• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Woot! I need help again! (map this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetKrazy

Well, I've got something crazy happening to my map.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

see those floating things in the sky? That's the crazy glitch and I haven't found a way to fix it. Anyone think they can help?

Here's the wad by the way
http://pridemanga.com/jetkrazy/humanities.wad

The sectors which have those floating parts should have a ceiling texture of F_SKY1. Also, they seem to have a ceiling height of 2000 whereas the ambient sectors have the ceiling at 1000. I'm not sure this is what you intended. What you're seeing is effectively a hole that extends 1000 fracunits above your sky.

Also, the border sector that runs between the water and the platform that you can walk on is the same sector as the indoor part. This is maybe what caused your problems to begin with. You'll probably want to separate them.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, impassible linedefs don't work (reliably) in SRB2. To achieve that effect, the sector behind the linedef should have the same floor and ceiling level.

It also looks like you accidentally put in an Upper Texture on linedefs that don't need it.

And by the way, I think you're using the wrong waterfall texture. That's the texture for the top of the waterfall. You should use the texture for the middle section. Look at the bright stuff near the top of the texture and you'll see what I mean.

Oogaland said:
Also, the border sector that runs between the water and the platform that you can walk on is the same sector as the indoor part. This is maybe what caused your problems to begin with. You'll probably want to separate them.

how do you seperate sectors? The only way I can think of is to redraw the whole thing, but I'm sure there's an easier way.

I'm using doombuilder, so if anyone can help me in that program, that would be nice. I might be able to get to using WADAuthor if it is absolutely necessary.

JetKrazy said:
how do you seperate sectors? The only way I can think of is to redraw the whole thing, but I'm sure there's an easier way.
There are a few ways to do it. It's probably easiest to draw a linedef that separates the sector into two disjoint polygons, thus:
  • Switch into Sectors mode.
  • Left-click somewhere along an existing linedef where you want to begin drawing your new linedef. (X)
  • Left-click somewhere on another linedef such that your new linedef splits the sector. (Y)
  • Right-click where you just left-clicked.
ASCII art!

Code:
A---------X----------B
|         .          |
|         .          |
|         .          |
|         .          |
|         .          |
D---------Y----------C

Sector ABCD is the one you want to split, and linedef XY is the new linedef that you draw. Your actual sector is somewhat more complex, but the same rule applies. You may need to spit yours in two places, though, since it has a cycle.

There's a thread over at the DB forum on exactly this topic: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36481

[I sat a geometry exam this morning, which probably shows in my description. Just be glad I didn't try to explain this with vectors. :P]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back