What tweaks has Tails received this patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairebun

Community Noise Maker
Sonic Team Junior
To my knowledge there's been an effort to nerf spindash flight. Could anyone explain exactly how this works now? What other mechanical changes has he received?

Essentially, there are two major changes at play here.

First, when you press jump to fly up and you're going above your max speed, the game starts to normalize your flight speed if you're going above maximum speed. Each time you press jump, you go slower and slower until you slow down to normal maximum flight speed. This essentially nerfs spindash flight, although you can still do it somewhat like a glide, you can't go upwards without gimping your speed significantly.

Second, there's been a fix to a long-standing movement bug in the game that was easiest to notice as Tails. In older versions, when you're moving at or above your character's maximum speed and try to say, strafe right, the game would determine that your input would put you above your maximum speed, and basically drop the input to prevent you from going too fast. This code is why when going fast, you wanted to hit back to slow down slightly and THEN turn, because otherwise the game would prevent your action for going over the maximum speed. This was particularly bad for Tails's flight, because Tails's running speed is faster than his flight speed, just running forward and then flying would trigger this effect. Since you didn't slow down while flying, you'd basically permanently be in this state of going faster than flight speed and having your directional controls ignored unless you deliberately hit back to slow down.

In 2.1, instead of ignoring input when you're going at or above max speed, it adds the movement vectors together and then normalizes them to your max speed. This is the primary reason why Tails's flight is so much more responsive to changing direction now; it isn't dropping inputs when you're going at or above your max flight speed, and you're also losing speed if you're already over maximum, keeping your speed low and easier to control. If you're flying really fast somehow and strafe right, you'll turn right, but the vector normalization will quickly return you to your max flying speed.

While we have a topic exclusively about it, can I say "thank you" for fixing that bug? I can't believe how much more enjoyable it is to play as Tails now that it's been fixed. I would never have guessed that such a small bug could cause such a big impact.

Last edited:
Yeah, when that bug was explained to me, I thought of the issue where you wanted to hold back while strafing in air for maximum directional change. It wasn't until after it was fixed that I noticed the change in Tails and realized that that bug is what's been making Tails's flight so unresponsive for years. It's also nice that we got to soften the blow of removing the spindash flight trick we've all been abusing for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back