[Open Assets] FloatOrb (SOC and example WAD)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpshade

Usually lurks somewhere.
A while back in 1.09.4 I made something similar to this. This is the same basic concept, though with a change to how it works, for what I feel is a more useful net effect. Anyway, I'm no good at walls of text so I'll put some screenshots up and annotate. Feedback is welcome, and so is using this in your levels, though credit should be given where credit is due.

srb20055.png

To use the float orbs, jump into them. Simple as that.
srb20056.png

Then you can float in the air, traversing massive distances as any character.

To leave the float orb, you must do one of the following:
Thok as Sonic
Glide for an extended period of time as Knuckles
Take damage
Move into a VERY strong wind/current (The rightmost valley between blue sectors shows this)
Enter a teleport sector that either teleports the orb (Pushable Objects) or the player (Anywhere in Sector) to another location. This is demonstrated with the two blue sector valleys to the left.

Please note that this item uses MF_ENEMY, and as such you will take damage if you approach it when not spinning/jumping/gliding/etc.

Attachments

• FloatOrbTypeB (WAD).zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 608
  • FloatOrbTypeB (SOC).zip
    425 bytes · Views: 529
He could do white, but not cyan. He's just using the regular shield sprites from SRB2, and there's no cyan-colored shield.

Anyway, why did you add the MF_ENEMY flag if it isn't an enemy? Why should it have the potential to hurt you? Also, how do you control it as Sonic? All I can manage is a sort of sluggish drift.

Now I've got those complaints out of the way, I will state that in most other regards this is a nifty little SOC. Make some more stuff, please!

Anyway, why did you add the MF_ENEMY flag if it isn't an enemy? Why should it have the potential to hurt you? Also, how do you control it as Sonic? All I can manage is a sort of sluggish drift.

Now I've got those complaints out of the way, I will state that in most other regards this is a nifty little SOC. Make some more stuff, please!
MF_ENEMY is needed to make the SOC work, I wouldn't have used it if I didn't have a reason. I have a few ideas about how to remake it without it, but I figured I'd get this out there before breaking it again.

Controlling with Sonic is somewhat slow, yeah, from a level design perspective I think it'd work best combined with a wind current in areas used.

Thanks for the criticism, and the compliment.

He could do white, but not cyan. He's just using the regular shield sprites from SRB2, and there's no cyan-colored shield.
Although players are the only ones who usually use them, all mobjs use the same color translation tables. This is how shields and team rings work. In short, any kind of object can change colors into the range selectable in the player setup. So yes, the orbs could be cyan.

To make it cyan, give it the MF_TRANSLATION flag (which you have to add manually, its value is 67108864). You could then change the color with the A_ChangeColorAbsolute action. If you want to, you could set the target to the player and then change the color according to the player inside it.

Hey, are you supposed to rise when you go onto the strong gravity sector?
Its downwards wind, and yes. Downwards wind makes you impact more often with the orb making it rise quicker as a result, as far as I can tell. Although now that you've mentioned gravity I've not played with gravity and the orb yet...

SpiritCrusher said:
To make it cyan, give it the MF_TRANSLATION flag (which you have to add manually, its value is 67108864). You could then change the color with the A_ChangeColorAbsolute action. If you want to, you could set the target to the player and then change the color according to the player inside it.
Actually, unless A_Look() has been rewritten recently, I'm not altogether sure I could. Thank you for the information though I was loosely aware of it, I need to go check if this has a rather unexpected effect in multiplayer now...
EDIT: Phew, doesn't seem to be bugged in multiplayer from what I can tell.

Last edited:
Remove MF_Enemy and MF_Special, add MF_Monitor. Works the same, but can't hurt you.

You're welcome. ;)

Edit: While we're at it, what's the A_Look call for? Doesn't seem to do anything far as I can tell. Swap it out for A_ChangeColorAbsolute and you can colorize it easily, no MF_Translation flag necessary. (Or if it is, it's enabled by default)

Last edited:
Nice, I might try it, but on an unrelated note, If you messed a little with it, Could it become a Pull star-ish thing?

This is awsome! Too bad its not used in level packs or mods... It could be a nice addition.
Oh yeah and before I forget, is it 2.0.6 updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back