Strange sector error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatian

KartKrew™
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Well, my level for the OLDC was coming a long quite well untill I noticed something strange. In a certain area in the level, running into walls does not slow you down, infact, Sonic acts as if they arn't there, running full speed into the wall. When he jumps, his momentem pushes him forward. All things that I place in that spicific area do not effect the player in any way, you just go straight through them. Does anyone know the solution to my problem?

I do not know the solution, but this has happened a few times. Its like NOCLIP... with no NOCLIP. My recommendation is a thok barrier. Double Layered. But the Items still won't work...

astar said:
I do not know the solution, but this has happened a few times. Its like NOCLIP... with no NOCLIP. My recommendation is a thok barrier. Double Layered. But the Items still won't work...

I'm pretty sure that a thok barrier was one of the first things chrome put in. Anyway "NOCLIP with no NOCLIP" is not even close to what he is talking about, and is either called a Hall of Mirrors(HOM) or slimewall....(sometimes).

Back on topic. Gee that's a weird error Chrome, I've run into a couple of interesting glitches myself. Try adding another sector in the glitched sector, sometimes that solves my problems. I don't think I have ever heard of this error before though...

Its a very anoying error too Ice, all of my rings an enemies don't affect the plalyer in this little area, hopefully I might be able to find a way around it... If I don't, you see just what kind of error this is when I put it into the contest =(

This does not mean you should not give me any advice though. :p

Ice said:
and is either called a Hall of Mirrors(HOM) or slimewall....(sometimes).
Slimewall only happens with SRB2DB because it loves to default to AFALL1, one of the most useless textures out there (I mean, how many levels need it?). The real and only glitch is HOM, which happens when a part of the screen doesn't get rendered over. OpenGL normally shows a REDWALL in its place, but when the error is in the OpenGL itself and not in the map, HOM can appear there too...

Somehow the quote scrambled up :P (seriously, how did that second quote reach there?). Anyways, that was just a remark.

Sik said:
Ice said:
and is either called a Hall of Mirrors(HOM) or slimewall....(sometimes).
Slimewall only happens with SRB2DB because it loves to default to AFALL1, one of the most useless textures out there (I mean, how many levels need it?). The real and only glitch is HOM, which happens when a part of the screen doesn't get rendered over. OpenGL normally shows a REDWALL in its place, but when the error is in the OpenGL itself and not in the map, HOM can appear there too...

I was unsure, so I stuck the "sometimes" on the end there.

I have to say that Chrome may have exceeded the blockmap. I believe that the blockmap extends 16384 units in any direction from the origin. Try centering the map on the origin.

Of course, I'm not sure exactly how big the blockmap is, 16384 is just a guess.

That giant red line is the block map correct? If so, I made sure not to go anywhere near it with my level. I'll double check though.

The red line is the map boundaries. The blockmap, I believe, is about halfway between that and the origin.

Well, I think one area of the level passed that, but the strange thing is...Another part of the level thats at about the same area as the one with the error, and everything is fine there.

Edit: sadly, I was wrong >.<

Yeah, it sounds like a blockmap problem. It's not the position relative to the origin that matters so much; rather if the entire level can't be contained within a 32k-by-32k square, collision goes wonky.

Then why coordinates range from -32768..32767, which gives up to 65536 units? Anyways, I think he just did a weird design choice SRB2 doesn't like. Once I got a similar problem, but not by having a big map, but by having two walls too near (separated by 8 units only), SRB2 automatically ignored the collision there and Sonic could go outside the map, giving the same results.

I guess this has to do with the same bug that causes the need for a thok barrier, so in 1.1 this should already be fixed :P

There is a bug in 1.09.4's blockmap generator that causes any map that does not fit into a 32Kx32K square to glitch up when the player moves beyond that distance. This has been fixed in 1.1. Basically, if you can fit your map entirely into positive coordinates, it will work fine. A little creative reworking of pathways can generally fix it unless your map is just too downright large to work around it.

Ugh, I hate SRB2 bugs...

Seriously, he sent me the map to check it. His map is not wrong at all, what happens is that he turns out to touch the parts SRB2 doesn't like. The too-near-walls issue appears near the glitch section, and he also broke up the rendering distance limit (you know, the one that makes SRB2 to stop rendering after a certain distance), giving a weird pop-up artifact. Aw :(

When I noticed this problem on my level, it gave me a daja vew. I just remembered that the same error is at the end of Tropolis town in Gemplanet....Whats the rendering limit anyway?

Chrome the hedgehog said:
When I noticed this problem on my level, it gave me a deja vu. I just remembered that the same error is at the end of Tropolis town in Gemplanet....Whats the rendering limit anyway?
Fixed an honest mistake. Though I bet I'm wrong too.

Mystic said:
A little creative reworking of pathways can generally fix it unless your map is just too downright large to work around it.

Like casually using a teleport here and there. Labyrinth Woods zone has practically none of it's rooms connected if anyone hasn't noticed.

Would centering the level fix my problem? If so, how would I do that?

Note: Crawlas fall of the edge in the error spot, they normaly don't do that >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back