, but I don't understand why it would be necessary to introduce 2D gameplay earlier on in the game, or how it would be beneficial. It would be like introducing reverse gravity in CEZ, or lava in GFZ. It wouldn't make sense, and nothing would be gained from it. There's no point in introducing a gameplay element before it's actually going to be used.

What is necessary is to introduce a new gameplay concept in a comparatively safe and simple environment before using it in more difficult scenario, but I see no reason why that can't be done in the same level. Of the three 2D segments in ERZ, none start out particularly difficult or complex, leaving the player with enough time to figure out what's going on.

Redoing the Arid Canyon Zone 1 final room is a very good idea, i always thought that that room was too difficult.

Aerial Garden looks like awesome in this picture. The new sky give it a totally new visual. Does Cloud Palace and Nimbus ruins will also use that sky? Increasing the difficulty is also good because i think that it was too easy compared to Azure Temple Zone.

I like the Sonic and Tails option. I was already playing as Sonic in single player but it will be very fun to see Tails being hit by every traps, robots and other hazards just like in the classic games.

I dont really care about the tall pathes because i dont use custom textures but i hope that Black Eggman will use taller sprites now.

Techno Hill Zone 2 look totaly awesome with the new textures and the sky reminded me of Chemical Plant from Sonic 2. I cant wait to learn how to use skyboxes. Does Noxious Factory and the other levels that use slime will now use the new slime behavior.

Last edited:
Yes, ERZ is the only zone in SRB2 with 2D segments, but I don't understand why it would be necessary to introduce 2D gameplay earlier on in the game, or how it would be beneficial. It would be like introducing reverse gravity in CEZ, or lava in GFZ. It wouldn't make sense, and nothing would be gained from it. There's no point in introducing a gameplay element before it's actually going to be used.

What is necessary is to introduce a new gameplay concept in a comparatively safe and simple environment before using it in more difficult scenario, but I see no reason why that can't be done in the same level. Of the three 2D segments in ERZ, none start out particularly difficult or complex, leaving the player with enough time to figure out what's going on.

While it may not be needed to introduce 2D sections in previous zones, I see no reason as to why 2D mode is an EGZ exclusive? I'm the last person to want 2D sections shoved at me like Sonic Colors, but a few good ones here and there throughout the game might be nice and add value. Optional path ones would be nice in my opinion, but of course this is developers choice.

I've always wished 2D more's camera was looser and more comfortable, not perfectly centered, like the classic games. It'd make playing in it much more practical. You might want to even want to take the long shot and do it like sonic CD and have it pan forwards to show more of the direction the player is running in.

The 2D sections are exclusive to Eggrock mainly because zoom tubes make it easy to send a player in and out of 2D mode exactly as we want them. I don't have a problem with using that gimmick elsewhere, but I really don't see much value in using the gimmick too much more, because our 2D mode is rather limited in what it can do.

Am I truly the only one that finds that the final zone should really have all gimmicks you've learnt throughout the game and add a pinch of difficulty in them?

Don't get me wrong, I like level diversity from start to finish as much as the next guy, but if I'm at endgame, I wanna be tested and put what I've learnt to the best use. Besides, it's not like getting a Game Over in this game is nearly as punishing as the old NES ones; you can just retry the zone and redo the part you've failed at.

SRB2 is still pretty damn punishing. ERZ is hard enough on a first playthrough, but then you also have Brak Eggman, which is such an unintuitive boss that you need a walkthrough to know how to beat it. Players are certainly going to lose all their lives the first time, and then they only have three for all further tries.

Now that I think about it, would it be such a bad idea to start players with five lives instead of three?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding how levels are made. Do you guys make the levels alone, or do you send different revisions of a level between each other and decide on what should stay, and what shouldn't?

I don't think it would make much difference either way really, especially not in ERZ.

Maybe not, but it can't hurt. I'm thinking only three lives may be punishingly few for a game like SRB2, with its nonstandard controls, lengthy and difficult levels, and its zone-based saving. I know SRB2 is going for the style of the classic games, but the classics weren't in 3D, and the levels weren't nearly as large.

Last edited:
About the 5 lives, if I recall correctly isn't there a spot somewhere in ERZ where you can just keep getting lives because of a few conveniently placed 1up boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back